After 40 years finally ready Mustang GT Convertible

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
After waiting 40 years to get my own Mustang GT I'm finally arriving in a place that I can seriously begin shopping for one. I had hoped to get one in 2018 or 2019 but waited then Covid hit. Now I'm about ready. Like probably many here I've spec'd and respec'd what I want but here it is:

Must haves:
Mustang GT Premium convertible in Orange.
Does not have to be new but under 10,000 miles.
Automatic transmission
LCD digital instrument cluster option
Active Exhaust control
GT Performance Package (or equivalent aftermarket performance upgrades, my own dollars saved)

Nice to have:
BLIS or safety package
Upgraded sound (really don't care)
Magna-ride

I've been reading the news on the shutdowns and problems making cars, also the threads here of folks waiting. Waiting for decades doesn't mean I can't wait a few more months, same time I already have buddies that gave up on finding the new car/SUV they wanted because they just can't get them, I've watched the resale market and been able to find some GT's that hit almost every right button. Looking for feedback from others who have had experiences buying new and barely used. Opinions and advice welcome too. And yes I'm set on orange and a convertible. Going to drive the PCH with my girl.
Sponsored

UpACurb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 20 Explorer
put together searches on carmax autotrader and car guru with new listing notifications- that way you get a text when a vehicle matching what you want shows up-

Thats what I did- took me 4 months to find what I want at a reasonable price

OP
OP
gone_n_60

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
thanks... at times I'm split on going to just buy a new one and order it, but if I can find my Must have's and it's new or under 1000 miles, why wait?

Hillsndale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 Magneride Magnetic Grey
What was it about the Mustang 40 years ago that made it your quest? Was it the Fox body generation specifically or older Mustangs?

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
After waiting 40 years to get my own Mustang GT I'm finally arriving in a place that I can seriously begin shopping for one. I had hoped to get one in 2018 or 2019 but waited then Covid hit. Now I'm about ready. Like probably many here I've spec'd and respec'd what I want but here it is:

Must haves:
Mustang GT Premium convertible in Orange.
Does not have to be new but under 10,000 miles.
Automatic transmission
LCD digital instrument cluster option
Active Exhaust control
GT Performance Package (or equivalent aftermarket performance upgrades, my own dollars saved)

Nice to have:
BLIS or safety package
Upgraded sound (really don't care)
Magna-ride

I've been reading the news on the shutdowns and problems making cars, also the threads here of folks waiting. Waiting for decades doesn't mean I can't wait a few more months, same time I already have buddies that gave up on finding the new car/SUV they wanted because they just can't get them, I've watched the resale market and been able to find some GT's that hit almost every right button. Looking for feedback from others who have had experiences buying new and barely used. Opinions and advice welcome too. And yes I'm set on orange and a convertible. Going to drive the PCH with my girl.
You're awesome and you're funny. You've waited 40 yrs? Does that mean you're 40 yrs old or 57yrs old and have been waiting since you got your license? Because a 40yr old and a 57yr old get different advice from me. So let's get to it...

Interesting that you wait 40+ and it has to be orange. I don't think I've ever known anyone who had to have an orange car. But hey, that's cool.

Your "must haves and nice to haves" are all on the money. If budget allows it and you've found the car... get it. You won't regret or not enjoy/use any of those options.

Forget about shutdowns. There a LOT of Mustangs for sale within your "haves". The only thing you should be focused on at this point is making sure the car was well taken care of, no negative history, maybe a solid warranty... other than that... go get that car and get busy living.

P.S. I've owned about 8 Mustangs over 30yrs. On my 3rd S550. They are great cars. Easy to live with. Powerful, sporty, reliable, easy to fix and modify, customizable, lots of dealership support.

Sponsored

OP
OP
gone_n_60

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
What was it about the Mustang 40 years ago that made it your quest? Was it the Fox body generation specifically or older Mustangs?
No I'm old enough to of grown up with muscle cars as a kid, teenager and young guy. I had a friend whose dad bought him a 1972 Blue Mach 1, a guy I worked with had a 1969 Shellby (Gold with black race stripes), others who had 6 bangers and one guy had a 68 fastback racer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gone_n_60

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
You're awesome and you're funny. You've waited 40 yrs? Does that mean you're 40 yrs old or 57yrs old and have been waiting since you got your license? Because a 40yr old and a 57yr old get different advice from me. So let's get to it...

Interesting that you wait 40+ and it has to be orange. I don't think I've ever known anyone who had to have an orange car. But hey, that's cool.

Your "must haves and nice to haves" are all on the money. If budget allows it and you've found the car... get it. You won't regret or not enjoy/use any of those options.

Forget about shutdowns. There a LOT of Mustangs for sale within your "haves". The only thing you should be focused on at this point is making sure the car was well taken care of, no negative history, maybe a solid warranty... other than that... go get that car and get busy living.

P.S. I've owned about 8 Mustangs over 30yrs. On my 3rd S550. They are great cars. Easy to live with. Powerful, sporty, reliable, easy to fix and modify, customizable, lots of dealership support.
LOL to all of that. I say 40 years since I was in my mid 20's when I decided on Mustang over Dodge/Mopar (love the old Chargers and Challengers too). But life, marriage, kids, career, divorce, more life and I never had the support or extra cheese to buy a decent Mustang. As for Orange, I liked other colors but loved the old Orange Dodges and Plymouths. Also for me if I'm going to own one of the most classic American sports car I want one that makes me smile when I walk into the garage, or washing it in the driveway and makes a "Here I AM" statement when I pull up to a light. Thanks for the good vibes.

I'll add that during the sad years, late 70's and 80's Ford did some bad things with the Pony car. I was never a fan of the Fox body or the Wedge. That put me off from wanting one for a while. I still love the SN-95 body style though, and might add one someday.

Last edited:

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
I got a few years on ya, and now I can afford the GT I want.
I'm 52 and keep thinking about all the stuff I should be able to afford once my house is paid off.

Sponsored
OP
OP
gone_n_60

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
Thanks! I'll be getting in early November. We did a deal so I can get the best rates, I put skin in the game with a decent deposit/down payment and they'll wait for me to have my ducks lined up. Be updating my sig then with the right ride!

OP
OP
gone_n_60

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
thanks! I started the post with my Must haves, Twister Orange was one of them! Now about vanity plates... maybe my handle here GoneN60? or LikeSMcQ ? PonyExprs? GOGOGT?
Sponsored