Sponsored

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Throttle house just posted a video of a convertible Shelby Super Snake (drag race vs. a Demon), and now we know what would happen to a GT500. The supercharged engine twisted the weakened 'vert. chassis and actually cracked the lower side skirt trim pieces on both sides of the car. Dodge Demon vs Shelby Super Snake Widebody // DRAG & ROLL RACE - YouTube

On the flip side, GM makes a convertible ZL1 which has more torque than the GT500 (650 ft-lbs of torque vs. 625 ft-lbs).
Dang it, beat me to it!!
Sponsored

Epona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rad
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
Also long as we are discussing end of ICE life options, AWD, electric and so on, why not build a body/chassis out of something lighter and stronger than current material? Aluminum? Titanium? Carbon fiber? Send off the ICE with an exotic version...?
Looks like we have some parallel thoughts going on: I own a 2015 white convertible GT with a recently installed Stage 1 Procharger (and some other enhancements like you; catback exhaust, aluminum drive shaft, etc.) I am not aware of a less expensive four seat convertible with a usable trunk (thereby ruling out the otherwise admirable Camaro). I just had some 295/30ZR-20 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S XL tires put on my rear wheels, so am planning on a 0-60 trial this weekend. We get plenty of snow here on the Colorado front range, so I know they are going to be "problematic" this winter, but what the heck? What tires do you have on your rear? Wisconsin is not exactly a tropical paradise.

plresultsman

Threads
Reaction score
Website
en.wikipedia.org
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
16 White GT Vert GT PP Roush Stg1 M'flow ctbck
Looks like we have some parallel thoughts going on: I own a 2015 white convertible GT with a recently installed Stage 1 Procharger (and some other enhancements like you; catback exhaust, aluminum drive shaft, etc.) I am not aware of a less expensive four seat convertible with a usable trunk (thereby ruling out the otherwise admirable Camaro). I just had some 295/30ZR-20 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S XL tires put on my rear wheels, so am planning on a 0-60 trial this weekend. We get plenty of snow here on the Colorado front range, so I know they are going to be "problematic" this winter, but what the heck? What tires do you have on your rear? Wisconsin is not exactly a tropical paradise.
Pirelli P Zero put on by prior owner in May 2021.

DaveB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 gt350, 16 gt/cs (wife)
Vehicle Showcase
Am I the only one that noticed the fact that he didn't know when the previous generation debuted? 2013? More like 07/08. 13 and 14 were that end of the generation

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Convertible GT500? Some day it will be as worthless as a 71 Hemi Cuda convertible.
Which if you actually used the power twisted into pretzels.

Sponsored

KeyLime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lenny
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT/CS Convertible
I hope you’re joking. The 1971 Hemi Cuda convertible is one of the rarest muscle cars and commands a high price value.
I was joking. If Ford built a convertible GT500 it would likely sell in really small numbers and for all the reasons people have stated. A fed decades down the road they might fetch a lot of money.

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, '92 240SX, '08 Evo, '20 Mustang GT
Doesn't Saleen offer an S302 Black Label with an Eaton supercharger, 800hp, and an option for a convertible top?
Do they reinforce the body for all that torque, or do they just have a disclaimer that if the owner twists the chassis it's their own fault?

S302 black label convertible.jpg

Sponsored

SROhlms

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Doesn't Saleen offer an S302 Black Label with an Eaton supercharger, 800hp, and an option for a convertible top?
Do they reinforce the body for all that torque, or do they just have a disclaimer that if the owner twists the chassis it's their own fault?
I'd have trusted Shelby American to do it correctly, but with Throttle House's video with the speedster, I guess not. I don't see anything on Saleen's spec sheet for the 2021 builds showing additional chassis reinforcement.

Last edited:

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, '92 240SX, '08 Evo, '20 Mustang GT
...I don't see anything on Saleen's spec sheet for the 2021 builds showing additional chassis reinforcement.
That's kinda what I'm thinking. That bar they added across the top could be plastic, and even if it's metal I can't imagine it does a lot for chassis stiffness.
I think it's more a matter of expecting that convertibles are for cruising, and the target customers won't actually drive it hard.

Maybe I should give Ford credit for not building a car on such a sketchy assumption.

Last edited:

Siege

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible PP1, 2003 Marauder Trilogy S/C #250, 1992 Mustang 5.0 Notch
The convertible S197 GT500 5.8L came with 662 horsepower and 631 ft-lbs of torque in a chassis 13% less rigid then the S550 convertible.

How many S197 GT500 convertibles have pretzled?

SROhlms

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
The convertible S197 GT500 5.8L came with 662 horsepower and 631 ft-lbs of torque in a chassis 13% less rigid then the S550 convertible.

How many S197 GT500 convertibles have pretzled?
Love stats like this.

Any idea how the chassis was adapted for the S550 and why the Shelby may have had the issue? I'm admittedly not the keenest on the convertible variants.

Epona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rad
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
Love stats like this.

Any idea how the chassis was adapted for the S550 and why the Shelby may have had the issue? I'm admittedly not the keenest on the convertible variants.
You know, that is a very good point. Not aware of total sales numbers, but the number of Shelby convertibles might not be large enough for meaningful results. So how about an extensive analysis based on a comparison of all hard-top "regular" GTs versus convertibles for, say, a ten year period? A lot of speculation is going on about what the impact of not having additional support really is; even if present, it might only affect, as has been said before, those who really push their vehicles to the limit on rough and/or winding roads...
Sponsored