dx2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 Velocity Blue
Misfire Detection Monitor
The misfire detection monitor is an on board strategy designed to monitor engine misfire and identify the specific cylinder in which
the misfire has occurred. Misfire is defined as lack of combustion in a cylinder due to absence of spark, poor fuel metering, poor
compression, or any other cause. The misfire detection monitor is enabled only when certain base engine conditions are first
satisfied. Input from the engine coolant temperature (ECT) or cylinder head temperature (CHT), intake air temperature (IAT), and
mass airflow (MAF) sensor (if equipped) is required to enable the monitor. The misfire detection monitor is also carried out during
an on-demand self-test.
1. The PCM synchronized ignition spark is based on information received from the crankshaft position (CKP) sensor. The CKP
sensor signal generated is also the main input used in determining cylinder misfire.
2. The input signal generated by the CKP sensor is derived by sensing the passage of teeth from the crankshaft position wheel
mounted on the end of the crankshaft.
3. The input signal to the PCM is then used to calculate the time between CKP sensor signal edges and the crankshaft
rotational velocity and acceleration. By comparing the accelerations of each cylinder event, the power loss of each cylinder is
determined. When the power loss of a particular cylinder is sufficiently less than a calibrated value and other criteria are met,
then the suspect cylinder is determined to have misfired.
4. The malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) is activated after one of the above tests fail on 2 consecutive drive cycles.
Sponsored

dx2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
Catalyst Efficiency Monitor
The catalyst efficiency monitor uses an oxygen sensor before and after the catalyst to infer the hydrocarbon (HC) efficiency based
on the oxygen storage capacity of the catalyst. Under normal closed loop fuel conditions, high efficiency catalysts have significant
oxygen storage. This makes the switching frequency of the rear heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) very slow and reduces the
amplitude, which provides for a shorter signal length. As the catalyst efficiency deteriorates due to thermal and chemical
deterioration, the catalyst ability to store oxygen declines. The post catalyst or downstream HO2S signal begins to switch more
rapidly with increasing amplitude and signal length. The predominant failure mode for high mileage catalysts is chemical
deterioration (phosphorus deposits on the front brick of the catalyst) and thermal deterioration.
The catalyst monitor calculates the rear HO2S signal lengths for 10 to 20 seconds during part throttle, closed loop fuel conditions
after the engine is warmed up, the inferred catalyst temperature is within limits, and fuel tank vapor purge is disabled. The catalyst
monitor is enabled for 10 to 20 seconds per drive cycle. When the catalyst monitor is active, the PCM commands a fixed fuel
control routine. During monitor operation the rear HO2S signal lengths are continually calculated. The calculated rear HO2S signal
length is then divided by a calibrated signal length, which has compensation for mass airflow. The calibrated signal length is based
on the signal length of an HO2S placed after a catalyst without a washcoat. An index ratio near 0.0 indicates high oxygen storage
capacity and high HC efficiency. An index ratio near 1.0 indicates low oxygen storage capacity and low HC efficiency. If the actual
index ratio exceeds the threshold index ratio, the catalyst is considered failed.
Inputs from engine coolant temperature (ECT) or cylinder head temperature (CHT), intake air temperature (IAT), mass airflow
(MAF) (if equipped), crankshaft position (CKP), throttle position (TP), and vehicle speed sensors are required to enable the catalyst
efficiency monitor.
Typical Monitor Entry Conditions:
Minimum 330 seconds since start up at 21°C (70°F)
Engine coolant temperature is between 76.6°C - 110°C (170°F - 230°F)
Intake air temperature is between -7°C - 82°C (20°F - 180°F)
Time since entering closed loop is 30 seconds
Inferred rear HO2S temperature of 482°C (900°F)
EGR is between 1% and 12%
Part throttle, maximum rate of change is 0.2 volts/0.050 sec
Vehicle speed is between 8 and 112 km/h (5 and 70 MPH)
Fuel level is greater than 15%
First Airflow Cell
Engine RPM 1,000 to 1,300 RPM
Engine load 15 to 35%
Inferred catalyst temperature 454°C - 649°C (850°F - 1,200°F)
Number of universal HO2S switches is 50
Second Airflow Cell
Engine RPM 1,200 to 1,500 RPM
Engine load 20 to 35%
Inferred catalyst temperature 482°C - 677°C (900°F - 1,250°F )
Number of universal HO2S switches is 70
Third Airflow Cell
Engine RPM 1,300 to 1,600 RPM
Engine load 20 to 40%
Inferred catalyst temperature 510°C - 704°C (950°F - 1,300°F)
Number of universal HO2S switches is 30
Six drive cycles may be required to illuminate the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) during normal customer driving, because an
exponentially weighted moving average algorithm is used to determine a concern. If the keep alive memory (KAM) is reset, a
concern illuminates the MIL in 2 drive cycles.

dx2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
maybe try pcm self tests, kam reset and some some drive cycles ?
the whole emission section is about 150 pages.

OP
OP
2019GT

2019GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
19' GT
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Do you have a 50 gallon fuel tank? 😂
Hahaha no just pegging the cruise control at 65mph and no WOTs!! Edit: actually, I said sea level helps fuel economy but I just googled it and maybe I am wrong lol

Sponsored

OP
OP
2019GT

2019GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
19' GT
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
maybe try pcm self tests, kam reset and some some drive cycles ?
the whole emission section is about 150 pages.
Yeah I checked over what you sent, appreciate you sending that. I saw the part about kam reset triggering the mil within 2 drive cycles instead of 6, if i understood correctly. Also, I checked the gauges today and I'm either up to 3 or 4 cold start drive cycles now. I have a theory that maybe once I reach 6 drive cycles (since your snippet mentioned that) ... maybe things will trigger by then. I also called up a shop just to get their opinion on the monitors still red and they said just needs to be driven a little more.

OP
OP
2019GT

2019GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
19' GT
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Aha!! E85 you're almost mine again... 😍

20211005_193847.jpg

OP
OP
2019GT

2019GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
19' GT
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Okay guys, don't make the same mistake as me lol. I accidentally flashed a stock tune, but not THE stock tune from "Load Stock"

After flashing my oem stock tune I was able to get all the required monitors in 24 miles and 45 minutes.

I had 170 miles on the other tune and was still red for cat/o2/ho2

I'm pretty sure as long as only 1 monitor is not ready I'm gonna pass emissions but I'll confirm tomorrow

20211007_191336.jpg

edit: passed emissions :)

Last edited:
Reactions: dx2

Pilafiction

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT
Okay guys, don't make the same mistake as me lol. I accidentally flashed a stock tune, but not THE stock tune from "Load Stock"

After flashing my oem stock tune I was able to get all the required monitors in 24 miles and 45 minutes.

I had 170 miles on the other tune and was still red for cat/o2/ho2

I'm pretty sure as long as only 1 monitor is not ready I'm gonna pass emissions but I'll confirm tomorrow

20211007_191336.jpg

edit: passed emissions :)

looking into the e85 tune for my 2020 mustang GT. Just had the ny inspection and don’t want any problems next year. I’m also on LI in Montauk. What’s the best way to do/install the e85 tune? You recommend any shops? I’d rather spend upfront then have huge issues later. also don’t have a tuning device and no experience loading a tune. I know Ford dealers will install the Ford performance power paks but they don’t address the e85, right? And that looks like around $1000.00 for 18 added hp, basically a bullitt upgrade. with lots of e85 out here that looks like a better option.

OP
OP
2019GT

2019GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
19' GT
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
looking into the e85 tune for my 2020 mustang GT. Just had the ny inspection and don’t want any problems next year. I’m also on LI in Montauk. What’s the best way to do/install the e85 tune? You recommend any shops? I’d rather spend upfront then have huge issues later. also don’t have a tuning device and no experience loading a tune. I know Ford dealers will install the Ford performance power paks but they don’t address the e85, right? And that looks like around $1000.00 for 18 added hp, basically a bullitt upgrade. with lots of e85 out here that looks like a better option.
Sup neighbor? You have e85 out on that end? Even in nassau it's not plenty lol.

Well Lund made it easy. You simply ordered an e85 tune from them, they sent you an nGauge device and that's how you load the e85 tune. It's a file you load onto a micro USB that the nGauge device can write to your ecu.

Only thing is nGauge is discontinued I think and Lund might not be taking on new customers who don't have an nGauge? I could be mistaken there.

Sponsored

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Has anyone tested in Illinois with a Lund Procharger tune? I will have to test next year.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line

Well Lund made it easy. You simply ordered an e85 tune from them, they sent you an nGauge device and that's how you load the e85 tune. It's a file you load onto a micro USB that the nGauge device can write to your ecu.

Only thing is nGauge is discontinued I think and Lund might not be taking on new customers who don't have an nGauge? I could be mistaken there.
they will sell you an HP Tuners RTD for any car. They will still send you a tune for an NGauge device if you have one and your car is 2020 and under. As me how I know.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Hahaha no just pegging the cruise control at 65mph and no WOTs!! Edit: actually, I said sea level helps fuel economy but I just googled it and maybe I am wrong lol
Yeah dude.. no way in heck your getting even remotely close to 350 miles with 16gals of E85.

Pilafiction

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT

Thanks for the info! Yeah lots of e85 all the way out here...

You're right Lund discontinued the n gauge and replaced it with an HP device. So that's probably the plan...sounds like e85 really wakes the coyote up. Your experience been all that?
Sponsored