Sponsored

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
They're still 100% naked and projected as far as sourcing the various "optional" components is concerned.

People complain about order to delivery times as it is. What if you had to put your order in early enough for Ford to have a better handle on sourcing unknown quantities of components from their suppliers? Suppliers need lead time, too.

Norm
I mean at some point, someone takes a supply/order risk. Hence the profit/reward for their risk. Otherwise there'd be way less value in assembly manufacturing.

If McDonald's waited until each person at a drive through orders before they correspondingly ordered the cheese and meat and buns and soda, it would make for a pretty disjointed marketplace. Someone taking bulk order risk also simplifies the equation for the component suppliers and allows them to offer their stuff at reduced costs.

The point is, if Ford can somehow do direct/pass through ordering with a straighter path (likely through a dealer) not only will the customers get a better product to their liking, Ford/Dealerships will take less sales/storage risk.

Imagine a scenario where every vehicle Ford made already has a purchase agreement in place. Again, I don't know how Ford and it's dealerships share/split that risk, so maybe Ford already has some level of comfort (purchases from Dealers) before they spit out a zillion vehicles.

I can imagine whomever takes the risk also eats more of the upside (profit). Risk-Reward.

This whole discussion is kinda similar to home building. Some manufacturers take custom orders and build specifically (under contract). Some build a bunch of homes in a community or development for a developer (who then in turn sells them either early in the process where people can make customizations or after the completed product). Some builders do a mix of both. In the case where the developer takes the risk, they also take the additional loss or profit. In some cases the builder and the developer (for homes) share those risks. It's a whole spectrum.

But it would be pretty criminal if developers lobbied and had laws passed that say you can NOT purchase a home directly from a builder or contractor and you HAVE to go through a developer. We already have that somewhat with licensed realtors, who act more like brokers most of the time.

The point is, the home marketplace is much healthier. You can order/purchase a custom home built to your spec's or you can select from existing new inventory or buy used, there's an entire spectrum of choices and firms all along the equation.
Sponsored

Kidd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/PP1 Rapid Red
I’m sure this will knock out “the deal of the year” prices that some people are able to negotiate on on cars but I’m glad to see Ford and hopefully others going in this direction, it just makes more sense. It’s a more sustainable business model.

circatee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Circatee
Vehicle(s)
2021 MUSTANG GT Premium Fastback
In a way, I like the idea. Same as going shopping for food or clothes.
However, I am curious. Say I order a car, with specifications to my liking. Then, I receive it, 'test drive' it, and do not like it (doesn't drive smooth, etcetera). Then what?

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
Every new vehicle I bought was either off the lot or on some other dealer's lot and my dealer could get it to me in a day or two.
Being able to test drive a car on the lot kept me from ordering a big mistake.
Getting a car off the lot I was able to get options I didn't know I wanted but must have now.
If I had ordered the car, I wouldn't have gotten as nice a car as the one the dealer got for me.
I don't like dealerships, but I don't hate them either. They are just part of doing business, and with a dealer network, I can buy my vehicle at one dealer, and get it serviced at another of my choice.

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
The factory might want to do it,, but the dealers would order inventory anyways, to make same day sales. They might be able to get more customers to order cars if they let people ordering cars,, actually order just the items they want and not the prearranged packages the marketing people come up with. You might be able to get some of the electronics or performance items without the luxury items you may not want. Maybe you could put together modern version of the LX fox body with all the performance and cloth seats and base trim, etc??

Sponsored

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
The factory might want to do it,, but the dealers would order inventory anyways, to make same day sales. They might be able to get more customers to order cars if they let people ordering cars,, actually order just the items they want and not the prearranged packages the marketing people come up with. You might be able to get some of the electronics or performance items without the luxury items you may not want. Maybe you could put together modern version of the LX fox body with all the performance and cloth seats and base trim, etc, as an incentive for ordering your Mustang???

prototipo20

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guillermo
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang V6
Down here in the Dominican Republic, you can only "custom order" the current gen. of the Mustang GT. If you want to buy from the dealer's inventory your options are Ecoboost and Ecoboost.

snakeyes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chaz
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500, Performance Blue, Black stripes
I’m sure some dealers will be hurt by this. No just looking at cars and taking one home that day. Look to Ford to try to get rid of the dealer network. They want all the profit from start to finish. They got rid of all the Motorcraft parts distributors in the early 2000’s to keep all that profit. It going to be a progression. The Tesla model of car buying and servicing.
Dealers will be killed by this - "Thanks God" hopefully so much so that they go directly out of business all of the God Forsaken - you know whats... I have zero use for any of them đź‘żđź‘żđź‘ż

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
Some folks, can't think past their nose.
kill the dealers and now your repairs have to be done under warranty at a "hub" . Sorry sir we can get you in, on feb. 20th 2022 (today is Oct. 1st). Sorry no we don't offer you a loaner vehicle while you wait for yours to be repaired.
Then you have out of warranty repairs that might be done by a lic. shop. but because of no dealers and parts dept. the part needed is at a warehouse parts hub, 4 hundred miles away,
It is Friday, we will have the part by tuesday, and it might be ready by wens . afternoon. Or we can over night it, at a cost of 98.00 shipping and you might get your vehicle back on monday late afternoon. What would you like us to do. and this is ASSUMING we get the correct part and don't have to wait if it is the wrong one.

danpass

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST Triple Yellow
I believe Tesla triggered the idea of ordering into the mainstream consciousness and Zach, and dealers like him, utilized that trigger and are about 5 years ahead of the traditional dealership.

When I went into the local Ford dealership this past July, ordering a car was this mystical process that would take 26 weeks blah blah … because they wanted to get rid of what was on the lot.

Instead of just trying to sell me what I wanted, get the order in, and then grab the next buyer, they were trying to sell me what they wanted.

They weren’t interested in building up an order bank, to use that potentially as a transition tool, either into a new or hybrid model of selling or even just to weather the bureaucratic pandemic craziness.

They LITERALLY made NO effort to get an order out of me. The salesman, after conferring with management, told me I could just go on the ford website and have it delivered to the dealership.

So, as far as I’m concerned, management told their guy to send me online and not waste any more time on me, as though there were some line of customers at the dealership. Typical choleric thought process. Morons.

So Zach, a billion miles away, got my business.

Icing on the cake would be to have the car delivered at that dealership.

-

Last edited:

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I believe Tesla triggered the idea of ordering into the mainstream consciousness and Zach, and dealers like him, utilized that trigger and are about 5 years ahead of the traditional dealership.

When I went into the local Ford dealership this past July, ordering a car was this mystical process that would take 26 weeks blah blah … because they wanted to get rid of what was on the lot.

Instead of just trying to sell me what I wanted, get the order in, and then grab the next buyer, they were trying to sell me what they wanted.

They weren’t interested in building up an order bank, to use that potentially as a transition tool, either into a new or hybrid model of selling or even just to weather the bureaucratic pandemic craziness.

They LITERALLY made NO effort to get an order out of me. The salesman, after conferring with management, told me I could just go on the ford website and have it delivered to the dealership.

So, as far as I’m concerned, management told their guy to send me online and not waste any more time on me, as though there were some line of customers at the dealership. Typical choleric thought process. Morons.

So Zach, a billion miles away, got my business.

Icing on the cake would be to have the car delivered at that dealership.

-
Yep, dealers can’t see past a sell. The volume buying is over.
now let’s take the next step and Bye bye dealers. Probably won’t save any money.
Sponsored