Sponsored

The gripe thread (Mach 1 vs GT350, GT, etc)

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
I agree to an extent, but there are things those cars give you that you can't get in the Mach 1... though I see very little reason to buy something like an M4 these days, heh.
That's true. Some of them are expensive models for very rich people who buy them to show that they have money. Some of them, like the M4, are undoubtadly very good sports cars with few dozen percent premium (higher margin for manufacturer) but still the price isn't that far fetched. They do have vast amount of expensive options that can be had, latest tech like laser lights or HUD or carbon-ceramic brakes, it's surely nice, but adds even more to the price. I could buy M4, but having had Mini Cooper before, I know how much they charge for hour of service work or parts. Ford at least has some sense in both this and not paying insane premium for it. So I am perfectly fine with its quality.
Sponsored

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
like crippling debt and anxiety? Kinda like owning a newer diesel beyond the warranty... It is just a ticking timebomb until you have to take out a second mortgage to pay for repairs.
Reliability is definitely not the reason to buy most Audis, Bimmers, or Mercs, but many of these cars have meaningfully better build quality and materials (shows in everything from paint, to interior, to panel alignment), often higher-end bleeding edge technology, some more rarity and exclusivity (some people are into that sorta thing), obviously different styling that some people subjectively prefer, sometimes a more usable backseat...

And once you bring Porsches into the equation, we're really comparing apples and oranges, anyway. No one is cross-shopping those with a Mustang... But they are pretty sturdy compared to other German brands, even though 1st party maintenance is expensive AF (protip: never go to the dealer for an oil change).

There's also the option to go across the other pond and buy something like a Lexus IS500, which comes with its own set of tradeoffs. They are damn near bulletproof, though, as well as cheap to maintain.

Point is all these cars certainly do some things better than the Mustang, and there are reasons to buy them, even if you and I both think some people buy them for the wrong reasons. But I ultimately agree with you that the Mustang is a better buy... if you want reasonably priced performance, and want to be comfortable, but don't care about things like "soft touch surfaces" and whatnot... or if you want that V8 rumble and a manual.

Last edited:

BabyPanza

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cheryl
Vehicle(s)
2021 Audi SQ5
When you don't need GT Performance Package 1 (that costs $6500), then you don't need Mach 1 at all, and it's completely pointless to compare to it.

Need? All anyone really needs is a base Corolla. I was more speaking of want.

I wouldn't want one of those fancy German luxury cars like BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, that cost arm and a leg to buy, service and repair. I specced M4 and it still is 35k more expensive here than my Mach 1.

Understand what you're saying, but once one pays off the German car they can save the amount they were paying on loan/lease each month for service/repairs. Also depends on how many miles one puts on their car. We don't put many miles on our cars so the really expensive services will be many years down the road for me and I will be saving what was my monthly payment for Audi Service/Repair fund. For me it's worth it. After all, as many have stated on this forum, in this thread and others, most everything is subjective. And yea, German cars are more expensive (for a reason), but maybe not as much more expensive for some that spend many thousands modding their Mustang, some almost to the point of ridiculous. But, again their choice, just like Audi is mine.

BabyPanza

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cheryl
Vehicle(s)
2021 Audi SQ5
Some of them are expensive models for very rich people who buy them to show that they have money.
Or, maybe some people just value the amazing quality of a German vehicle and have the means. But then I also don't assume that everyone who buys a Mach or mainly a Shelby is doing it to show they have money. Maybe they just like the car. For the record we're not rich, very, or otherwise, nor do I care what others think about my financial situation. But, like me, you get to think whatever you like...

OP
OP
Kermut

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
Or, maybe some people just value the amazing quality of a German vehicle and have the means. But then I also don't assume that everyone who buys a Mach or mainly a Shelby is doing it to show they have money. Maybe they just like the car. For the record we're not rich, very, or otherwise, nor do I care what others think about my financial situation. But, like me, you get to think whatever you like...
My parents love their Q5/A3. To me Audi wouldn’t be one of my top choices- but again, it’s all about your personal preferences. They are certainly not buying them to flaunt wealth. Personally I define quality as more than performance and comfort (cough maintenance cough) which is why I defer, but I get the appeal hah.

IMO how you act towards others on the road is much more important than what car you drive.

Sponsored

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Premium. 6MT, Blue, upgraded wheels
First, great write up. Your thoughts and ideas are very well communicated.

I do disagree though on cost comparison of Premium GT to Mach. Premium Mach is $10k ($58.6k) more than Premium GT non-PP ($48.6k). I do understand your point if someone didn’t mind giving up the leather, the B&O and premium wheels on the M1, then compared to the loaded GT it’s a few thousand more. I guess like most things, value is in the eye of the beholder. Plus we want Premium.😉
Thank you, and you are making a fair point, I could have written this better, especially on price comparison.

I was focused in on how adding the PP option to a GT is a bad value proposition these days. With the current line up, its the expensive odd man out for someone who actually tracks. I almost bought one twice, when there was no M1 available. Personally I track just enough to make M1 worth it to me, but everyone has to make that determination. Throw real world price negotiations between two particular cars into play and its hard to write it out in generalities.

Personally I would never pay an ADM on any car ever. My max is MSRP and I shouldn't even be doing that! Luckily I struck a deal just below invoice in Socal on my M1.

Granger is a great option for folks.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Wow, I actually read all five pages and my view was still the same even before this thread came out 3 moths ago. The Mach 1 is a joke compared to the GT 350. OP… cancel and get a C8.
you list your wife's car in your signature lmao.
no one cares what you think.

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
you list your wife's car in your signature lmao.
no one cares what you think.
Just drive your overpriced Base GT350.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
The C8 is indeed an amazing car from all that I've heard, but it's also a two seater coupe, and I need the +2 functionality since I will be occasionally transporting my toddler (and apparently, in a few months, newborn!) around.
congrats! when is the next one coming? my first will be here in February and i'm very excited!

congrats on the 2nd one!

don't forget the matching recaro childs seat:
https://www.adaptivemall.com/remore...MIiqWLytmD8wIVoCCtBh3QkARaEAQYASABEgKSJ_D_BwE
unfortunately recaro kids seats are not approved in the US anymore. as someone that is shopping it really pisses me off!

I agree to an extent, but there are things those cars give you that you can't get in the Mach 1... though I see very little reason to buy something like an M4 these days, heh.
my audi is my first german car and i agree it gives me things that my mach 1 could never give. but its a different car that serves a different purpose. i'm very happy with it.

i got a deal on my s6 that included a great warranty and maintenance plan otherwise i might not have bought it. i would say its more expensive than a comparable American car but there really isnt one. the build quality and performance is on another level. i certainly didn't buy it to advertise money. i just couldn't find a well built performance sedan that offered what this car does for the same money. unfortunately ford, gm, dodge....... no one makes a car like this and if they did it would not have the level of refinement and quality.

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
So, a guy at work wants a new (at the time) 2017 Shelby GT 350 with RECARO's. Finds one in a small town Ford dealership down in the State and buys it under sticker.
Keeps it about 6 months. Sells it just under his cost to finance another project. Gets that project done and as far as I know he still has it. Then he buys a Merc. sports car outright.
I looked the thing up (can't remember what it was). It was a 6 digit plus sports car new, that he got used.
I saw it once. he had to bring it in and show me the day I drove my PP2 to work. I asked him how it compared to the GT 350. He said it was way better than the GT 350. I asked him what he paid for it, and all he would tell me was that it was less than the new sticker price, but that he told his kids that he spent their inheiretence on it.
I like the guy even if he is a bit arrogant, and I think he's got a really nice car. It will certainly out perform mine and is a nicer car, but I can afford mine without that much debt.

Sponsored

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
It's like you entirely skipped over my financial analysis in the OP
Pretty sure he doesn't care about things like "analysis" LOL

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kermut

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
congrats! when is the next one coming? my first will be here in February and i'm very excited!
/
unfortunately recaro kids seats are not approved in the US anymore. as someone that is shopping it really pisses me off!
Second one is showing up in April so you and I will be close together on that regard. It's a life changing event- you will be zombified, and (not to be a downer) don't be hard on yourself if for the first months you are not enthralled with being a parent/your kid. It's a very rough learning curve and once they start to develop a personality is totally worth it.

We have a Graco car seat for our 3 year old that we've had since birth; when my Mach finally shows up I will see if it fits and can let you know. But with how the back seats are, you might want a car seat with a detachable base to spare your back

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
I have never been on another forum where so many threads degenerate in pointless arguments and personal attacks….
Why ?
Having different opinions and taste is ok
It almost feel like the polarization of America with its uncivil discourse and alternate reality is becoming prevalent at every level of society
Sponsored