Winter Tire Help Please

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
Wonder why they didn't test the X-ice Snow in there, which is rated higher than all of those tires on just about every test I've seen.

They also didn't use the better Blizzak WS80 in the test for snow.

They also left off ice completely. What a fair test of snow tires. 😂
Those aren't performance winter tires. It is a different category of winter tire. You're looking for this test...

Tire Rack Testing Studless Ice & Snow Winter Tires
Sponsored

OP
OP
geep81

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Those aren't performance winter tires. It is a different category of winter tire. You're looking for this test...

Tire Rack Testing Studless Ice & Snow Winter Tires
Exactly, in which those PA4s don't even compare. I was looking for a real winter tire, not a compromised performance winter tire that isn't as good.

I would like the best I can get for snow driving. I bought X-Ice Snows yesterday.

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
No one is arguing that Blizzak WS90s or Micheline X-Ice aren't great tires - they are extraordinarily good in snow and ice conditions, but you do give up some of the wet/dry handling performance. If you're mostly going to drive on snow and ice they are definitely the tire you want for winter, in my opinion.

I've had WS90s on a Mustang for a couple of winters. They're great for snow and ice, but a little too 'meh' in the dry for my taste, and I don't drive in the snow enough to ignore wet/dry performance. That's where the performance winter tire comes in. As Tire Rack puts it in their testing summary "Performance Winter / Snow tires deliver better handling on clear roads along with improved wet and dry traction in winter's cold temperatures. The tradeoff comes with modestly lower ice and snow traction." I'll take that trade off.

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
D0316FEA-13AD-434E-80BC-38C1E115C21C.jpeg
This probably won't convince geep81 these tires are worth a damn in the snow, but PA4s are 3PMSF-branded, which means they meet certain criteria for winter performance to be considered severe snow service-rated.

Sponsored

OP
OP
geep81

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
To quote a wise man,
1631714475850.png

🤣🤣🤣
If you were being given advice about daily driving a Mustang in the winter from someone who admitted earlier in the thread that he doesn't daily his Mustang in the snow much and takes a pickup truck instead, would you REALLY count on that persons experience to sway you? REALLY?

What you've added to this thread amounted to jack in terms of the question I asked, you have just gone on a personal crusade to prove your choice was the right choice. You should go drive your GT350 more because you seem bored.

OP
OP
geep81

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
You do you, but don't pretend like we've given you terrible advice.
I will pretend I am getting advice I didn't ask for though, because that is true! 😂

To be totally fair and elaborate more, your experiences do not mirror mine either. PA4s may be fine for me 80% of the time, but that time I am stuck in an ice/snowy blizzard I will definitely appreciate that I didn't go for a performance tire for the winter. And driving in the snow for kicks is a lot different than for necessity - I need to get to work and not feel like I almost died by the time I get there!

We get that slush mix on the road. That slush often freezes and then gets more snow dumped on top of it. Makes for some shaky lane changes at the very least. The better ice traction and tread design for gripping that from a X-Ice will definitely give a noticeable benefit over non-snow tires.

I keep tell you all you are trying to give me advice for something that was never in consideration and not what this thread was about. I was confused about tire size I should get, not the type of tire. I just don't want a performance snow tire at all, as they are not better than a dedicated snow tire for the intended purpose. They are a great but compromised design and I don't want compromise I want the best for the purpose. Does that make sense?

I want to make it down my driveway without plowing. I want to drive in a blizzard with a foot of snow on the ground and not white knuckle it at all. I want as planted and grippy as possible in terrible conditions. PA4s will not get me there but they will get me close, I get it.

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
If you were being given advice about daily driving a Mustang in the winter from someone who admitted earlier in the thread that he doesn't daily his Mustang in the snow much and takes a pickup truck instead, would you REALLY count on that persons experience to sway you? REALLY?

What you've added to this thread amounted to jack in terms of the question I asked, you have just gone on a personal crusade to prove your choice was the right choice. You should go drive your GT350 more because you seem bored.
Have you used this forum much?? Personal crusades are de rigueur 🤣
Sponsored