Sponsored

Mustang GT vs ... (Post whatever you've raced and how it went)

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I'm hoping for the Mustang, Mach, and GT badges to fall off and land on a proper fastback version.
I would've preferred all three were never even humored for a crossover but here we are. I have mixed feelings on the GT performance. On one hand it's like "Ha! Eat it." On the other it's like "shit... giving the mustang a bad rep as a lame soccer mom car."
Sponsored

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
...got smoked by a bicycle while coming down TN 143 from Roan Mtn.
WOW!!! Was that guy screamin' on that bike........... :rockon:

beetle6986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 04 Cobra, 2008 BMW 335
I wish you all the luck and trouble free miles with your BMW. In my experience, from Mini to M5 to another friend's E30, all fall apart around 100k miles.
All depends on the model. The N54 engines are pretty bullet proof except for water pumps and injectors. I've been running e85 and 500 HP for the last 80k miles and have over 130k on the car. Their inline 6 engines are pretty solid. The V8s not so much (M series or non M series).

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Well, I never thought I would ever write something in this thread. I’m not really a “street racer” person anymore as I get older... but this was my wife’s fault.

Cruising on a controlled entry road (2 lanes each way and divided between them). Stoplights every mile or so. Top down, having a coffee. Just out for a nice cruise. My wife hates whenever I try to push too hard. “That’s for you go out for drives yourself” I am told.

Well, this gentleman in a new BMW 440i M pulls up beside us. Nice looking car but that kidney grill is just too huge now!

Of course my wife is a huge BMW fan... well this guy pulls up and revs his engine and hammers it. Slows down and does is again 2 more times. Finally my wife is now perturbed with this guy. There’s no cars or the road so this is a good thing. So we cruise to the next stoplight and Buddy continues to rev his car egging me on. My wife looks over at him with a not so nice look and nods and then tells me it’s ok to some times be an ass as well and says if I want to have at it. So coffees are securely in the cup holders and I took the quick second to turn off all the nannies. I didn’t really know what to expect but I honestly kind of expected more - or at least I think he expected he would wax me. Visually my car is just a stock looking convertible with big tires on the back...

Light goes green and he leaves first. I’m old. My reaction time is not great. Honestly, I pulled beside still in first then hit second and then third and fourth. I’m not sure how far ahead I was when I hit top of fourth. Several cars though. I mean it really wasn’t even close. Road was warm so the Nittos hooked well. Same tune exact and same set up I run deep 10’s at the track with. I’ve had Dragys in the 10.4s on the street so this run was likely very similar. Wish I had time to log it or run the dragy then but I never even take it out of the glovebox when I’m with my wife. Oh well.

We slow down with the fear of police at the next exchange. He pulls beside this time and just smiles and gives a thumbs up. I thought my wife was going to give him the finger or me crap but instead she just said she really liked the BMW.

I know very little about this BMW model. M 440i. Brand new or at least very new with the new inflated grills. Nice looking car.

Sorry for the length... I’ve read lots of BMW posts lately so thought I’d add this one in...

Sponsored

T.O.Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt Mustang
That's the point. People who don't care gain nothing. People who do care (mustang enthusiasts) lose albeit mostly nostalgia. Therefor...net loss.
Bad math.
Let me help you:
Assume electric car future is inevitable.
Assume Ford must compete in that world and must start now or go bankrupt.
X = what Ford needs to do do to survive.
Solve for X.

I don’t know about you but I’d rather live in a world where Ford continues to exist and in which it will someday build an electric Ford Mustang coupe that will be faster and handle better than any Ford ever built.
A four door version is just around the corner as it is.
That’s a net gain.

T.O.Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt Mustang
Well done. I do have to say 440i "M" :crackup:

Yes, but a CUV called "Mustang" is a huge net loss. They've got plenty of name badges to slap on the inevitable electric future. The Mustang marquee doesn't need to be on anything other than the type of car that's worn the badge for over half a century. Heritage matters. Tradition matters. If we all wanted a sensible, no-nonsense car, we wouldn't opt for a 2+2 sport's coupe.
Heritage means nothing. If it did there would not have been a Mustang II.
Arguably, until the S550, the heritage was eroded by the other intervening generations, too.
They’re hardly 911s.
Hell they’re barely Boxters.
I think Ford made an excellent marketing decision.
They ought to be congratulated as their decision may save the Mustang name just as calling a Pinto a Mustang did in the day.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Bad math.
Let me help you:
Assume electric car future is inevitable.
Assume Ford must compete in that world and must start now or go bankrupt.
X = what Ford needs to do do to survive.
Solve for X.

I don’t know about you but I’d rather live in a world where Ford continues to exist and in which it will someday build an electric Ford Mustang coupe that will be faster and handle better than any Ford ever built.
A four door version is just around the corner as it is.
That’s a net gain.
Went back and checked, my math is perfectly fine. I’m not talking about any other Ford vehicle or future or anything other than the Mach-E and it’s terrible name in my equation. They aren’t even remotely attractive to me. In pictures, I really did try to find something to like but couldn’t. Now I’ve seen a few in the wild and they look lame like any other CUV but with little nuances and badges screaming “poser” to me. If the Mach-E was a 2+2 coupe it would be entirely different. If the Mustang fades away as CUV EVs take over then so be it. I’d rather see it go out sticking to what it’s always been instead of conforming to soccer mom trash.

Disclaimer: “soccer mom trash” is only my opinion and in no way meant to be derogatory to soccer, moms, trash, or CUVs as they all have their place. Being a mustang isn’t it though.

In other news, I did see a Model X destroy a Mach-E on Friday on my way home. Made me laugh. Was about a 20ish roll and they were in the lead of each lane. I was a few cars back.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Heritage means nothing. If it did there would not have been a Mustang II.
Arguably, until the S550, the heritage was eroded by the other intervening generations, too.
They’re hardly 911s.
Hell they’re barely Boxters.
I think Ford made an excellent marketing decision.
They ought to be congratulated as their decision may save the Mustang name just as calling a Pinto a Mustang did in the day.
I’m willing to bet 80% of CUV owners wouldn’t remember the model name of their vehicle if it wasn’t a badge they see every day. That demographic is more concerned with efficiency, space, and cost. The main reason it has the sales it does is because EVs are the “in” thing right now. If the Mach-E was named the Ford Elctro-Chariot, sales would be about the same.

T.O.Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt Mustang
I’m willing to bet 80% of CUV owners wouldn’t remember the model name of their vehicle if it wasn’t a badge they see every day. That demographic is more concerned with efficiency, space, and cost. The main reason it has the sales it does is because EVs are the “in” thing right now. If the Mach-E was named the Ford Elctro-Chariot, sales would be about the same.
You know Mustang is just a name, right?
It’s been applied to a lot of shite cars and a few cool ones.
The S550 version is pretty cool, in all its iterations.
The first generation was, too (though it got kind of bloated at the end in the “Live and Let Die” era).
The Mach E is better than anything that came in between, with the only possible exceptions being some Shelbys that had adult suspensions or monster engines.
The rest? Pretty much crap.
Ugly or slow or both.
And all of them pretty badly bolted together by ornery UAW workers who cared more about the quality of the sandwiches in the cafeteria than the quality of the cars they were building.
So, that ranks this new Mustang you hate so much as about its third best edition.
Soon to be the fastest, too.
Not a bad addition to a pretty spotty heritage, if you looked at it honestly, in my view.
And so quite worthy of the name, certainly at least as much as a Mustang II or Fox-body with 150 horsepower.
Which in the end is just that, a name.
Nothing more, nothing to get messed up about.

Last edited:

Sponsored

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
Me vs ZL1 1LE Camaro haha
So... Must admit.. You should clip off the first 20 seconds of... What.. silence? Boredom? Other than that... Looked like a solid "runner's up" :) I give you and A for effort!

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
You know Mustang is just a name, right?
It’s been applied to a lot of shite cars and a few cool ones.
The S550 version is pretty cool, in all its iterations.
The first generation was, too (though it got kind of bloated at the end in the “Live and Let Die” era).
The Mach E is better than anything that came in between, with the only possible exceptions being some Shelbys that had adult suspensions or monster engines.
The rest? Pretty much crap.
Ugly or slow or both.
And all of them pretty badly bolted together by ornery UAW workers who cared more about the quality of the sandwiches in the cafeteria than the quality of the cars they were building.
So, that ranks this new Mustang you hate so much as about its third best edition.
Soon to be the fastest, too.
Not a bad addition to a pretty spotty heritage, if you looked at it honestly, in my view.
And so quite worthy of the name, certainly at least as much as a Mustang II or Fox-body with 150 horsepower.
Which in the end is just that, a name.
Nothing more, nothing to get messed up about.
Agree it’s just a name. Disagree with everything else. Mach-E is the first to seat 5 and the first to be AWD and the first to go away from an actual coup. Slapped a pony and some taillights on it and otherwise it’s any other CUV. Nothing special about it at all. Almost every other car maker out there makes a similar CUV. Far less make 2+2 coups with V8’s.

T.O.Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt Mustang
Why the fuck you buy a Bullitt then :cwl:
I bought a car, not a name.
A damn fine, fun, sharp-looking car.
Which it is in spite of the rather cheesy boomer name and its brand's spotty overall heritage.

velocity550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Did a roll will a model 3 dual motor aka the faster one, at 40 mph we went and were neck and neck till about 80 and then I really started to pull on him, like pretty bad. The model 3's definitely give the 5.0's a run for their money.

my car is stock btw
Sponsored