Sponsored

Mustang GT vs BMW M2 Competition

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Size is why I consider the Camaro and Mustang to be more of "grand tourers" or "muscle cars" than sports cars. Hot take - they're big cars.
Admittedly it's a somewhat arbitrary definition but I'm sure I am not the only person who would classify these cars this way.
Yes the Mustang and Camaro are too big. I drove an M4 back when I owned my GT350 and I found the engine to be bland. I considered an M2 at the time but I couldn't get a test drive back then. BMW manual transmissions definitely are nice, and I like the size of the M2 a lot more than the Mustang or Camaro.

The other thing I didn't like about that M4 is that the buttons in the interior seemed sticky. They weren't functioning very well and it was nearly new. I came out feeling like the BMW looked expensive and cost a lot, but had cheap switch gear. Maybe someone spilled a can of soda on it or something and I had a misperception, though. How do you like the interior controls in your M2?

If you think a ZL1 is ugly, then you're a flat retard. The m2 is ugly and the new M cars look horrendous. Sorry to break it to you.

The last good M car was the E36 lol
I think the last good M3 was the E92. I don't really like the turbo 6 power plants very much. They make power fine, but sound crappy. I think Camaros look good. Their main issues are ergonomics and usability.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Zissou

Zissou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS
Yes the Mustang and Camaro are too big. I drove an M4 back when I owned my GT350 and I found the engine to be bland. I considered an M2 at the time but I couldn't get a test drive back then. BMW manual transmissions definitely are nice, and I like the size of the M2 a lot more than the Mustang or Camaro.

The other thing I didn't like about that M4 is that the buttons in the interior seemed sticky. They weren't functioning very well and it was nearly new. I came out feeling like the BMW looked expensive and cost a lot, but had cheap switch gear. Maybe someone spilled a can of soda on it or something and I had a misperception, though. How do you like the interior controls in your M2?

I think the last good M3 was the E92. I don't really like the turbo 6 power plants very much. They make power fine, but sound crappy. I think Camaros look good. Their main issues are ergonomics and usability.
Sounds like the M4 you drove had a detailer that went overboard with cleaners (may or may not have done this to a car of mine many years ago), because my M2 buttons feel perfectly crisp and new. Not quite as good as a new Porsche, but very close. Tactile feel aside, I do like the interior controls - they are less fun and quirky than the Mustang's (toggle switches, and that weird climate control thing) but more straightforward and easy to use - very German.
The mustang reminds me a lot of my old Mini Cooper for interior controls; form over function, but retains enough function to be good enough for daily use.

I disagree slightly on the last statement; the f80 M3 is good, but the e92 was the last great M3. But they always say the best M3 is the one they stopped making. That said, if I had kids I would have gotten myself the f80 M3, even though the driver feedback (electric steering) & experience (I6) isn't quite as good as the e92; it's very good to drive, comfortable, practical, etc.

The Camaro has such a great chassis and powertrain - it's a shame they didn't make a more daily usable version of it. The ATS-V was so close to being that, they should have thrown the LS in it.

blitzburgh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BMW M2C
I miss the sound of the 302. There is nothing like a Mustang GT sound. Every other way I'm Happy with the M2

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
As a former owner of an E92 M3, in fact I had 2 of them. I think they really are going to be a collector car. I loved my 2013 E92 M3, I only sold it because someone offered me a ridiculous amount of money and my wife lost her job right when Covid hit. So I sold it and bought the Mustang. Love the Mustang, but I am not going to lie that I feel I made a mistake selling it. That being said I love my Mustang. I am having a ton of fun with it.

My E92..

E92 side.jpg

E92 angle.jpg

Last edited:

Wdlfbio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 335 xi, '07 2500 HD Duramax
This is a great read for me. I have no problem glossing over the what I like is better than what you like junk.

Iā€™m 47 and Iā€™ve had an E92 M3, tuned 335xi, tuned E89, 911 4s, and currently a tuned ā€˜16 235i (I refuse to recognize the silly M badge). These have been daily drivers with a little track time. I have a dually for chores. Iā€™ve been fighting with myself about trading in the 235 towards a mustang. No more track time, just groceries and work travel. Some fun drives. My biggest hold back is that rattles, creaks, other annoying noises, and panels that donā€™t properly line up would drive my OCD crazy.

I think that BMWs have a more refined presence and just feel ā€œhigher endā€, but part of me thinks I would enjoy the raw angst of the mustang?? Iā€™ll be holding off until prices hopefully relax in 6-12 months. Iā€™m not interested in dropping $75k towards an M2,so probably between a new 235 (no sedans), a new mustang, or maybe a used GT500 that somebody needs to get out from under??? A manual tranny is not an option.

Sure would love to hear opinions from folks who have experience.

Sponsored

blitzburgh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BMW M2C
I have owned 5 mustangs from 88-15. I have my first BMW m2 Comp with DCT 6k miles on it.

The M2 feels like a better built car. More solid. The Mustang sounds better and is more raw.
I miss the sound of the 5.0 but to be honest that is really all I miss. The M2 is just as fast and it feels more nimble.

You really cant go wrong either way. Both are a lot of fun

Thinking about getting a Mustang Vert when I pay off the M2

Last edited:

blitzburgh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BMW M2C
Iā€™m not interested in dropping $75k towards an M2,so probably between a new 235 (no sedans), a new mustang, or maybe a used GT500 that somebody needs to get out from under??? A manual tranny is not an option.

I don't think you can get an M2 now they ended production. I paid 58k New for mine so not sure where the 75k comes from??

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT PP1 A10, '20 Armada,'15 Tundra,14' GS350F
This is a great read for me. I have no problem glossing over the what I like is better than what you like junk.

Iā€™m 47 and Iā€™ve had an E92 M3, tuned 335xi, tuned E89, 911 4s, and currently a tuned ā€˜16 235i (I refuse to recognize the silly M badge). These have been daily drivers with a little track time. I have a dually for chores. Iā€™ve been fighting with myself about trading in the 235 towards a mustang. No more track time, just groceries and work travel. Some fun drives. My biggest hold back is that rattles, creaks, other annoying noises, and panels that donā€™t properly line up would drive my OCD crazy.

I think that BMWs have a more refined presence and just feel ā€œhigher endā€, but part of me thinks I would enjoy the raw angst of the mustang?? Iā€™ll be holding off until prices hopefully relax in 6-12 months. Iā€™m not interested in dropping $75k towards an M2,so probably between a new 235 (no sedans), a new mustang, or maybe a used GT500 that somebody needs to get out from under??? A manual tranny is not an option.

Completely agree! GREAT read, and thank you for all the awesome feedback from owners of both.
Almost the same boat as me but youā€™d drive yours more. I DD a Tundra (on Kings lol) and a Lexus GS350F sport. I wanted a ā€œFriday carā€ that was mainly track duty - fun car.
I purchased new 2020 GT back in June 21, and couldnā€™t even find an M2 to test drive. Looked at damn near every other model similar for the trackā€¦BRZ (too slow), Supra (no back seat), Cayman (no back seat), Camaro (too mulletey, not wife approved), GT350 (too expensive at time), S2000 (too old, not enough support, no back seat), Miata (too slow, no backseat), Lexus ISF - LOVED IT. If not more than the 5.0, but - almost same price for a 8 year old car with 30k miles.
I could not get over the actual feeling the 5.0 GT gave me (sound, Steeda AB + Hpipe) forā€¦..***the price***ā€¦ā€¦
After a handful of track days now, the stock PP1 form of Mustang really needs Steeda dual rate springs from the factory - PP1 is a boat. Absolutely 100% better, along with some squared Supercar3ā€™s - my questionable purchase of the 5.0 has been solidified. I love it and find myself trying to figure out how to drive it every day LOL. G-Loc R-10ā€™s are not street friendly, donā€™t even try. Ordered Baer rotors and stock pads to swap out for street.
Lined up for trans/oil/rear diff coolers this winter - which turns my $45K purchase into a $50K purchase for a reliable and capable track/HPDE car. Add $400 for Steeda and $3K for dedicated track wheels/tires - but that goes for almost any car.

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
I don't think you can get an M2 now they ended production. I paid 58k New for mine so not sure where the 75k comes from??
There is a new one due in about 6 mos and be available in Dec. 2022, its going to be a awesome car.

2022-BMW-M2-02.jpg

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!

I've owned both. Currently have a BMW '15 435 vert (tune/muffler upgrade)... had a 15 Mustang EcoB.

Mustang definitely had more rattles, creaks and other noises that helped drive me out of it. The BMW interior is still like new. I might have kept the mustang if it were a v8 since I never would have searched for something else.

The bottom line: the 435 is a much better car all the way around. I still love the mustang and can't wait to see what comes with the next generation.

JayAction

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Should have just got a GT500. Handles much better than the 5.0 and the digital dash makes the interior nicer than any bland BMW imo.

Definitely going to shit on a BMW on the highway as well

OP
OP
Zissou

Zissou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS
Should have just got a GT500. Handles much better than the 5.0 and the digital dash makes the interior nicer than any bland BMW imo.

Definitely going to shit on a BMW on the highway as well
There are cars that are faster than the M2, like the GT500 and Teslas.

Buuuut I like carving corners and shifting my own gears. Tight backroads in VA favor smaller cars.

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
I've bounced back and forth between Mustangs and BMWs for over 20 years.

I had a 96 GT and a 97 Cobra then I switched over and got an 08 e92 335i then an e60 M5.

I got the itch for another Mustang and sold the M5 and picked up a 16 PP GT Premium, but I always missed the M5.

I picked up a 14 135i Msport to scratch the BMW itch.

While I had the 135i, I bought a 19 PP1 GT. During the almost 2 years that I had both the 14 135i and the 19 GT, I put almost 20k miles on the BMW and 680 miles on the Ford. Every time I drove the Mustang, I was missing the BMW.

I sold the Mustang to Vroom in June for $6k more than I paid for it, so it turned out great for me.

I can just tell you from personal experience, even though I enjoy driving BMWs more than Mustangs, it's nothing against Mustangs at all. I may buy another one when the S650s come out.

I just can't explain the reason that BMWs drive so differently than Mustangs.
Sponsored