Sponsored

Is Magneride worth it to get the best of both worlds for a track car/daily driver?

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
You're an informed learned guy with the suspensions I've noticed. Riddle me this... A magnaride mustang that came from the factory with 255/40/19s up front and the taller 275/40/19s in the rear... any upsides to putting a set of identical 275s in the front to match the rears and square it up? Down sides? Not a track attack car. Just a guy driving around running spirited errands in a 4 season shitty locale.

I've read your meticulous posts in the past on this subject. But please oblige me on the pros and cons of that particular riddle.
I did a separate winter tire setup for the last 6 years on my 15GT here in Chicago.
Took the summer setup off Dec-March.
I am not forced to drive in the snow, so I only go out when it's dry.
I found the winter tires to be very noisy and squishy, basically took the enjoyment out of my driving.
On my Mach 1 I will be doing continental DWS all-season tire/wheel setup for the 4-5 months of winter.
Like Tony, I am also debating 275's on 9.5"x19" wheels all the way around for the all-seasons. Seems like they will last longer since I can rotate.
Is tramlining more of an issue with a 275's up front compared to a 255?
Sponsored

T.O.Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt Mustang
I did a separate winter tire setup for the last 6 years on my 15GT here in Chicago.
I found the winter tires to be very noisy and squishy, basically took the enjoyment out of my driving.
On my Mach 1 I will be doing continental DWS all-season tire/wheel setup for the 4-5 months of winter.
Like Tony, I am also debating 275's on 9.5"x19" wheels all the way around for the all-seasons. Seems like they will last longer since I can rotate.
Winter tires are not about just the snow, not even primarily.
They tend to be louder, yes, and if youā€™re prepared to drive extra carefully in cold weather on all seasons, I guess itā€™s worth the trade-off for you.
That said, all seasons are sometimes referred to (more accurately) as ā€œthree seasonsā€ because if you live in a place where you experience more than a month or two of a season that everyone would agree could be legitimately called ā€œwinterā€, I would still recommend to most people (underscore ā€œmostā€ - as I said, thereā€™s trade-offs) that they get the only tires that are actually designed for that season.
All aspects of the season, not just snow.

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
Chitown, I'll let you know in a month or two how the 275s all around feel. Probably following suit and avoiding winter tires like you wrote and will go with some quality all seasons that refrain from turning into plastic below 40Ā°s...if those exist anyway. I'll either cheap out and install them on a set of OEM PP1 wheels that so many people seem to be selling here on the low. Or maybe I'll plunk down some real money and splurge on some LMR SV-??? if I can make up my mind which set is for me. There's a guy on here named Baron64 who's running 275s all around on ET40s and he says šŸ‘ all day. Not winter set up of course but he approves. I'll let you know.

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
Go to winter tires if you are going to change over for the colder months.
All seasons arenā€™t much better than summer tires at New Jersey winter temperatures.
And itā€™s temperatures, more than anything else, that you have to be careful about when driving on summer or all season tires in the winter, especially in a performance car that is designed and encourages you to push its tires to their limits. Snow/rain/sleet, too, are a concern, no question, but not so much as the sneaky danger of low (<45F/7 C) temperatures.
An education in which began for me when I spun out my old MR2 Turbo on a sunny, clear day day that didnā€™t seem that cold, I thoughtā€¦ but thatā€™s another story.
Anyway, I intend on buying Blizzaks for Liz come winter (just as Car and Driver did in their long term test of the Bullitt) and probably mount them on separate rims, maybe pony pack shiny wheels to brighten things up in the winter.
Here the takeaway: of the three concerns you mentioned - snow/rain/sleet - if itā€™s cold enough for the first or last, itā€™s too cold for all seasons. Get winters.
There has to be some all seasons that grab in the cooler temps. No?

T.O.Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt Mustang

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I'll either cheap out and install them on a set of OEM PP1 wheels
just shod them with 255/40 all around and you're good to go. You can even rotate them with a 5mm spacer up front when you put the 9.5 wheels up front. Plus they have a heavy paint coating which will stand up to salt and sand way better than many aftermarket wheels.

the Conti DWS 06 are a UHP 3-season tire that WILL flat-spot overnight in cold temps and go thumpa-thumpa-thumpa for a while till it warms up. Ditto BT 980AS, Hankook Noble 2, BFG Comp2a, General Gmax-as5. The Pirellis didn't or it was only slight but they also felt sketchy in wet. The DWS really feels good but soft. It gets to 20F often enough in Virginia but around here we don't get snow worth a damn except once or twice a season but the crews are good at removal. If snow is a common thing, get winter tires. There's plenty of options in 255/40/19'ish to choose from.

Figure out what size tire is available and then buy a wheel to match. Winter tires are frequently relatively narrow. 19x9 is probably the best compromise since you can generally use 245-275 tires. 19x8.5 wheels are a dime a dozen but your size options go narrower, obviously. Yes, you can still be a 'man' and drive a GT mustang on 8.5 or 9 wide wheels.

https://www.americanmuscle.com/amr-dark-stainless-4-wheel-kit-19x85-1517.html

Last edited:

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
There has to be some all seasons that grab in the cooler temps. No?
All seasons are fine until around 10F on low power front or all wheel drive cars, as far as the temps. Never tried them on cars like mustang in such conditions.

But if you get real winters, there is no reason not to get proper winter tires. You don't save any money by using only all seasons and winter tires will give you better traction, much better traction. Yes, they are louder in general, but you'll get softer and more comfortable ride. Michelins x-ice 3 on my previous cars were actually quieter than some of the all seasons.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Chitown, I'll let you know in a month or two how the 275s all around feel. Probably following suit and avoiding winter tires like you wrote and will go with some quality all seasons that refrain from turning into plastic below 40Ā°s...if those exist anyway. I'll either cheap out and install them on a set of OEM PP1 wheels that so many people seem to be selling here on the low. Or maybe I'll plunk down some real money and splurge on some LMR SV-??? if I can make up my mind which set is for me. There's a guy on here named Baron64 who's running 275s all around on ET40s and he says šŸ‘ all day. Not winter set up of course but he approves. I'll let you know.
Hereā€™s the setup Iā€™m looking at getting for winterā€¦ ~$2500 with the continentals.
Waiting till the 7th to see what wheels Steeda releases.
https://www.americanmuscle.com/rtr-...I7k3apCEwxgF7k0kJXQaAqT1EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Radiation Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost PP Manual Recaro
I don't know if you have picked out a winter tire, yet, but I'm a California transplant that has spent winters in NJ, PA, upstate NY and Minnesota over the last 15 years. My first winter was in a BMW M3 with Michelin PS2s and needless to say, it was somewhat traumatic. I've been running Michelin Alpins ever since in winter. They grip in all conditions, even 70+ degrees and are not squishy at all. My current set up is 245/45-19 on the stock EB PP wheels. I love passing 4wd vehicles in 4" of snow.

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
They ship those right to your door with TPS & balanced for $2500? I looked at the customer photos on AM's website... those wheels can look good. Yea, the Steeda reveal should be interesting. Is your Mach 1 magnaride?

Sponsored

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
They ship those right to your door with TPS & balanced for $2500? I looked at the customer photos on AM's website... those wheels can look good. Yea, the Steeda reveal should be interesting. Is your Mach 1 magnaride?
Yep, shipped to the door ready to bolt on in the garage.
These wheels are only 23lbs each too. I wonder how noticeable a 10lb lighter wheel will be.
Yes, all Mach 1's come with Magnaride standard.

Rael

Grateful Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
There may be exceptions but all seasons are usually designed for people who drive family cars and just donā€™t like switching tires twice a year, not car enthusiasts.
Exceptions like California?

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know if you have picked out a winter tire, yet, but I'm a California transplant that has spent winters in NJ, PA, upstate NY and Minnesota over the last 15 years. My first winter was in a BMW M3 with Michelin PS2s and needless to say, it was somewhat traumatic. I've been running Michelin Alpins ever since in winter. They grip in all conditions, even 70+ degrees and are not squishy at all. My current set up is 245/45-19 on the stock EB PP wheels. I love passing 4wd vehicles in 4" of snow.
Conti DWS Plus got pretty good reviews for snow and winter
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...autoModel=Mustang Fastback&autoModClar=Mach 1