Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Zero surprise. The chip/inventory shortages boosted their profits significantly.
Maybe I'm missing something. How does a chip shortage with a limited supply of cars to sell boost overall profits YOY? If your'e talking profit per unit under these circumstances you may be correct, but I suspect that will only offset some of the hurt over not producing as many cars to meet demand.
Sponsored

320guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EB PP soon
I m a little older and have bought dozens of new cars in my lifetime, NEVER ordered one. Always searched then put my hands on before buying. Always thought I d get a better deal that way. Now after searching for months and not finding the right car at the right price (due to covid issues ) I ordered a Mach 1. My first order and I m not sure how this will play out.
1. I think I got a fair price at %4 below invoice and thats if nothing changes . In this unique time everything seems uncertain.
2. Delivery time can keep changing and I don t like the wait although I don t need the car.
For me I d rather visit a dealer with 10 Mustang s on the lot.
I ll reserve my judgement on ordering a car until the deal is done.
I think I went with a reputable dealer that I got right here!
I have only bought 2 cars in my life. One in 2016 and my mustang in 2018…

My 2016 Rav4 had all we wanted, but it was an order coming to the store. The salesman is a friend of ours and gave us a great deal.

My 2018 Mustang was a special order, I didn’t knew the sales man, but used my Xplan from work. I rather pay a bit more and get what I want vs looking for one statewide and then try to negotiate the price.

The emotion of ordering, picking up the car and knowing no one else used it before you, it’s a great experience.

I think dealers should get a couple of cars for testing and that’s it. You order your car from them and pick it up in a couple of weeks when is ready. That’s why special orders take too long, you go into a long queue before gets built.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
It would be a lot longer if they still offered optional engines like the old days.

S550 HPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost High Performance Package
I knew I was only going to probably have one Mustang in my auto buying life. I was not going to settle for whatever junior assistant sales manager thought should be on the lot (A10s, Recaros, stripes).

I ordered it exactly the way I wanted it and because of COVID I got it at invoice with free money from Ford. I am very pleased with how it turned out.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
Manufacturers would be tickled to death to move to this model. It will boost their profit margins by a ton. No longer will they have to offer crazy 15% off MSRP discounts to move old inventory. Everything will be built to order and sold at MSRP like other goods.

No more estimating what stock to build. I worked as a consultant for a dealership before and was involved in everything from revamping the sales process to ordering new cars. It is a pain in the ass to try and do your best to look at historical data and current market trends to order inventory that will not be arriving for months.

Do not blame them for trying to move in this direction.
OEM making cars for orders reducing quantities will put allot of Ford Workers out of a job, Hurray right? NOT: MSRP is a heavily inflated price anyway based on corporate greed. Got to love it.

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
This is my first new Ford for Me in over 20 years. I always ordered my cars with BMW and Porsche. As the ones on the lots were always over optioned. Even my wifes 2020 Ford Escape Titanium I ordered. My Mustang I bought off the lot, a first for me in over 20 years.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Early to mid fifties .............. :crackup: :party: I'm on the high side of my mid seventies.

God Bless you bro!! I hope you got another 75 years left in you!! I am mid 50s myself, the car business has changed so much since my dad worked in it.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
It would be a lot longer if they still offered optional engines like the old days.
Which would be a lot cooler.

I'd give my left nut to be able to order a base model plain Jane Mustang with GT500 power/innards and the bare necessities, just like you could in the '60s.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
OEM making cars for orders reducing quantities will put allot of Ford Workers out of a job, Hurray right? NOT: MSRP is a heavily inflated price anyway based on corporate greed. Got to love it.

Oh stop it employing a bunch of people. To produce product that sits on a lot . Is about as stupid as it can get.

Just as stupid as this worn out line "corporate greed." From folks that have zero sense of reality and the way the world works.

Go live in a tent and rid yourself from corporate greed.

So tiring the ignorance and the corporate greed mantra. Find another hill to die on.

Jay87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
It would be nice to cut out the dealer and streamline the entire process. Dealer would simply be the warranty repair center. When I bought my 21 GT a few months back the only thing the dealer really did was paperwork and try to sell me an extended warranty.

Am I missing something or is there some essential reason we need to keep dealerships around?

Sponsored

Smunczen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt pp2
The dealer concept is very outdated and will very hard to kill. The have lots money to keep them mandated in the selling of cars.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
This is pretty much the model my U.K. dealer uses (and I assume other U.K. dealers).

A couple of common spec / generic mustangs for sale (sometimes none) with one maybe two demonstrators.

Demonstrators are changed quite often (sometimes bought in a spec that they know might interest a particular customer who’s shown previous interest).

From order to delivery (lengthy in the U.K.) they try to get a purchaser for what was ordered as the demonstrators.

Everything else is a factory order.

Unfortunately, factory orders don’t arrive quickly in the U.K. …

WD :like:

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
In my somewhat limited understanding of the dealer inner works I was told by someone who was on the inside of Ford that cars that come in ordered with a customer have no floor plan cost associated with dealer ordered cars for inventory and that makes the dealer more money or gets the customer a better deal. Thats one long sentence , sorry. LOL

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In my somewhat limited understanding of the dealer inner works I was told by someone who was on the inside of Ford that cars that come in ordered with a customer have no floor plan cost associated with dealer ordered cars for inventory and that makes the dealer more money or gets the customer a better deal. Thats one long sentence , sorry. LOL

This is true, they don't have to insure it and don't use floor space. I went to South Bay BMW to look at a new M4. All the cars had a 5-10k ADM on them, I was told if I order the car I can get if for MSRP. Still going to pass.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Maybe I'm missing something. How does a chip shortage with a limited supply of cars to sell boost overall profits YOY? If your'e talking profit per unit under these circumstances you may be correct, but I suspect that will only offset some of the hurt over not producing as many cars to meet demand.
Up to a certain point a shortage is beneficial. If you only have enough chips to build your highest margin products, you will likely profit more than building the whole normal range.
Sponsored