Sponsored

Sold PP2 and replaced it with PP1 Convertible. Wish me luck....

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
Hey. First post so please pardon any gaffes. Sold my awesome 2019 PP2 red Recaro 401A car a month ago. It wasn't getting much drive time and we have a loaded 2018 GT premium auto for the daily so it was not used often enough.

The Recaros got old quick and the manual and PP2 suspension was only fun without passengers if you know what I mean. After selling it, I got the itch for another spare stang that was more "family daily friendly".

Just picked up a loaded convertible GT PP1 w the magnaride. Great price and couldn't pass. Was hoping to bridge the gap between our GT premium and the PP2 but with the rag top to change it up and auto for the wifey.

The car is awesome. However, the convertible is A LOT more "shakey" than I had expected. The lack of rigidity is very noticeable from the coupes. More so than I hoped for but I'm stuck with it for a while. Looking to make the best of it. I plan to paint the calipers, probably square the wheels with some PP2 style wheels, add a wing/spoiler, tint, maybe a tune?

Any suggestions on how to get the best out of this magnaride PP1 Conv without destroying what's left in ride quality would be appreciated. Please go easy on me for ditching the PP2. I'm already missing it but can't go back now. Below is old car and new. 🤙✌

0_20201010_164223.jpg

20210716_091656.jpg
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Get yourself a front chassis brace and a set of jacking rails that should reinforce the chassis. That will reduce the overall cowl shake and flimsy feeling with the body.

I’m not familiar with the convertibles 100%, but do they come with the engine bay strut tower barrack like the coupes? I would magine they should…

OP
OP
TonyNJ

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
Cobra, thanks for the input. Yes, it has the strut tower brace. Choosing the PP1 with the addition of magnaride and a strut tower brace was a must have. I'll look into the chassis brace and rails. Any tune/air filter recommendations?

Get yourself a front chassis brace and a set of jacking rails that should reinforce the chassis. That will reduce the overall cowl shake and flimsy feeling with the body.

I’m not familiar with the convertibles 100%, but do they come with the engine bay strut tower barrack like the coupes? I would magine they should…

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
There’s many threads on here about airbox upgrades.

Many have said the stock box is best, and just throw in a high flow mesh filter like a K&N in it… oiled or dry, your preference as it’s subjective.

I know Steeda, Injen and a few other name brands offer aftermarket air boxes that are a closed design, so again it’s more of a choice thing. Many Companies claim BS HP increases with using “their” box…. Most don’t tell the public their box testing was done on a dyno with a massive fan and ideal temps…. Not testing the box in normal environments like heavy traffic, extreme heat soak, etc…. LMAO.

Anyhow - an open box usually doesn’t benefit UNLESS it’s being used in a track environment at maintained high speeds. If it’s used in a daily driver that is jaunted around a few blocks without maintained highway speed (65-75) - and in heavy traffic/heat soaking conditions - it’s of no benefit whatsoever.

As far as an actual air filter element - me personally, I go with the mesh but dry…. Stopped using oiled air filters a long time ago…. Nothing but a PIA and is used daily, the filter media just gets clogged with dust/road debris.

Siege

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible PP1, 2003 Marauder Trilogy S/C #250, 1992 Mustang 5.0 Notch
CobraJet got it right, I noticed a significant reduction in cowl shake with the addition of the four point under brace. I added the full length jacking rails first but didn't notice much change structurally from them.

Congrats on the convertible! There are definitely performance trade-offs with losing the roof but enjoyment gains when the weather is nice.

Sponsored

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
I've said it before, I'll say it again - get the 2 point front subframe brace from steeda and the rear IRS braces / connectors. They bolt right on and the difference is ridiculous.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Any tune/air filter recommendations?
Hi Tony, welcome to the forum and congrats on the new vert.

Unless you are going to E85 tunes on Gen 3 motors have relatively little improvement. That’s not to say a good tune will not wake up the Coyote a little but many have found it not worth the bang for the buck.

Without a tune changing the air box will net you very little. CJ is spot on, just change the filter element and be done with it.

OP
OP
TonyNJ

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
Hi Tony, welcome to the forum and congrats on the new vert.

Unless you are going to E85 tunes on Gen 3 motors have relatively little improvement. That’s not to say a good tune will not wake up the Coyote a little but many have found it not worth the bang for the buck.

Without a tune changing the air box will net you very little. CJ is spot on, just change the filter element and be done with it.
Thanks Bikeman315. That sounds like sage advice. Waste not want not.

OP
OP
TonyNJ

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
I've said it before, I'll say it again - get the 2 point front subframe brace from steeda and the rear IRS braces / connectors. They bolt right on and the difference is ridiculous.
CT, That's quite an endorsement. I'll research that today. Any downsides or sacrifices?

Sponsored

Siege

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible PP1, 2003 Marauder Trilogy S/C #250, 1992 Mustang 5.0 Notch
I thought the rear braces didn't work since they used the same mounting points as the factory bracing?

OP
OP
TonyNJ

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
CT, is that the 2 point set up and braces you're referring to? Also, the rear IRS braces from Steeda say they are for coupes only. Is there company that makes them for the convertible? Or can I modify them to fit?

Screenshot_20210719-115527_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210719-120834_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
TonyNJ

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony