Sponsored

GT350 owners - should I consider buying this one?

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Most tech/base 2016 owners haven't had any troubles. Persistent high RPMs push the temps, and unless you plan on going to jail, not happening on regular roads. (yes, I'm know there have been exceptions, but it's atypical)
Let's be clear here about driving a 2015/2016 Technology Package equipped GT350 on the street versus a "Track Ready" car that was intended for the racetrack.

Ford made it mandatory to have coolers installed not only on the transmission and differential but also on the engine for all of the 2017 GT350 cars based on numerous GT350 enthusiasts tracking their 2016 Technology Package cars on road courses with Limp Mode not normally coming into play during street driven conditions unless as you mentioned if you plan on going to jail.

Been around many 2015 and 2016 GT350 Tech Package car owners over the last 6+ years who do not track these cars and have yet to come across an enthusiast who has had their car go into "Limp Mode" on the street including myself who regularly shifts my Tech Pack car at over 7000 RPM and in the desert heat.

:sunglasses:
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Oh boy..... do we need to resurrect the tech pack limp mode threads?

Yes, there were multiple reports of of limp mode on the street.

Ford went so far as to offer subsidized discounted transmissions and cooler kits for those who bought tech packs. I bought one of those transmissions from someone who never installed it and it still sits brand new in the box in my garage.

If it was a 2015 tech pack, I'd buy it. A 2016 tech pack? Pass.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
2018 GT350, 1200 miles Ruby was 48k ask in summer of 2019. New -Rs were being sold for 5-7000 off the showroom floor during the spring and into the summer.

Just because the current pricing is asinine doesn't mean it will last. Once the drugs wear off the prices will come plummeting back down to reality.
Speaking of trolls - just seeing a single car doesn’t make the entire market.

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
At the risk of irritating people on this section of the forum, I wouldn't buy a GT350 right now. In my opinion they are waaaaay overpriced.
Depends on the circumstances and what kind of deal can be made. Just because they're listing the car for 60k+ doesn't mean you can't negotiate lower

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
If its a tech pack, pass. If this was already stated, sorry, but I didnt read all 6 pages.
TLDR; it's a low-miles 16MY tech pack, but he has no intention of tracking the car so lack of coolers isn't a huge deal

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Speaking of trolls - just seeing a single car doesn’t make the entire market.
TLDR; it's a low-miles 16MY tech pack, but he has no intention of tracking the car so lack of coolers isn't a huge deal
Agree with both statements from both angles (excluding the troll remark).

The same thing happened with the 1999 SVT Cobra and the "HP" issues. Once those cars were labeled and blasted in the media, magazines and online - they carried a stigmatism throughout their life span - even to this day.

Everyone and their mother grouped all 99 Cobras into being "those were the ones" category. Even though the HP issue didn't and would never impact its daily use (ie: local or highway driving), trying to sell one (or buy one) always initiated some type of banter on the internet or at local meet-n-greets/Car Shows.

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
Last edited:

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Speaking of reviews, the Car and Driver Mach1 comparison test article was interesting - "How the 2021 Ford Mustang Mach 1 Compares with the Bullitt, Shelbys in Our Tests"

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a36840670/2021-ford-mustang-mach-1-vs-bullit-shelbys-test-numbers/

Apparently the Mach1 has really good brakes :like:
Agreed that braking on the new 2021 Mach 1 is impressive but other than that positive attribute I would expect more from the launch of a new Mustang model with an MSRP of ~$64,000.

Let's face it, the 2nd generation GT350/R's are a very tough act to follow therefore it is difficult to imagine that Ford could launch a new 2021 Mustang model that would exceed many of the terrific attributes of the GT350 and there are many outstanding attributes to speak of.

The last sentence in this article sums it up pretty well when the author mentions the lack of "charisma" for the new Mach 1 compared to the GT350.

OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
For what it's worth... today I called Ford Protect to talk about buying a Ford Premium Care extended warranty on the 2016 GT350 linked in my original post. They said that they can only offer extended warranties on cars whose powertrain warranty has not expired (this one has expired), and I'd have to talk to the dealership to see what kind of extended warranties they might be able to offer on it. Ford Protect also said that they normally don't offer extended warranties on Ford Performance vehicles, that also would have to go through the dealer.

From reading earlier posts, sounds like there's some debate as to whether the coolers on 2016's are a must-have, but that all 2017+ cars have them.

Looks like prices may be dipping just a tiny bit, will keep my eye out. A Ford Gold Certified 2017 at a reasonable price would be worth looking into.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
sounds like there's some debate as to whether the coolers on 2016's are a must-have
for putz'n around town and the country roads, totally not needed. Go to Pitt Race and you'll change your criteria right quick.

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
For what it's worth... today I called Ford Protect to talk about buying a Ford Premium Care extended warranty on the 2016 GT350 linked in my original post. They said that they can only offer extended warranties on cars whose powertrain warranty has not expired (this one has expired), and I'd have to talk to the dealership to see what kind of extended warranties they might be able to offer on it. Ford Protect also said that they normally don't offer extended warranties on Ford Performance vehicles, that also would have to go through the dealer.

From reading earlier posts, sounds like there's some debate as to whether the coolers on 2016's are a must-have, but that all 2017+ cars have them.

Looks like prices may be dipping just a tiny bit, will keep my eye out. A Ford Gold Certified 2017 at a reasonable price would be worth looking into.
Simply, I wouldn't buy a tech pack 2016 car unless it was an incredible STEAL. Like Cobra Jet said, there's an association with them now and IMO, that will continue to impact sales in the future. If you are the kind of person who changes cars a lot, you'll be dealing with a much smaller pool of buyers.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Simply, I wouldn't buy a tech pack 2016 car unless it was an incredible STEAL. Like Cobra Jet said, there's an association with them now and IMO, that will continue to impact sales in the future. If you are the kind of person who changes cars a lot, you'll be dealing with a much smaller pool of buyers.
Again, I would pass unless you plan to buy the track pack transmission along with the cooler kit and install it. I also wouldn't have any notions in my head that the car will have any future significant value down the road.

There is indeed a stigma associated with the tech pack cars and even if you did upgrade the trans along with the coolers, it will still have that aura about it.

I don't know how much Ford wants for the track pack transmission, but at one time they were available for tech pack owners (with proof of VIN) for about $2600. I bought one of those transmissions from a fellow member who sold his tech pack. I had it loaded into the belly of the flight I was flying home. If you could buy one of these transmissions and you didn't care about resale value, then that might change my mind.

20210706_151351.jpg

Last edited:

The Rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I bought a new bullitt in 2019. I really wanted a gt350 at the time but made the compromise since I would have paid $10-15k more at the time for a new non current 350 vs the bullitt. 14 months later the streets were swimming in Bullitts and the "special" was gone. Just another mustang.

As luck would have it my dealership took in a 2017 gt350 with under 6000kms and a Whipple to boot... which is currently in my garage. The difference between the bullitt and Shelby is huge (horsepower aside) Its a special mustang. You do not see them every day and I haven't looked back. The gt350 is worth every penny more paid... if you can get a slightly used one for similar money its a no brainer imo. Just be aware that its not going to be as user friendly as a daily.

The popularity of the Mach 1 along with marginal price difference to a loaded GT means ford will produce a ton.... taking away from resale values. I lost $15k on my bullitt (5000kms and 14 months later) but since buying the gt350 im up that and more.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I lost $15k on my bullitt (5000kms and 14 months later) but since buying the gt350 im up that and more.
you're not up even a single brass farthing until you actually sell.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
So I just took a quick peek at local available GT's... premium PP1's with MR and active exhaust are $54K??!!! Sheesh! And people complain about M1's being overpriced! Assuming GT's are selling for MSRP in the current market I'll pay the extra grand for my M1 ($60.5K sticker).
Yes if you "have to have" all those options that's MSRP for a new Mustang. Base GT MSRP is still under $43K. And some people say that they can negotiate prices on Mustang GTs quite a bit below MSRP. Maybe you could as well.

Not sure how a brand new 2016 GT350 is way overpriced at ~$60,900 and in fact suggest that this brand new 2016 GT350 could possibly be purchased for the high $50's based on some good negotiating which is well below the original MSRP unlike many other GT350/R's in todays marketplace.

I do agree that the warranty issue is of concern but unless I am wrong could someone not purchase an extended warranty for this vehicle?

As far as engine redlines go I do recall the 7,500 RPM redline for the 2012 Boss 302 Road Runner engine but suggest that the current Coyote engine in the Mach 1 redlines some 500 RPM's less than the 2nd generation Boss 302 engines.

Lastly, if you are waiting for a GT350 that is brand new and has just 465 miles on it and looking to purchase that vehicle or another like it for $40K or less that will definitely not be happening anytime soon.
I bought a 2016 GT350 tech pack car. MSRP was under $60k. I agree with you I wasn't factoring in any assumption of a different price than what they are asking for the car. Some people are really good at negotiating and others aren't. It's not a given that the OP will get the dealership to change their minds on price. At least that's my way of thinking.

I posted wondering if people knowledgeable in GT350's would be able to convince me that it would be a better option to buy a used GT350 now than wait for the Mach 1 on order. So far that hasn't been the case... maybe 12 months ago when used prices weren't so high it would have been an easier sell.
A GT350 is a way more fun car to drive and I by far recommend buying a GT350 over any other Mustang. However, now is not the time to buy unless you are a really good negotiator (in my opinion). I daily drove my GT350 in nice weather for 3.5 years and I loved it. I still regret selling it.

Let's be clear here about driving a 2015/2016 Technology Package equipped GT350 on the street versus a "Track Ready" car that was intended for the racetrack.

Ford made it mandatory to have coolers installed not only on the transmission and differential but also on the engine for all of the 2017 GT350 cars based on numerous GT350 enthusiasts tracking their 2016 Technology Package cars on road courses with Limp Mode not normally coming into play during street driven conditions unless as you mentioned if you plan on going to jail.

Been around many 2015 and 2016 GT350 Tech Package car owners over the last 6+ years who do not track these cars and have yet to come across an enthusiast who has had their car go into "Limp Mode" on the street including myself who regularly shifts my Tech Pack car at over 7000 RPM and in the desert heat.

NOT GOING TO GO BACK THERE! :fingerscrossed: I agree for street driving the tech pack cars rarely get hot.

I agree with this strategy.
Sponsored

Last edited: