Sponsored

GT350 owners - should I consider buying this one?

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I've had 2 Rs now...and while I wouldn't trade them for a Mach 1 - I think the Mach is going to be/is a solid offering. I'm sure it will be a very enjoyable car.
Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I've had 2 Rs now...and while I wouldn't trade them for a Mach 1 - I think the Mach is going to be/is a solid offering. I'm sure it will be a very enjoyable car.
I have read up a great deal on the new Mach 1 and agree that this Mustang model is very well thought out and well put together although pricing is not cheap especially if someone goes all in with various options.

If I ordered an Automatic Transmission, Handling Package, Appearance Package, Elite Package, Car Cover and Recaro Seats the MSRP gets very close to $66,500 therefore that is not cheap for a 480 HP Mustang. :crazy:

With much of the GT350 technology baked into the Mach 1 aside the from the FPC engine there is no question that this new Mustang model will brake, steer and handle on a very high level.

When it comes to straight line acceleration the performance times for 0 to 60 MPH and 1/4 miles times for the Mach 1 are really no different than the numerous times that our 2012 Boss 302's turned which launched over 10 years ago therefore I suggest that is somewhat disappointing to say the least.

I recently pulled out a couple of my old Road & Track and Motor Trend magazines from back in May, 2011 with Motor Trend testing a Yellow Blaze 2012 Boss 302 example with 0 to 60 and 1/4 mile times coming in at 4.0 and 12.3 seconds respectively at 116 MPH.

During that same month Road & Track tested a Black and Red 2012 Boss 302 LS model and it turned in 0 to 60 and 1/4 mile times of 4.1 and also 12.3 seconds at 117 MPH respectively.

Hard for me to imagine that after 10 years of engineering and development of the 302 that the acceleration times have not changed and in some cases the Boss 302 engine from 2011 turned in slightly better times for 0 to 60, 1/4 miles times and trap speed.

Bottom line and based on price alone I am very happy to stay with my GT350/R's as the new Mach 1 is not an inexpensive Mustang purchase especially if you want an example loaded up.

:sunglasses:

Last edited:

Johnnydarkgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R, 91f150,Lexus GX460 , 1965 Mercury comet cyclone 4speed
Vehicle Showcase
This is a wonderful situation for the enthusiast . A SHELBY GT350 or the new MACH1. I’d be happy to have either one. But after 30 years in the automotive industry I learned that cost of ownership weighs on your happiness with it . The Shelby has run through most of its initial depreciation, the New Mach1 is an unknown. I’ve owned 27 mustangs and the only ones I lost money on were when bought new .

The Rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Used GT350s have gone up around 15% since production stopped and they were replaced with the gt500. Not everyone is in love with the 500 and its paddle shifted cross plane motor. Not the same thrill as the 8200 rpm voodoo. That motor alone will always keep the 350 relevant.
The mach is a replacement for the bullitt. and its better but its still an upgraded GT with a unique appearance pkg. Ford will over produce them just like the Bullitt and they will depreciate in a similar way.

this should be pretty obvious:
- If you're going to track the car don't but a GT350 without coolers... street driven in normal circumstances im sure the coolers aren't needed.
-Cost of ownership will be higher with the GT350; brakes, tires, fuel Econ, oil changes etc.
-If it is a daily driver M1
-if its a toy a GT350.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Thank you! It would be nice to get it before the Pittsburgh driving season ends in November.

Just to qualify my comments on the M1 driving experience on the street: 95% of my driving is on twisty 35 mph suburban roads or 45 mph four lane roads with stoplights, and I don’t go to the track. It takes effort to drive these roads higher in the rev range. My GT350 seat time was in the Nevada desert where you could wind it out much more frequently. So the M1 lower RPM power band is much more fun on the roads I normally drive.
At the risk of irritating people on this section of the forum, I wouldn't buy a GT350 right now. In my opinion they are waaaaay overpriced. Completely out of line. For $60k I would hold onto my money rather than getting an out of warranty tech pack car. Now, if they were selling for around $40k or a little less, I'd be very interested. I do prefer some things about the earlier GT350s over the later ones.

I think for driving on the street only you would be better off with a regular GT than a Mach 1. However, the Mach 1 is better looking by far - so I can understand it even if that's your only reason for buying it. At $55k you are paying a lot, but you are getting a new car warranty, new car financing, new car insurance... there are a lot of advantages over buying used. And the current Coyote has a 7,500 rpm redline. Pretty good. Service items will be cheaper with the Mach 1 compared to the GT350, and you won't need to service it for a while.

Last reason: it's a lot of fun ordering and picking up a brand new car from the dealership.

OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
At the risk of irritating people on this section of the forum, I wouldn't buy a GT350 right now. In my opinion they are waaaaay overpriced. Completely out of line. For $60k I would hold onto my money rather than getting an out of warranty tech pack car. Now, if they were selling for around $40k or a little less, I'd be very interested. I do prefer some things about the earlier GT350s over the later ones.

I think for driving on the street only you would be better off with a regular GT than a Mach 1. However, the Mach 1 is better looking by far - so I can understand it even if that's your only reason for buying it. At $55k you are paying a lot, but you are getting a new car warranty, new car financing, new car insurance... there are a lot of advantages over buying used. And the current Coyote has a 7,500 rpm redline. Pretty good. Service items will be cheaper with the Mach 1 compared to the GT350, and you won't need to service it for a while.

Last reason: it's a lot of fun ordering and picking up a brand new car from the dealership.
Good points on the GT350 and they are all big reasons that I haven't been able to decide to get one.

Agreed that it would be hard to feel the difference between a Mach 1 and a GT PP1 with MR on the street but not gonna lie... part of the reason I ordered one is because I just think it's cool and like to have something a little different. Definitely not a bang-for-your-buck purchase. Never ordered a new car before, this has been quite an experience so far.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I'm kinda on the other side of the fence on this one. I maintain that the Mach is a great option. AFAIK, it doesn't have the same steering geometry or brakes as the 350, eiither but for a street or durable DE fun car, I think it has most of the best parts. If I'm in Fords head right now, I'm thinking about creating a car without the engine warranty concerns as the 350 and without the crappy transmission from the GT...the Mach 1 is born. If you've fallen in love with the 350 scream, then nothing else is really going to make you happy...but the Mach is a great balance of all the right aprts.

As far as Mach 1 cost... ALL cars are getting more expensive every year. Even if people are concerned that the optioned up Mach will cost 90-95% of the outgoing GT350, well it's probably 90-95% as great of a car, so I think it's fair. It's not like Ford is only offering an ecoboost and at almost the same price as a 350R.

What is REALLY going to make people upset is when Ford adopts the Tremec for every manual Mustang, instead of the MT82. #rememberthe3valve <--those guys got hosed.

OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I think for driving on the street only you would be better off with a regular GT than a Mach 1. However, the Mach 1 is better looking by far - so I can understand it even if that's your only reason for buying it. At $55k you are paying a lot, but you are getting a new car warranty, new car financing, new car insurance... there are a lot of advantages over buying used.
So I just took a quick peek at local available GT's... premium PP1's with MR and active exhaust are $54K??!!! Sheesh! And people complain about M1's being overpriced! Assuming GT's are selling for MSRP in the current market I'll pay the extra grand for my M1 ($60.5K sticker).

Johnnydarkgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R, 91f150,Lexus GX460 , 1965 Mercury comet cyclone 4speed
Vehicle Showcase
Consider finding a track pack or R instead , I’d think game over . Hands down the already deprecated GT350 , I’m confident we as a group here could find the right GT350 . Especially If it’s still in warranty and at a Ford store Certfied. You win . Remember history repeats itself and Shelby Mustangs always resale for more ( older and newer).

Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)

Not sure how a brand new 2016 GT350 is way overpriced at ~$60,900 and in fact suggest that this brand new 2016 GT350 could possibly be purchased for the high $50's based on some good negotiating which is well below the original MSRP unlike many other GT350/R's in todays marketplace.

I do agree that the warranty issue is of concern but unless I am wrong could someone not purchase an extended warranty for this vehicle?

As far as engine redlines go I do recall the 7,500 RPM redline for the 2012 Boss 302 Road Runner engine but suggest that the current Coyote engine in the Mach 1 redlines some 500 RPM's less than the 2nd generation Boss 302 engines.

Lastly, if you are waiting for a GT350 that is brand new and has just 465 miles on it and looking to purchase that vehicle or another like it for $40K or less that will definitely not be happening anytime soon.

OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Consider finding a track pack or R instead , I’d think game over . Hands down the already deprecated GT350 , I’m confident we as a group here could find the right GT350 . Especially If it’s still in warranty and at a Ford store Certfied. You win . Remember history repeats itself and Shelby Mustangs always resale for more ( older and newer).
The local dealer selling me the M1 has a 2018 certified GT350 with 1500 miles... for $67K. Their listing shows the original sticker which was $61.5K. No way I could ever justify paying $12K more than I'm paying for the new M1. The earlier post about GT350 selling prices being way high right now is spot on.

Last edited:

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
The local dealer selling me the M1 has a 2018 certified GT350 with 1500 miles... for $67K. No way I could ever justify paying $12K more than the new M1. The earlier post about GT350 selling prices being way high right now is spot on.
1500 miles is almost new - and if you get a warranty on that, I'd say let the negotiation begin. Tell them 60 and end up at 62. ;)

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
1500 miles is almost new - and if you get a warranty on that, I'd say let the negotiation begin. Tell them 60 and end up at 62. ;)
There is no question in my mind that the OP had his mind made up to go with purchasing a Mach 1 prior to setting up this thread late last week and I get all that. :like:

His only concern was centered around having to wait for his Mach 1 to be built and admittedly being impatient and not so much about the possibility of pursuing a GT350 therefore his mind had already been made up.
Sponsored