2022 GT500 last year to be built?

Kane00

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
Past: F40, 512M, 512, Diablo SE30, LM002, 360 Stad
Ford themselves have said the 6.8 V8 is being built for variants of the Mustang and F150. It was recently said that this was a twin turbo, rather than supercharged.
Unfortunatley it is not. The 6.8 was a V-10 also designed for trucks. Never made it into a sports cars though the GT team was pushing for a variation. The 7.3 is also only for possible truck use. Turbo's on a Mustang, yes, but on a smaller displacement motor and hybrid assist.
Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
A few months back there was rumors that ford was going to downsize the new 7.3 to a 6.8 and develop an aluminum block for it for use in the mustang and f150's. That is the 6.8 he is referring to, not that v-10 dinosaur.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Unfortunatley it is not. The 6.8 was a V-10 also designed for trucks. Never made it into a sports cars though the GT team was pushing for a variation. The 7.3 is also only for possible truck use. Turbo's on a Mustang, yes, but on a smaller displacement motor and hybrid assist.
Don't confuse the 6.8 V8 for the old V10. This new engine is based on the 7.3 Godzilla, and has an aluminum block.

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford GT500, 2021 Jeep Trackhawk
Don't confuse the 6.8 V8 for the old V10. This new engine is based on the 7.3 Godzilla, and has an aluminum block.
Ford said this or a UAW official said this? I heard the UAW official say it but I did not see anything from Ford stating this officially. I'm not doubting you saw it, but can you provide fords official statement.

Sponsored

Frank.Herbst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
With the question about the last year of the current 500, I wish they would consider a lighter weight Drag Pack option. Might even sell my 19 350 for that one.

Nardly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bernard
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 Twister Orange M2425 Chassis
I know they are not from Ford. Most of the info was from the Union President Jerry Dias referred to a 6.8-litre engine to be used in "derivatives for the Mustang and F-150." Derivatives could be a GT500, Mach 1 who knows.

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford GT500, 2021 Jeep Trackhawk
I know they are not from Ford. Most of the info was from the Union President Jerry Dias referred to a 6.8-litre engine to be used in "derivatives for the Mustang and F-150." Derivatives could be a GT500, Mach 1 who knows.
I agree, it should be interesting. It does get people talking and draw intrest.

SEERED

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Vehicle(s)
20 GT500-LOUDMOUTH LIME
I have a 6.8 V10 dino and just had its 18th birthday, you wish you had the staying power.
I can see a MACH E 500 coming soon, just not for me.

Sponsored

Kane00

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
Past: F40, 512M, 512, Diablo SE30, LM002, 360 Stad
A manufacturer can’t just ”drop” a motor into any given platform. Doesn’t work that way in modern cars and regulation. Let alone size weight, fitting inside the chassis This isn’t Hot Rod Magazine 1995. Supply chains, physical production lines, testing, etc etc etc. The massive amount of money then that it takes to add a new engine. The 7.3 is never happening. Ford is putting its resources into the future and that will be hybrid and electric power plants augmented by turbos. Sad but true.

OP
OP
Bigbel07

Bigbel07

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Belmin
Vehicle(s)
13 gt500 owner
With the question about the last year of the current 500, I wish they would consider a lighter weight Drag Pack option. Might even sell my 19 350 for that one.
do you have an orange fury 19?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
do you have an orange fury 19?
I do believe Tob put it very well. I wouldn't expect to see any more development in the 500 period. Next year will probably be the same as the last and the same before that.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I seem to recall a rumor (I'm sure I read it on here, but searching hasn't brought anything up) that a hybrid GT500 was spied at a Roush facility during development of the current car. This was around the time the prototype with the "gills" in the front fender was photographed. Anyone else remember that?

I'm hoping a V8-hybrid is the route they go for GT500 (or another halo Mustang). Whilst I'd entertain a full EV S650 (and by that I mean a 2+2 Fastback, not a crossover) I don't want that at the expense of the V8 going away completely. I hope it can hang on for at least one more generation.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I seem to recall a rumor (I'm sure I read it on here, but searching hasn't brought anything up) that a hybrid GT500 was spied at a Roush facility during development of the current car. This was around the time the prototype with the "gills" in the front fender was photographed. Anyone else remember that?

I'm hoping a V8-hybrid is the route they go for GT500 (or another halo Mustang). Whilst I'd entertain a full EV S650 (and by that I mean a 2+2 Fastback, not a crossover) I don't want that at the expense of the V8 going away completely. I hope it can hang on for at least one more generation.
Yes, I do recall that. The rumor was that they were working on another variant which never materialized. If you recall, the GT500 was running late. Development was slow, and at the time Ford was letting people go and cutting projects such as this. Heck, there was even rumors that the GT500 program was going to be scrapped altogether. What we did get in the end was a compromise. The car, due to its chassis, was heavy. I hope that in the 650, they emphasize weight reduction. Everything starts with the chassis and i believe no matter what, mustangs will share the same common chassis just as before.

I think it is inevitable to see some kind of hybridization. The question is will it involve a big V8. I dont think we are finished with performance mustangs, but the writing on the wall reads smaller engines and hybridization, just as we have seen in European performance vehicles. This serves two purposes, one of which is fewer emissions (on paper) and as a bonus, better performance.

It will be interesting to see which direction we go from here.
Sponsored