Sponsored

New 2020 GT500 - Transmission Replacement After Harness, GSM and TCM Replaced

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Yes. But no dealer would voluntarily participate in that if it means they would lose a sure ADM by selling the vehicle to someone else. Can/will Ford require a dealer to participate and if they can't, will they give a dealer an extra allocation just for the transaction. Since its a car they never would have had otherwise, the dealer wouldn't be loosing out on an ADM.
Understood.

However there's 2 issues going here:

1) A limited Edition GT500, which as we know is hard enough to come by new as opposed to other S550's that are more readily available.

2) ADM - the kicker.

Again, I don't know if the OP paid any ADM.

When it comes to a RAV Buy Back, there isn't Dealer participation per se, the RAV process is at the Ford Corp level, not Dealership. The RAV process has no bearing on if a Dealership can or will receive future allocations of LE vehicles - IF an allocation that they sold ends up being a Lemon, that was out of anyone's control.

The Dealership after a sale and if a Lemon Claim presents itself is again only the facilitator between the Owner and RAV with paperwork and either collecting the existing collateral after a refund OR collecting the existing collateral and transferring ownership of a new vehicle if a vehicle replacement. The Dealership does not partake in any of the Ford RAV discussions, worksheets or any other part of the Lemon Law process between the Owner and Ford RAV.

The ADM, the Dealership pockets from the start. It's their (not Ford's) added line to the Window Sticker. It also doesn't matter if the Dealership is allocated 1 or 10 LE's and applies ADM to 1 or all, Ford doesn't have control over what a Franchise Dealership does with respect to adding ADM to the MSRP on any vehicle, let alone LE's. A Lemon also should not affect future allocations if the Franchised Dealer sold with the ADM markup, MSRP or below MSRP. If a Buyer is willing to pay MSRP PLUS any ADM over MSRP, then unfortunately that was their choice and not forced by Ford, by anyone's hand or salesman tactics.

My understanding regarding allocations is based on Dealership Sales volumes (prior years), meeting/exceeding certain internal Ford sponsored metrics and geographic location (which can affect volume).

The problem with ADM is, folks outside of this forum (meaning those who aren't on the internet or do research) are not educated about ADM's and many don't realize it's not a "Ford" markup at all.

If anyone who has paid ADM on a GT500 OR GT350/350R and has gone through a Ford RAV Buy Back - the biggest question is:
Were you able to recover the ADM and if so, how? I know there is a fella in the GT350 forum who was made aware that ADM was not recoverable.... So share the knowledge from genuine experiences or facts.
Sponsored

Last edited:

OH3Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Convertible
Start the lemon law now - tell the dealer and Ford - give them 5 business days to "fix it". Meaning one of these options:
1. your car repaired in the 5 day window
2. An agreed upon "replacement" (21 Vin assigned to you and expedited)
3. They cut you a check back...

Most negotiations don't conclude in situations like these until there is an ultimatum. Also don't negotiate with the Dealer - Directly with Ford. In 03 my dealer helped me with my lemon law on my original Terminator. Took the replacement (same year dif color) and still own it today.

OP
OP
atxcobra

atxcobra

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT 500
For anyone interested, the TLDR update is that we're at 71 days, and the Ford is finally moving into the stage of replacing the transmission. I would really love to get this car back, but it now feels like we're heading into a 5th repair attempt (4th unique part), and this car is potentially a lemon. I'm a first-time Ford owner, and I do realize this is effectively a new model year, but am I making a mistake if I wait and keep this car? After 2.5 months of the car under repair, and 4 individual repair events (3 unique parts), it gives me pause.

DateRepair DaysUpdate
2/20/21Purchase GT 500. Chassis L3400, build date 08/29/2020
3/20/21Vehicle will not shift out of 1st gear. Wrench icon appears, and get "Powertrain Malfunction / Reduced Power" error in Ford app.
3/22/21Dealer sends flatbed tow truck to retrieve car.
3/24/21
2​
Dealer indicates they found open circuit on harness. Orders replacement wiring harness. Says ETA is 2-3 days.
3/30/21
8​
Dealer installs and confirms that wiring harness replacement did not resolve issue. Orders another replacement wiring harness. Says no ETA available because part number changed.
4/20/21
29​
Dealer receives 2nd harness.
4/21/21
30​
Dealer installs and confirms that 2nd wiring harness replacement did not resolve issue.
4/23/21
32​
Dealer indicates that Ford suggested GSM (Gear Shift Module) replacement. Says GSM ETA is 1 day.
4/26/21
35​
Dealer installs and confirms that GSM replacement did not resolve issue.
4/29/21
38​
Dealer indicates that Ford suggested TCM (Transmission Control Module) replacement. Says TCM ETA is 5/21.
5/14/21
53​
Dealer says TCM ETA is now 5/24.
5/24/21
63​
Dealer says TCM ETA is unknown.
5/25/21
64​
Dealer says TCM ETA is now 6/23.
6/1/21
71​
Dealer installs and confirms that TCM replacement did not resolve issue. Says transmission replacement is next. Says ETA is 4-5 days.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
For anyone interested, the TLDR update is that we're at 71 days, and the Ford is finally moving into the stage of replacing the transmission. I would really love to get this car back, but it now feels like we're heading into a 5th repair attempt (4th unique part), and this car is potentially a lemon. I'm a first-time Ford owner, and I do realize this is effectively a new model year, but am I making a mistake if I wait and keep this car? After 2.5 months of the car under repair, and 4 individual repair events (3 unique parts), it gives me pause.

DateRepair DaysUpdate
3/20/21Vehicle will not shift out of 1st gear. Wrench icon appears, and get "Powertrain Malfunction / Reduced Power" error in Ford app.
3/24/21
2​
Dealer indicates they found open circuit on harness. Orders replacement wiring harness. Says ETA is 2-3 days.
3/30/21
8​
Dealer installs and confirms that wiring harness replacement did not resolve issue. Orders another replacement wiring harness. Says no ETA available because part number changed.
4/20/21
29​
4/21/21
30​
Dealer installs and confirms that 2nd wiring harness replacement did not resolve issue.
4/23/21
32​
Dealer indicates that Ford suggested GSM (Gear Shift Module) replacement. Says GSM ETA is 1 day.
4/26/21
35​
4/29/21
38​
Dealer indicates that Ford suggested TCM (Transmission Control Module) replacement. Says TCM ETA is 5/21.
5/14/21
53​
5/24/21
63​
5/25/21
64​
6/1/21
71​
Dealer installs and confirms that TCM replacement did not resolve issue. Says transmission replacement is next. Says ETA is 4-5 days.
If you want the car, you have waited this long, what’s a bit longer going to do. See if they get it right on the new tranny.
Hopefully they do and you are back driving your GT500 soon.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

DateRepair DaysUpdate
3/24/21
2​
3/30/21
8​
4/20/21
29​
4/21/21
30​
4/23/21
32​
4/26/21
35​
4/29/21
38​
5/14/21
53​
5/24/21
63​
5/25/21
64​
6/1/21
71​
3 "yes or no" questions:

1) Are you emotionally attached to the car?

2) Did you pay ADM?

3) If the car is financed, has your Ford CSR made any attempt to refund your monthly car payments for the time it's been at the Service Center? Meaning if it's been there 3 months, have they cut a check to match your 3 Mos of car payments?

Sponsored

OP
OP
atxcobra

atxcobra

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT 500
3 "yes or no" questions:

2) Did you pay ADM?

3) If the car is financed, has your Ford CSR made any attempt to refund your monthly car payments for the time it's been at the Service Center? Meaning if it's been there 3 months, have they cut a check to match your 3 Mos of car payments?
1 - Yes, I've always wanted a Mustang, and I finally got to where I could get the car I really wanted. I guess what I'm wondering is if all these fixes and time "in the shop" is a signal that something more is wrong with this car, and perhaps I should "lemon" it and get a new one?

2. Yes. $5K.

3. The car is financed. The CSR said all she can do is get 2 months covered, even though we are coming up on 3 months of the car being in for service. Is that true that 2 months is the maximum? Seems like there shouldn't be a "cap" if. the repairs continue to take longer.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
3 "yes or no" questions:

2) Did you pay ADM?

^This.

My .02 is to let them replace the transmission. It may or may not fix the issue and if it doesn’t then you’ve not lost anything but a few days. You’ll be right back where you are today still holding all the Lemon Law chips on your side.

As for reliability, it’s no different than replacing any other mechanical part. A faulty transmission from the factory does not jinx the whole car and you’ll most likely never have another problem.

Final thing to remember, try not to hold resentment towards the dealer or Ford. It could be an issue that was created long before your car was even assembled or it could be someone on the factory line skipped a step....these things can happen and it’s hardly ever malicious in nature.

Good luck, I hope the new trans fixes it and you can get restitution for your lost payments.

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
reminds me of experience getting the engine changed on my 2017 GT350 , sorry for your loss

In my case the car sat for 3 weeks waiting for word from Ford, when I called corporate and opened a case, used language like "approaching 30 days" and "looking into my options for RAV and buy back" the rep asked that I give them a few days. Magically of course I get the call from the dealer they got the engine in.

My take is corporate's role is to prevent a buy back (obviously) as much as possible. At this point you do have to question how loyal you are and what other options are there , i.e. monthly payment refunds or free service etc

Funny because I was considering a GT500 since I am not sure I want to be stuck with the FPC motor for much longer , :crackup: this is prob why theres still 30+ 500's in my area but NO 911s or C8s.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 - Yes, I've always wanted a Mustang, and I finally got to where I could get the car I really wanted. I guess what I'm wondering is if all these fixes and time "in the shop" is a signal that something more is wrong with this car, and perhaps I should "lemon" it and get a new one?

2. Yes. $5K.

3. The car is financed. The CSR said all she can do is get 2 months covered, even though we are coming up on 3 months of the car being in for service. Is that true that 2 months is the maximum? Seems like there shouldn't be a "cap" if. the repairs continue to take longer.
Ok, so the above gives some more insight to the dilemma you’re facing.

With #1 above, you have always wanted a Mustang (this Mustang) and there’s the emotional attachment in the fact that you finally have what you wanted, but here it is at a Service Center for months now. We all get it, more so those of us who have been in your shoes… trust me on that…

As @jpindustrie noted above, you have to ask yourself how loyal are you to Ford (or ANY vehicle manufacturer) where you have plunked down (or financed) a great deal of money for a new car that has now sat for 3 months at a Service Center without enjoyment.

Can it be fixed, sure but at what cost (cost in this case = your patience and time).

What’s your breaking point? If it were me, I’d be putting pressure on the Ford CSR by emailing and calling them every 3 days. You have the upper hand here, so be demanding as long as you keep the tone professional and to the point. You want to be made whole, period.

#2 above - ok, so ADM exists, not extreme amount like some have paid, but $5k is $5k. If you were to do a Ford RAV BuyBack, ADM isn’t recoverable by Ford RAV since it was a Dealer added markup and was never present on the original Ford Window Sticker. You would have to ask your selling Dealer that due to the troubles, would they be willing to reimburse you the ADM paid. Not sure how that would go, but if they say no, you would most likely need to consult a Lemon Law Attorney to see if you have any grounds for recovery of the ADM.

#3 - I have not heard of such a cap. You can always go above your current CSR and when calling the 800#, wait or dial -0- and request a Supervisor. Once you get the Supervisor, tell them you want to be made whole and to do so, they need to reimburse you payments for every month the car has been sitting inop at the Service Center. If they play the game “they can’t”, then you tell them that you have been more than patient and “you can’t” help but to now tell your story on every one of their social media platforms as to how you’re being treated with your first new Ford Ownership experience.

You do have a solid case for a Ford RAV BuyBack, in fact, you had it after 30 days. So if you pursue that avenue, it’s a slam dunk (except for the minor ADM concern noted).

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
You do have a solid case for a Ford RAV BuyBack, in fact, you had it after 30 days. So if you pursue that avenue, it’s a slam dunk (except for the minor ADM concern noted).
Has anyone seen anything from Ford that says a dealer can violate the MSRP to MSRP exchange policy? If not, they can't add ADM or anything to the replacement vehicle. I wouldn't be surprised if a dealer can refuse to do an exchange from inventory, just like they can refuse to do an A (or other) plan, so an exchange would be unavailable. But would also not be surprised if Ford could negate that by providing a car the dealer couldn't get otherwise just to avoid the appearance of the MSRP exchange option being a ruse.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Has anyone seen anything from Ford that says a dealer can violate the MSRP to MSRP exchange policy? If not, they can't add ADM or anything to the replacement vehicle. I wouldn't be surprised if a dealer can refuse to do an exchange from inventory, just like they can refuse to do an A (or other) plan, so an exchange would be unavailable. But would also not be surprised if Ford could negate that by providing a car the dealer couldn't get otherwise just to avoid the appearance of the MSRP exchange option being a ruse.
Trying to understand the question.

If an Owner opts for the Ford RAV Vehicle Replacement option, yes it's MSRP to MSRP.

The Dealership is the facilitator with the collateral exchange and could provide assistance with locating another new vehicle. You're 100% correct, the Dealership cannot add ADM at all to a Ford RAV exchange.

The concern with the OP is if he did opt to do a Ford RAV Buy Back, where it's a vehicle exchange - the ADM he initially paid isn't going to be reimbursed by Ford RAV. ADM isn't "Ford Sponsored", it's added by the Selling Dealer and only benefits them.

Since ADM isn't recoverable by Ford RAV, the OP would be potentially out $5k, even in an MSRP to MSRP replacement.

Just using totally hypothetical numbers:
Original MSRP $90k + Dealer ADM $10k
Ford RAV allows new vehicle replacement only up to $90k MSRP. The Owner would be out the ADM of $10k.

I haven't seen anyone successful in getting Ford RAV to recover ADM. If someone has been successful or there is an example online anywhere, please add to this conversation.

I'm not sure if the above helped to answer the question...

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
If someone agrees to pay ADM (something I would NEVER do), I don’t think it’s the manufacturers responsibility to reimburse anything beyond MSRP. ADM is shady business. Period.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
There should be a standard automatic buyback option on flagship models or models above a certain price threshold.

A failure like this or any major failure before the first 1000 miles without a prompt seamless fix should be an automatic buyback option for the customer.
Sponsored