Sponsored

GT 500 CFTP VS ZL1 1LE

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 1966 Couple (347 Stroker)
Again they missed a golden opportunity. They also could have made some improvements so the GT 350 R would better the SS Z71.
More (stock) HP would have kept me in my 350R.
Sponsored

OP
OP

RedRaptorME

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford raptor. 2019 GT 350 R Black red pinstripe. 1948 Ford 4 door sedan. 1973 stingray corvette.

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 1966 Couple (347 Stroker)

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
thank you very much. That’s what I was looking for. The camaro is the lighter car and it has better geometry and a better suspension that actually cancels out the HP advantage in the GT 500.
I hate to admit this, because I am not a GM guy at all, but they again stay ahead of ford. Ford missed a golden opportunity with the GT 500.
I guess it depends on what you are looking for. Super hardcore track cars aren't necessarily "fun" and the make compromises to achieve a faster lap time. I wouldn't say that they missed the mark, they wanted something that was just as fast as the ZL1 1LE, but could also be "fun" similar to the Hellcats. I think they did a good job considering, just wish their QC didn't suck.

I think they could make it faster if they really wanted too but they probably knew there was a bunch of buyers that wanted something like a ZL1 1LE but not as hardcore. The GT500 is subjectively more fun but objectively it's slower. I remember reading that the ZL1 1LE had more sales than the GT350R, but there were way more overall sales of GT350 compared to the ZL1 and ZL1 1LE. Its probably the same for the GT500.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

RedRaptorME

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford raptor. 2019 GT 350 R Black red pinstripe. 1948 Ford 4 door sedan. 1973 stingray corvette.
I guess it depends on what you are looking for. Super hardcore track cars aren't necessarily "fun" and the make compromises to achieve a faster lap time. I wouldn't say that they missed the mark, the wanted something that was just as fast as the ZL1 1LE, but could also be "fun" similar to the Hellcats. I think they did a good job considering, just wish their QC didn't suck.

I think they could make it faster if they really wanted too but they probably knew there was a bunch of buyers that wanted something like a ZL1 1LE but not as hardcore. The GT500 is subjectively more fun but objectively it's slower. I remember reading that the ZL1 1LE had more sales than the GT350R, but there were way more overall sales of GT350 compared to the ZL1 and ZL1 1LE. Its probably the same for the GT500.
good points. Although I believe the mustang is the number one selling sports car in the world, not just North America. But to put 760 HP in a GT 500 and charge $ 100,000.00 for the CFTP, which is supposed to be the head to head competitor to the 1LE, but be slower around a track seems criminal. Big disappointment.

OP
OP

RedRaptorME

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
I guess it depends on what you are looking for. Super hardcore track cars aren't necessarily "fun" and the make compromises to achieve a faster lap time. I wouldn't say that they missed the mark, the wanted something that was just as fast as the ZL1 1LE, but could also be "fun" similar to the Hellcats. I think they did a good job considering, just wish their QC didn't suck.

yes fords quality control has a lot to be desired.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
good points. Although I believe the mustang is the number one selling sports car in the world, not just North America. But to put 760 HP in a GT 500 and charge $ 100,000.00 for the CFTP, which is supposed to be the head to head competitor to the 1LE, but be slower around a track seems criminal. Big disappointment.
Yeah I agree, imo the Shelby's are way overpriced the 2014 GT500 was worth ~$62k in todays money, and that is basically what price of the GT350s are so I think that is why its up-priced. I don't know a whole lot about drivetrain and racing, but I feel like with how these RWD pony/muscle cars are there's a limit when adding more HP can only do so much. One of the reasons why I went with the GT350 instead of the GT500.

I think with the impressive horsepower numbers manufactures are getting with forced induction the focus should be on chassis development rather than raw power. Could be why GM decided now was the time to make the Corvette mid engine. Could be wrong but I think its was a logical move. I am interested in seeing what the next generation of Shelbys will be like.

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
I have a mustang gt that i only use for track purposes. This mustang is probably one of the fastest in Cali.
I also have a ZLE.
Here's my comment.
A gt500 is an everyday better car. Just because is softer. And more confortable than a camaro zle.

Track usage.
The gt500 is heavier, limited with tire choices (only 20' wheels ) consume tons of fuel. Amd higher price wearable.

A ZLE is lighter better chassis great torque. Easy to modified.
With price Around75k vs 120k( because realistically the mark up is real. )
There is not doubt that is a better platform to start with IF track is the only usage.
U have 30-40k of "free upgrades" before reaching the price of the gt500.

But
There is a but.
The multimatic of the camaro are really stiff. We can understand what it means on the streets but here the issue on track.
IF THE TRACK IS SMOOTH. (I. E. Laguna) the ZLE is an amazing machine.
IF THE TRACK IS BUMBY the ZLE can be slower than a GT with magnaride.

The fact u cannot regulate compression and rebound is the real issue of those suspension. I will chamge them soon.
With the stock ZLE I was fast as the mustang on Hoosier A7.
But on Buttonwillow (bumpy) i was 3 second slower.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Just do some homework. You can either go on google or YouTube. The ZL1 1LE consistently out does the GT 500 CFTP on the track and in straight line races. And you can see the actual lap times. Even the ZL1 is more of a track weapon than the GT 500 CFTP. You can not argue with numbers.
Google and YouTube are your go to sources?:like:

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
The GT500 uses the D2C platform that dates back to the S197 Mustangs. Alpha is more modern, lighter weight, stiffer, and has more modern geometry than D2C.
Lol. It may 'date back' to 2004, but the S550 was a brand new platform that had very little in common with the S197, from a structural standpoint, other than the wheelbase. Despite still being designated as D2C.

OP
OP

RedRaptorME

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
I have a mustang gt that i only use for track purposes. This mustang is probably one of the fastest in Cali.
I also have a ZLE.
Here's my comment.
A gt500 is an everyday better car. Just because is softer. And more confortable than a camaro zle.

Track usage.
The gt500 is heavier, limited with tire choices (only 20' wheels ) consume tons of fuel. Amd higher price wearable.

A ZLE is lighter better chassis great torque. Easy to modified.
With price Around75k vs 120k( because realistically the mark up is real. )
There is not doubt that is a better platform to start with IF track is the only usage.
U have 30-40k of "free upgrades" before reaching the price of the gt500.

But
There is a but.
The multimatic of the camaro are really stiff. We can understand what it means on the streets but here the issue on track.
IF THE TRACK IS SMOOTH. (I. E. Laguna) the ZLE is an amazing machine.
IF THE TRACK IS BUMBY the ZLE can be slower than a GT with magnaride.

The fact u cannot regulate compression and rebound is the real issue of those suspension. I will chamge them soon.
With the stock ZLE I was fast as the mustang on Hoosier A7.
But on Buttonwillow (bumpy) i was 3 second slower.
excellent information and we’ll written. This justifies what I thought. Thank you.

Wolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`18 Kona Blue Mustang Ecoboost PP, `10 Nissan GTR
I'm talking predominantly track and Lap times, which is what the GT 500 CFTP is supposed to be at $ 100,000.00, but the $ 25,000.00 cheaper zl11le with less HP and older tech, still beats the GT 500 CFTP on the track. I have seen videos of the SS Z71 beating the GT 500 in a straight line.

By the way, go check out the Throttle House video with randy post.
I really appreciate you telling me to “do my homework” while literally pointing to the video I referenced in my post.
Did you listen to anything of what was said in that video at all?

They swapped out cars in the drag race because of all the aero on the 1LE yet left the GT500 with all its aero in tact when it’s been proven the non CFTP is the faster drag car while also not taking into consideration the delay on the launch control (not really their fault tbh).

Then Randy even said he ran the GT500 on worn tires and that it most likely would’ve have a better time if he he had fresh tires. He’s already posted a 2 second faster time at Laguna Seca with the GT500 vs 1LE and the car came within less than half a second of a GT3RS at Chuckwalla.

I absolutely agree that I would never pay the asking price for a GT500 carbon fiber package or not and for the price difference I would be in a ZL1 1LE or maybe even a C8 instead but when you make a post like this, it would be in your best interest to actually provide evidence to back up a statement instead of pulling facts out of your ass.

EDIT: I mistakenly stated the GT500 was 2 seconds faster than the ZL1 at Laguna Seca. It was actually about a half second faster but was about 2-3 seconds faster than the 350R. Corrected with lap times.

2020 Ford Mustang GT500 CF - 1:33.84
Camaro ZL1 1LE Package - 1:34.30
Ford Shelby Mustang GT350R - 1:36.11

Last edited:

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Let’s not forget the carbon fiber track pack GT500 is the only car that comes with carbon fiber wheels. That’s obviously going to make the price difference between the two a lot closer. Put carbon fiber wheels on the Camaro, have them priced from GM, and them compare the prices.
Sponsored