Vehicle Showcase

1emglenn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eugene
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 A10 Roush phase 2
Erm...no. Youā€˜ve already made a mistake. At no point does the theory suggest that mutations are positive or negative. A mutation will either survive or it wonā€™t, depending on the selective pressure of the environment of the time. In some cases the mutation simply becomes dormant, but this is semantics really.
A mutation that might be beneficial in one population will sometimes be detrimental in another. Hence, speciation.

I donā€™t take much (if any) exception to the rest of your reply.

I would agree that Iā€™ve spent ZERO time looking at the extinction vortex.

I donā€™t think I understand the question properly. Can you clarify it? How was WHAT reached?
Okay there is a formula: chp(1-P)-ep.
P= occupied patches
e= extinction rate
c= colonization rate
h= amount of habitat
By using the formula you can come up with an estimate of how large the population needs to be to sustain a healthy and reproductive environment for a given species. That once they dip below that population inbreeding will begin and negative mutations will increase. As inbreeding increases longevity shortens which then leads to more inbreeding and a vicious cycle has begun, leading to extinction. That is why it is called an extinction vortex.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Whelp, here is the relevant bits that our friend skimmed over. Atheism is a non-religion. Iā€™m ok with that term.

The Supreme Court has recognized atheism as equivalent to a "religion" for purposes of the First Amendment on numerous occasions, most recently in McCreary County, Ky. v. American Civil Liberties Union of Ky., ___ U.S. ___, 125 S. Ct. 2722, ___ L. Ed. 2d ___ (2005). The Establishment Clause itself says only that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion," but the Court understands the reference to religion to include what it often calls "nonreligion." In McCreary County, it described the touchstone of Establishment Clause analysis as "the principle that the First Amendment mandates government neutrality between religion and religion, and between religion and nonreligion." Id. at *10 (internal quotations omitted). As the Court put it in Wallace v. Jaffree, 472 U.S. 38, 105 S. Ct. 2479, 86 L. Ed. 2d 29 (1985):

At one time it was thought that this right [referring to the right to choose one's own creed] merely proscribed the preference of one Christian sect over another, but would not require equal respect for the conscience of the infidel, the atheist, or the adherent of a non-Christian faith such as Islam or Judaism. But when the underlying principle has been examined in the crucible of litigation, the Court has unambiguously concluded that the individual freedom of conscience protected by the First Amendment embraces the right to select any religious faith or none at all.

Sponsored

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
First time even looking at this thread. Saw all the pages. I just want to drive my car and enjoy a good drink with my beautiful wife. Life is short my friends.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
Just wanted to say that I knew about Lilith. But my understanding was that she was banished from the garden when god made Eve from Adam's rib.
I see, I didn't know about it and found it to be really interesting so it'd throw it in there incase you or anyone didn't know. You are right, she did get banished, the details of why are a bit weird but it seems like she got banished because she refused to be subservient to Adam LOL šŸ˜‚ I think Adam just asked for another girl and got Eve lmao.

She represents the lust of a woman. Probably explains why women sexuality was repressed over the years. She's was a redhead lmao so that's also probably where the ginger=demon thing comes from. There are many different takes on the story because of the different religions and culture but they all unanimously say that she is bad and some sort of demon/evil. Sassy girl.

Im kinda weird so I like learning about the dark and evil religion stuff

Last edited:

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can you expand on the anomalies? (For science).
Our intelligence. It isn't seen anywhere else on this planet. Yes there are "smart animals" yes, apes can learn sign language and do amazing things, yes whales have extensive language networks and family bonding but they pale in comparison to a human.

We still haven't been able to find the common ancestor between chimps and us. Im pretty sure the best intact humanoid is Lucy, but the spilt goes way back and there aren't full sets of fossils there are chunks that are missing. Even then if a skeleton is discovered, not sure if DNA sequencing can even be used so people have to make assumptions. Examining other life forms we can see similarities as we are mammals, but the intelligence we have is literally off the charts it doesn't make sense.

Anatomically there are some weird things, like the closest animal to ours is a pig heart, despite our high endurance which pigs are not like that. Even more interesting is that genetically we are very close to Chimps (98.8% the same), yet our hearts are very different. They have have 48 chromosomes and we have 46 if you compare them side by side you can see the differences its really interesting.

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
The difference being that you were claiming that a god DOES exist. YouI werenā€™t claiming it as a belief, but as a FACT. You then set about telling us that the theory of evolution isnā€™t correct...etc etc.

Now, if youā€™d like to admit that you accept the belief on faith, thatā€™s fine. But to do so would require that you also admit that thereā€™s insufficient evidence to warrant that belief, because if there were sufficient evidence, youā€™d be able to claim it as fact.

The intellectually honest are willing to do that. Others maybe not so much.

You can consider ducks to be insects too, it does nothing to make it more true.
The court case your reference was very careful to make the case that atheism was to be considered a religion FOR A SPECIFIC LEGAL PURPOSE, implying that for all other purposes it isnā€™t to be considered as such.

If you can work out how we (atheists) might petition various governments with a view to avoiding taxes so that we may open churches that preach absolutely nothing, Iā€™m all ears.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First time even looking at this thread. Saw all the pages. I just want to drive my car and enjoy a good drink with my beautiful wife. Life is short my friends.
Beauty fades and then you will be here with the rest of us sad sacks debating nonsense!

Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, but that lifestyle includes being douchey to those that donā€™t suspend logic for faith. You can have that lifestyle, Iā€™d rather be a heathen.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I doubt there were even 800 unique father's day cards back then.

Whoops; not the Random Thoughts thread.

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Our intelligence. It isn't seen anywhere else on this planet. Yes there are "smart animals" yes, apes can learn sign language and do amazing things, yes whales have extensive language networks and family bonding but they pale in comparison to a human.

We still haven't been able to find the common ancestor between chimps and us. Im pretty sure the best intact humanoid is Lucy, but the spilt goes way back and there aren't full sets of fossils there are chunks that are missing. Even then if a skeleton is discovered, not sure if DNA sequencing can even be used so people have to make assumptions. Examining other life forms we can see similarities as we are mammals, but the intelligence we have is literally off the charts it doesn't make sense.

Anatomically there are some weird things, like the closest animal to ours is a pig heart, despite our high endurance which pigs are not like that. Even more interesting is that genetically we are very close to Chimps (98.8% the same), yet our hearts are very different. They have have 48 chromosomes and we have 46 if you compare them side by side you can see the differences its really interesting.
Given your relative expertise in a scientific discipline, Iā€™d encourage you to watch this one video. It explains ERVā€™s in our RNA and how the matches could occur by one of three options.
1. Common descent
2. Magic
3. The most insanely improbable series of events that you or I could even possibly conceive of.

The presenter takes the position of ā€œIf evolution doesnā€™t explain this, what does?ā€
The papers heā€™s citing are linked in the description if you want to check his sources.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
To be fair there actually was three people in the Garden, before Eve, there was Lilith, she was actually the first wife of Adam. She is mentioned in the Hebrew bible but largely demonized in Christianity (not a surprise lol).

Also, genetic inbreeding isn't a problem for some less complex organisms like bacteria (asexual reproduction), obviously for more complex ones like mammals or fish its a huge problem (one of the reasons why the outlook for Cheetahs aren't good even with conservation efforts). Theoretically the chicken would come first since the egg is how it reproduces, but yeah there are still unexplained things. Cyanobacteria is responsible for oxygen due to being the first organism to perform photosynthesis, which gave rise to more complex organisms. But Humans are a complete anomaly, there are some stuff this isn't fully known like how chloroplast made its way into a bacteria. There are some explanations but there is debate, just like the creation of the universe. Stuff is interesting. The new black hole discovery is actually very interesting
Iā€™ve always reasoned that the egg came first. If chickens evolved from dinosaurs (several theories posit that the closest living relative of Tyrannosaurus Rex (by DNA content) is the common chicken), the T Rex was laying eggs long before the first chicken popped out of one.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Given your relative expertise in a scientific discipline, Iā€™d encourage you to watch this one video. It explains ERVā€™s in our RNA and how the matches could occur by one of three options.
1. Common descent
2. Magic
3. The most insanely improbable series of events that you or I could even possibly conceive of.

The presenter takes the position of ā€œIf evolution doesnā€™t explain this, what does?ā€
The papers heā€™s citing are linked in the description if you want to check his sources.

Retro viruses are very interesting, some can actually induce cancer because they transform DNA. The video went into detail of the similarities of chromosomes and the common ancestor. He didn't go much into the evolution of human intelligence.
Sponsored