Sponsored

Any hope of a mess free oil change?

ronnyek42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT pp2, 2023 Bronco Wildtrak, Ram 3500
I've changed the oil on my 2018 twice now and both times were a total disaster.

I installed the upr drain plug with hose fitting so that will likely help with draining oil in a controlled fashion there... But even with a form a funnel... The oil filter change wants to leak oil all over steering rack lines etc

Are there kits to relocate oil filter to a more common sense location or any tricks or tools to make draining oil in filter mount more common sense? I think next time I am going to try the ziplock freezer bag trick.

Also installing a filled filter can be a mess.

Feel like ford designed all things oiling on this car odd. Oil drain that requires moving pan around because of trajectory of oil... Hard to get to filters mounted at an angle with a tiny access panel... And a BASICALLY useless and hard to access dipstick.

Still great fun though... And appears to be much happier/quieter running on this penzoil ultra platinum oil
Sponsored

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
Easy if you use this trick I picked up from a guy on the GT350 forum.

Use a small screw driver and a mallet (rubber hammer) to punch a small hole in the bottom of the filter at it's lowest point. Easy to do and only takes two-three strikes. Then just let the oil pour out before unscrewing the filter 5-10 minutes later.

codereddew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
OP
OP
ronnyek42

ronnyek42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT pp2, 2023 Bronco Wildtrak, Ram 3500
That looks awesome... I'll try that first.

Sponsored

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
I agree, changing the filter can get messy. I use a bag but I still tend to make somewhat of a mess.

I saw this thing called an Oil Udder (funny name 😄) and might give it a try next time.

Oil Udder

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
Easy if you use this trick I picked up from a guy on the GT350 forum.

Use a small screw driver and a mallet (rubber hammer) to punch a small hole in the bottom of the filter at it's lowest point. Easy to do and only takes two-three strikes. Then just let the oil pour out before unscrewing the filter 5-10 minutes later.
I use this method without any spilling. I also have the UPR drain valve drain plug. makes it ALMOST enjoyable. hahahah

ChrisJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1, 2001 Chevy Silverado LT 1500, 2018 Audi S4
Ronin drain plug works great and picked up the ebay filter funnel but haven't used it yet. Everyone seems to like it.

16COEBM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I keep a piece of cardboard and wedge it under the filter and out the flap. Loosen the filter and let it drain for a few minutes and then unscrew it and pull it out. Put a rag under the filter housing and put fresh oil in the new filter then screw it on and wipe everything down. No mess. I have a pretty long 15 qt pan to drain oil into, never have to move it to while draining the oil pan.

Hardest part is getting my lowered mustang off the ramps. It will go up fine, but needs boards to keep from rubbing the bumper on the way down.

Sponsored

Southview

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herby
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Convertible
Aluminum foil works great and is cheap

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
Ronin drain plug works great and picked up the ebay filter funnel but haven't used it yet. Everyone seems to like it.
I use the same setup, but slip a length of 5/8" clear vinyl tubing on the Ronin drain and route it to the oil collection pan. Easy & mess free.

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
The stock drain plug works fine for draining the oil without a mess. The trick is to open it very slowly until the oil just starts to come out, then open it only just slightly more and the oil will drain straight down into your catch pan. You can even control the flow by opening/closing the plug ever so slightly. After the flow weakens, you can pull the plug the rest of the way out. This method avoids the initial blast that makes the mess with the stock drain plug.

As far as the filter goes, I use the 3-4 plastic shopping bag method and line them up under the filter area and down past the flap. Then I just unscrew the filter until some oil starts to drain out and allow it all to funnel on the bag trail I made right into the pan. However, I like some of the methods given here. I will have to try the hole in the filter trick next time.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
If you're like me you get everything drained without spilling a single drop and then drop the filter in the drain pan wrangling it out....

Deleted member 35644

I changed the oil in the V6 last night. Filter positioned directly above the power steering wires. I draped a sheet of aluminum foil over them after I fought a while with the GROSSLY OVERTIGHTENED FILTER (I'm looking at you, Transwest Buick-GMC). Everything stayed dry. Not sure why the filter adapter couldn't have been designed different, to let the oil drop past the cables instead of straight onto them, while also allowing for a vertical filter position. They just weren't thinking about us do-it-yourselfers, or what that oil will do to those cables over time.

You just gotta find the gadget (or household item) that works for you.
Sponsored