Wash. State Set to Ban New Gasoline Vehicle Sales by 2030

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
1 in 5 electric vehicle owners in California switched back to gas because charging their cars is a hassle, new research shows (msn.com)

Hello; Let me say I do not have a take on this offhand. But it seems at least some of the reason EV owners are switching back to ICE is the same reason I am not interested in having one. That is the time to charge. If I had a job or reason to make lots of short trips it might make sense. The round trip would have to be say a quarter of the total mile range of the EV. My thinking is there will be times when I need to make a few short trips before having a chance to recharge. Also the power goes out at places or maybe a charger fails. I would not want to be needing a charge to get home and not find a charger. I guess if the EV's become more numerous either by choice or by force, then chargers might be occupied. Having to hang around while charging would be bad enough but having to wait in line on top of that would be worse.

I do not see how regular service station type places will work. The chargers need to be in places where you can kill some time and do something.

I have 220 volt outlets in my garage for an air compressor and a DC welder. I could add a rapid charger I guess.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Why not just build the power into the roadway? All we would then need is enough juice to get to the main roads where power would be supplied.

On old idea

1619810530220.png
LOL

I like it, as long as there are Govt Officials on the sidelines with the control "trigger" determining how fast we can go like in the image.... hahahaha

BEERCHAMP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Maybe Seattle will block off part of the city, so Gas powered cars can drive around and no cops to stop them.

OP
OP
CJJon

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Maybe Seattle will block off part of the city, so Gas powered cars can drive around and no cops to stop them.
Just the opposite. They are getting ready to ban ICEs downtown.

Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
LOL

I like it, as long as there are Govt Officials on the sidelines with the control "trigger" determining how fast we can go like in the image.... hahahaha
What do you think self driving cars are? Who do you think is going to dictate how fast your Tesla can go on a highway when in self driving mode?

How long do you think YOU will be allowed to drive when Self driving gets so safe that YOU driving will be the bigger liability to insurance?

I find it ironic that in the 80's I read about this stuff in freaking Boys Life Magazine and only now are people realizing what having self-driving and electric cars mean to the combustion engine, motorsports, jobs and the economy.

I've had conversations about this type of stuff as far back as the 90's in the tech industry. Now that much of it is feasible suddenly non-tech people give a shit like its something new and hasn't been coming since the PC was created.

I'd love to compare the conversations now with the "They cant take my horse from me! ITS FASTER and cheaper THAN A CAR IS!" mentality there used to be.

Last edited:

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
About 30 years from widespread adoption in any meaningful way.
The adoption is always the slow part, mostly due to cost. Look how long it took to get rid of cars that only ran on Leaded fuel.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
What do you think self driving cars are? Who do you think is going to dictate how fast your Tesla can go on a highway when in self driving mode?
Hello; Been thinking about this. I sometimes fudge the speed limit a bit. I had figured the program would have to follow every speed limit, every traffic rule and so on.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Hello; Been thinking about this. I sometimes fudge the speed limit a bit. I had figured the program would have to follow every speed limit, every traffic rule and so on.
it will likely start with limiting to a certain range based on traffic/weather conditions. A bit over or under. But as roads/tires/traction systems get better, and inter-car communication get better I can easily see something like i95 becomeing, 1 lane of 100+MPH travel, 1 of 50-80 and 1 lane slower JUST for getting on/off exits. Electronics can have faster reactions times, and can communicate MANY cars ahead to know if a slow down in/may occur. They also dont have to suffer from "gawkers" that drive slower/distracted past a pulled over or wrecked car. Which often creates backups.

So really it should lead to average MPH being higher and shorter travel times even with the same amount of vehicles on the road.

The problem is trust in the human developers to get it right.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
it will likely start with limiting to a certain range based on traffic/weather conditions. A bit over or under. But as roads/tires/traction systems get better, and inter-car communication get better I can easily see something like i95 becomeing, 1 lane of 100+MPH travel, 1 of 50-80 and 1 lane slower JUST for getting on/off exits. Electronics can have faster reactions times, and can communicate MANY cars ahead to know if a slow down in/may occur. They also dont have to suffer from "gawkers" that drive slower/distracted past a pulled over or wrecked car. Which often creates backups.

So really it should lead to average MPH being higher and shorter travel times even with the same amount of vehicles on the road.

The problem is trust in the human developers to get it right.
Hello; I have read such speculation decades ago. reality tells me to look at the Covid mask stuff going on today for a clue. People who are fully vaccinated and outside in the sun are still wearing a mask. Even three masks are suggested.
What you want is a nice thing to wish for.

Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Hello; I have read such speculation decades ago. reality tells me to look at the Covid mask stuff going on today for a clue. People who are fully vaccinated and outside in the sun are still wearing a mask. Even three masks are suggested.
What you want is a nice thing to wish for.
Terrible analogy. You can have a vaccine, seem perfectly healthy and STILL have and pass the virus to those that have not had a shot. The point of a mask is to prevent GIVEING the virus. Just because I' have a 95% chance to NOT die does NOT mean I should not help keep OTHERS from getting it.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Terrible analogy. You can have a vaccine, seem perfectly healthy and STILL have and pass the virus to those that have not had a shot. The point of a mask is to prevent GIVEING the virus. Just because I' have a 95% chance to NOT die does NOT mean I should not help keep OTHERS from getting it.
Hello; I do not think this is correct. If vaccinated or if you survived the actual infection there is almost no chance of shedding the virus.
On top of that when outside the risk of passing the virus is very small even from someone infected. Sunlight will kill a virus. Seem to recall the stats on this recently.
The masks them selves are very limited in term of effect. The aerosol portion of the virus will pass thru nearly all masks available to the general public. Masks will stop droplets from a sneeze or cough pretty well.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Hello; I do not think this is correct. If vaccinated or if you survived the actual infection there is almost no chance of shedding the virus.
On top of that when outside the risk of passing the virus is very small even from someone infected. Sunlight will kill a virus. Seem to recall the stats on this recently.
The masks them selves are very limited in term of effect. The aerosol portion of the virus will pass thru nearly all masks available to the general public. Masks will stop droplets from a sneeze or cough pretty well.
You are greatly confusing making it harder to spread with the INABILITY to spread.

Your whole argument is "I dont need to wear a mask TO PROTECT OTHERS, because well it's a slim chance."

Also, you are GREATLY misunderstanding filtration. YES the VIRUS is smaller than the mask filtrates, but what is the virus carried on? Droplets from your spit, cough and sneezing which IS caught in the mask.

All that tells me about you is that you not only DONT understand your own argument, but do NOT care about your fellow Americans health and wellness.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
You are greatly confusing making it harder to spread with the INABILITY to spread.

Your whole argument is "I dont need to wear a mask TO PROTECT OTHERS, because well it's a slim chance."

Also, you are GREATLY misunderstanding filtration. YES the VIRUS is smaller than the mask filtrates, but what is the virus carried on? Droplets from your spit, cough and sneezing which IS caught in the mask.

All that tells me about you is that you not only DONT understand your own argument, but do NOT care about your fellow Americans health and wellness.
Hello; Sorry this is also not correct. So far the fully vaccinated have only very rarely tested positive for the virus. In the cases I have read about they were asymptomatic or had only very mild symptoms. Symptoms which could be caused from other things by the way.
The way a vaccine works is not like a bio-hazard suit which protects the body from ever having the virus enter. It is a reaction system for when the pathogen does get into the system.
Say you are fully vaccinated and are around someone who is shedding virus. You can inhale or in some other way get a load of the live virus.
Soon after you were first infected then recovered or vaccinated you could have lots of active antibodies, T-cells and such active in your system. These defense components would soon identify that they knew the virus and start to eliminate it. The virus may not get to actually infect cells and make you sick.
If the vaccination or natural infection was some time in the past the number of active antibodies, T-cells and all can have been reduced over time. This does not mean you are not protected. The body keeps a record of previous infections and can quickly start to make new antibodies and t-cells tailored to catch that pathogen. So you soon have the virus under control and do not feel ill.
In either case my understanding is had you been given a covid19 test it can come back positive. You would technically be infected but you would not be shedding the virus.

Even some officials from the CDC have made statements saying it is Ok for the vaccinated to be outside without a mask. Something other knowledgeable health care people have been saying for some time. This is also the way those who recover from a virus infection or who have an effective vaccine have been treated for many decades.

I could pull some posts I made in a tropical fish forum early on in the civid19 pandemic. I came to the conclusion the covid virus had an aerosol component as well as a droplet component fairly early. It took a while for the talking head experts to finally say this is the case. I can concede they had to test the notion rather than just logic it out. Point being they did, many months ago, say the virus is capable of being airborne as tiny particles which can float around for a long time and for much greater distances.
The droplets from a sneeze or cough do drop out in feet and are stopped by most masks. The aerosol particles are so small they can pass right thru most masks. Turns out to be more of a problem in an enclosed space than when outside. The greater risk was from being in a building or a car with someone shedding the virus. Outside the virus particles will be dispersed to the point of being not a problem.
On top of that sunlight will kill the virus. I started grabbing shopping carts from a parking lot which had been out in the sun when I went to the stores long ago. I would leave a mask on the dashboard in the sun.
After some time the "experts" even determined we do not have to wipe down surfaces any more.

My point about the virus was meant to be that given how the "experts" acted to the pandemic does not make me think other such experts will set up some ideal system of driving in automated vehicles. Instead of fastest , medium speed and slow speed lanes on highways, I see it as plodding along at 55 mph, 45 mph, 35 mph for most of us.
For me the advantage would be I could take naps or read or any number of other things while riding to a destination. Vehicles will become basic appliances.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Hello; Sorry this is also not correct. So far the fully vaccinated have only very rarely tested positive for the virus. In the cases I have read about they were asymptomatic or had only very mild symptoms. Symptoms which could be caused from other things by the way.
Yes you can still have symptoms... so agreeing with my point.

The way a vaccine works is not like a bio-hazard suit which protects the body from ever having the virus enter. It is a reaction system for when the pathogen does get into the system.
Yes, well aware, which is why you can still be a carrier... like i said.

Say you are fully vaccinated and are around someone who is shedding virus. You can inhale or in some other way get a load of the live virus.
Soon after you were first infected then recovered or vaccinated you could have lots of active antibodies, T-cells and such active in your system. These defense components would soon identify that they knew the virus and start to eliminate it. The virus may not get to actually infect cells and make you sick.
Again, well aware but not sure how this somehow proves anything I said wrong. If anything youre agreeing with me

If the vaccination or natural infection was some time in the past the number of active antibodies, T-cells and all can have been reduced over time. This does not mean you are not protected. The body keeps a record of previous infections and can quickly start to make new antibodies and t-cells tailored to catch that pathogen. So you soon have the virus under control and do not feel ill.
This depends on the illness. It's shown the body does NOT keep memory of this with COVID. Nor does it with the flu witch is why a yearly booster is recommended.

In either case my understanding is had you been given a covid19 test it can come back positive. You would technically be infected but you would not be shedding the virus.
Which means what? You MAY not pass it so its okay to risk others health?

Even some officials from the CDC have made statements saying it is Ok for the vaccinated to be outside without a mask. Something other knowledgeable health care people have been saying for some time. This is also the way those who recover from a virus infection or who have an effective vaccine have been treated for many decades.
You can not wear a mask every day of your life. Doesnt mean you were not still transmitting sickness to others. There is a reason in asian countries masks are common even if you just have a cough or common cold. Ours is a culture of: "fuck your health, i find it annoying to worry about you."

I could pull some posts I made in a tropical fish forum early on in the civid19 pandemic. I came to the conclusion the covid virus had an aerosol component as well as a droplet component fairly early. It took a while for the talking head experts to finally say this is the case. I can concede they had to test the notion rather than just logic it out. Point being they did, many months ago, say the virus is capable of being airborne as tiny particles which can float around for a long time and for much greater distances.
The droplets from a sneeze or cough do drop out in feet and are stopped by most masks. The aerosol particles are so small they can pass right thru most masks. Turns out to be more of a problem in an enclosed space than when outside. The greater risk was from being in a building or a car with someone shedding the virus. Outside the virus particles will be dispersed to the point of being not a problem.
Thats a lot of talk for "well a mask isnt 100% effective so why use one at all" flawed logic.

On top of that sunlight will kill the virus. I started grabbing shopping carts from a parking lot which had been out in the sun when I went to the stores long ago. I would leave a mask on the dashboard in the sun.
After some time the "experts" even determined we do not have to wipe down surfaces any more.
Ultraviolate light has always been a natural disinfectant, but that is not the same as "well i left the item outside for a couple hours so its clean now".

My point about the virus was meant to be that given how the "experts" acted to the pandemic does not make me think other such experts will set up some ideal system of driving in automated vehicles. Instead of fastest , medium speed and slow speed lanes on highways, I see it as plodding along at 55 mph, 45 mph, 35 mph for most of us.
For me the advantage would be I could take naps or read or any number of other things while riding to a destination. Vehicles will become basic appliances.
My point is that after all of this rambling I feel even less confident in your ability to use basic logic.
Sponsored