Sponsored

Retaining paddle shifters with aftermarket steering wheel?

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
I think you are right but OP doesn’t care. He just wanted to know about transferring current wheel functions to the wheel he wants. The answer is no so hopefully that will end this thread.
Wait a second! 'round here we love to drag out dumb threads.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Jordannn15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jordan
Vehicle(s)
2002 BMW 325Ci
Well... I see this was the wrong site to post this question. Thanks to anyone who even slightly helped. To those of you who want to criticize and tell me what to do with my car, fuck off.

TheSnowmanMafia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
Well... I see this was the wrong site to post this question. Thanks to anyone who even slightly helped. To those of you who want to criticize and tell me what to do with my car, fuck off.
OP is mad because people called him out on his big brain terrible idea.....

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
It is my daily but plenty of other people use aftermarket steering wheels without airbags on their daily’s. I know it obviously less safe but from what NRG said, a lot of old vehicles didn’t even come with them and aren’t required by law so I’m not too worried.
Well ya, 40 years ago they didn't have the air bag SRS system and back in the 1960 they didn't mandate seat belts. That is crazy IMHO to remove the air bag and CC ETC when places like Bieth performance makes beautiful CF steering wheels the way you want and retain everything. I got into a head on collision, shit happens and yes, my face hit the airbag instead of the steering wheel with no injuries.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
One of those wonderful old no air bag, because they weren't invented yet, cars impaled my Uncle on his steering wheel.
I'll keep mine because shit does happen.
If form is more important to you than function then...
Your car
Your choice
Your life
Good luck.

Oh, one other thing. If that's the way you decide to go I'd recommend never letting anyone else drive it ever. You'd regret forever if that one-in-a-million instance happening to someone you care about.

Sponsored

Weyland-Yutani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT, '17 Volvo V60 Platinum, '04 E-150
I've only driven a few paddle-shifter cars and none were Mustangs so I can't comment on that, but the control was all essentially just buttons. Some felt cool. Some felt like my xbox controller. But yes, you could theoretically design and fabricate an interface to adapt the paddle-shifters and other steering wheel controls to a generic aftermarket wheel... I guess... if you just really really wanted to.

That said, I personally wouldn't see it as worth the trouble ...and I have designed/fabricated electronic controls for a living.

OP
OP

Jordannn15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jordan
Vehicle(s)
2002 BMW 325Ci
I've only driven a few paddle-shifter cars and none were Mustangs so I can't comment on that, but the control was all essentially just buttons. Some felt cool. Some felt like my xbox controller. But yes, you could theoretically design and fabricate an interface to adapt the paddle-shifters and other steering wheel controls to a generic aftermarket wheel... I guess... if you just really really wanted to.

That said, I personally wouldn't see it as worth the trouble ...and I have designed/fabricated electronic controls for a living.
The mustangs paddle shifters definitely don’t feel the most high quality but I enjoy using them when I’m driving the car harder. I really enjoy the look of the deep dish NRG wheels over the stock or any of the other chunky aftermarket wheel options. I don’t care that I’m losing the radio controls, cruise control, etc. but I would like to keep the paddle shifting functionality (keeping cruise control would be awesome too but not a big deal).

I figured I might be able to take the stock paddles off, plug them in like they were when attached to the original wheel, and then attach them to the new wheel somehow.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
The mustangs paddle shifters definitely don’t feel the most high quality but I enjoy using them when I’m driving the car harder. I really enjoy the look of the deep dish NRG wheels over the stock or any of the other chunky aftermarket wheel options. I don’t care that I’m losing the radio controls, cruise control, etc. but I would like to keep the paddle shifting functionality (keeping cruise control would be awesome too but not a big deal).

I figured I might be able to take the stock paddles off, plug them in like they were when attached to the original wheel, and then attach them to the new wheel somehow.
Why not just get a M6 car. Problem solved? Only kidding, of course. If what you want to do was possible somebody on here in the past seven years would have done so. Since is hasn't happened you might want to consider moving on. Or pay a small fortune to have something custom made.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
giphy.gif

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
A good mod to do in the meantime is bedazzling the airbag cover on your current steering wheel. Although it is slightly more safe than removing the airbag, it is at least much more likely to kill you than removing the airbag so you're one step closer until you can figure out how to transfer the paddle shifters to the new wheel

Sponsored
OP
OP

Jordannn15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jordan
Vehicle(s)
2002 BMW 325Ci
A good mod to do in the meantime is bedazzling the airbag cover on your current steering wheel. Although it is slightly more safe than removing the airbag, it is at least much more likely to kill you than removing the airbag so you're one step closer until you can figure out how to transfer the paddle shifters to the new wheel
Wow, that was hilarious... not. How old are you? Fucking dad joke if I ever heard one, dumbass.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Wow, that was hilarious... not. How old are you? Fucking dad joke if I ever heard one, dumbass.
Jordan, if you want to survive on this forum, lighten up. We go after each other pretty good on here. Being the new kid on the block is never easy. You'll get used to it.

You might also want to take it easy with the profanity. It is frowned upon by the moderators. :like:

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Jordan, if you want to survive on this forum, lighten up. We go after each other pretty good on here. Being the new kid on the block is never easy. You'll get used to it.

You might also want to take it easy with the profanity. It is frowned upon by the moderators. :like:
While I applaud your well meaning intent I think this one is a lost cause. Anyone willing to get that up in arms when people don't tell him what he wants to hear about a silly looking cosmetic modification that also puts his life at risk was clearly only put here for our entertainment.

I spent 10 years making my bread and butter installing aftermarket equipment and in that time I received numerous offers to bypass parking brake lockouts on screens or install screens in place of airbags and I never took a single one. No cash offer or liability release form would ever absolve me legally or morally if that modification hurts or kills somebody. Then as luck would have it years later I had an accident of my own and I'm only alive and typing this because of an airbag. You don't think it will ever happen to you until it does.

OP, if you want to endanger your life in exchange for a silly looking steering wheel that looks like it came off of a cheap arcade cabinet I guess that's your choice but if you want to spout off on everybody who disagrees with your choice we won't really be sorry to see you leave.

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
OP, if you want to endanger your life in exchange for a silly looking steering wheel that looks like it came off of a cheap arcade cabinet I guess that's your choice but if you want to spout off on everybody who disagrees with your choice we won't really be sorry to see you leave.
tumblr_m571uudsz71rv5j9yo1_500.gif

Well said

OP
OP

Jordannn15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jordan
Vehicle(s)
2002 BMW 325Ci

While I applaud your well meaning intent I think this one is a lost cause. Anyone willing to get that up in arms when people don't tell him what he wants to hear about a silly looking cosmetic modification that also puts his life at risk was clearly only put here for our entertainment.

I spent 10 years making my bread and butter installing aftermarket equipment and in that time I received numerous offers to bypass parking brake lockouts on screens or install screens in place of airbags and I never took a single one. No cash offer or liability release form would ever absolve me legally or morally if that modification hurts or kills somebody. Then as luck would have it years later I had an accident of my own and I'm only alive and typing this because of an airbag. You don't think it will ever happen to you until it does.

Ya know I may have had more of a light hearted spirit about the “jokes” if I received any sort of actual answer or helpful info (even if it was a simple: no one has done it or tried) before the jokes started. Instead I got multiple lectures on how I am making the car less safe and endangering my life as if I didn’t already know that. Also, people keep saying there are “better looking wheels that have all the stock steering wheel functions”. In your opinion it looks better, not mine. And I’m pretty sure I said in my original post that I couldn’t care less about any of the steering wheel functions besides the paddle shifters.
Sponsored