Sponsored

Best procedure for removing stock blade style spoilers?

S550_GTCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT CS
If there is a lot of adhesive left on the trunk do yourself a favor and don't roll it off with your fingers. I made the mistake of heating the adhesive with a heat gun, then rolling it off with my thumbs. Biggest blisters of my life on both thumbs. šŸ˜‚
Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Adhesive remover/glue gone works great and saves the fingers.

If there is a lot of adhesive left on the trunk do yourself a favor and don't roll it off with your fingers. I made the mistake of heating the adhesive with a heat gun, then rolling it off with my thumbs. Biggest blisters of my life on both thumbs. šŸ˜‚

OP
OP
MRGTX

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
Thanks to everyone for the input! I used heat and a thin plastic wedge made for bodywork, wrapped in a microfiber cloth. Piece of cake. I found that applying the heat from the heat gun in through the underside was very effective.

Getting the residue off took a while. No big deal though.

PP2 spoiler is on too! :D

OP
OP
MRGTX

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™ll post a decent picture of the PP2 piece when I actually have a chance to take one. :D
2DF0B3B5-89D3-456D-A22F-921336088CDD.jpeg

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
That's a clean looking spoiler. And they look good rolling up on it. Does not change the lines of the rear, complements them.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MRGTX

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's a clean looking spoiler. And they look good rolling up on it. Does not change the lines of the rear, complements them.
Thanks! Thatā€™s exactly what I thought too. The OEM stuff is often really tasteful and well executed.
IMO, this spoiler looks purposeful and not overly dramatic. Thatā€™s how I prefer to live my life as well. :)

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hey what's the 4.09 final drive, you stick a taller gear back there?

OP
OP
MRGTX

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey what's the 4.09 final drive, you stick a taller gear back there?
Maybe Iā€™ve got the terminology backwards but I have always called higher numerical final drive as a shorter gear... :). either way, the plan was to be able to enjoy the high revving Coyoteā€™s power band a bit more and so far, it has accomplished that. The high end of the RPM band is much more accessible now and as you know, this motor loves 6k+.

IMO itā€™s a fantastic mod for manual trans cars. Itā€™s a pretty involved job though.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I've done the same taller more tooth, higher ratio.
4.09, that should do it, my car 3.73 . BTW agree OEM always the first consideratation fit and finish, Roush performance .

Sponsored

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid RED Metallic GT
So I bought a PP2 spoiler finally! Itā€™s on the way through eBay now...before anyone asks, of course I paid a lot for it. Not out of line with the going price. But I definitely didnā€™t get a great deal. I was tired of waiting for one to fall into my hands and there is always a tax on impatience.

What steps do you recommend for removing the stock trunk lid mounted spoilers without massacring the paint?

Based on an unpleasant spoiler extraction experience with my S197, There are the studs/nuts that hold the spoiler on and trim adhesive tape under the whole thing. Same with the S550? The tape proved to be a pain in the ass and the paint was marred by my efforts...which was fortunately not visible when the new spoiler was installed.

Any tips are welcome.
Same horrible scenario..... sorry to tell ya... The 3M tape is MURDER!!!!!!!!! I bought a rubber wheel disc to help removal and ended up burning my clearcoat.

OP
OP
MRGTX

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Same horrible scenario..... sorry to tell ya... The 3M tape is MURDER!!!!!!!!! I bought a rubber wheel disc to help removal and ended up burning my clearcoat.
Yeah, it was no fun at all. If I ever buy another Mustang, I will just get it as a spoiler-delete car.

As of right now, I think the S550 is a keeper. The S650 is nice enough but aside from the slightly improved motor, none of the changes are significantly better (per my taste) than the outgoing generation. That digital dash is a major step down for me.

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid RED Metallic GT
Yeah, it was no fun at all. If I ever buy another Mustang, I will just get it as a spoiler-delete car.

As of right now, I think the S550 is a keeper. The S650 is nice enough but aside from the slightly improved motor, none of the changes are significantly better (per my taste) than the outgoing generation. That digital dash is a major step down for me.
I agree with you 1000%... Spoiler-delete is the way to go!!!
Anthiny

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Interestingly, I had no problems with removing the 3m tape that was on mine and then applying it to the new spoiler. Doesn't spoiler delete mean you will have to drill holes if you want to add a spoiler later?
Sponsored