Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I quit using tire dressings years ago. I just scrub the sidewalls with Griot's Rubber Cleaner on a retired old athletic sock turned inside out, or a microfiber.

Bam, tires look new and black. No fling or dust attraction.
Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Wow very clean! Do you polish your rotors as well? Or does the new appearance of your rotors mean you keep your car in a museum? :clap:

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I will give your technique a try after the rain stops this weekend.

Tire sponge will kick it up a few notches for sure.

I find that I will apply first "layer" then run the sponge around the tire 2-3-4 times. Let it sit. Move on to next tire etc...that seems to prime the tires. Then hit them again with a light amount and voilĆ  - perfection. It's a little "technique sensitive" and practice makes perfect.

I love the stuff so much I bought 12 bottles the last time I was in The States!

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

MikeDawg5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
This is very much a regional product, but Iā€™m a big fan of Majestic Solutions Super Blue. And really most of MSā€™s car care products including their Shield ceramic products. Very good stuff.

Sponsored

RonsterGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 5.0 GT/ā€˜16 F150 XLT/ā€˜21 Explorer Platinum
I will give your technique a try after the rain stops this weekend.
One more thing. Remember with this stuff, ā€œless is moreā€. Prime your applicator with a thin strip, then apply light layers and build up. Itā€™ll be worth it! Good luck!

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Thanks, I will do that.

One more thing. Remember with this stuff, ā€œless is moreā€. Prime your applicator with a thin strip, then apply light layers and build up. Itā€™ll be worth it! Good luck!

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
So having used countless tire dressing products, I would say I have used almost as many ways to apply them.

Here are the ones I am rotating through at the moment -

IMG_9364.jpg

In terms of foam applicators, I like to use something with a barrier to prevent getting the product on your hands, something a circular wax applicator does not usually have.

These square applicators are sold under a few different brands including Chemical Guys and Maxshine. I tend to use this one the most and are great for both low and high profile tires. The two layers of different foam help prevent product soaking through onto to your hand.

IMG_9360.jpg

IMG_9361.jpg

y8.jpg

Gyeon's new tire applicators come in two different sizes, a small version ideal for ultra low profile tires and a larger one for higher tire profiles. My suggestion would be to get the larger version for versatility. As you can see, the Mustang's 40 series tires dwarf the small version.

IMG_9356.jpg

IMG-9125.jpg

Next, these small foam applicator blocks are designed for ceramic coating and wax application, however they are also great for tires. Again, two layers and great for low profiles.

IMG_9359.jpg

oct2721.jpg

Detailing brushes can also be used and I would recommend getting some decently sized for efficiency.

IMG_9279.jpg

jul138.jpg

At one stage, I was using foam off-cuts from a local supplier, cutting them to shape and replacing them regularity for very little expenditure.

DSC-0103.jpg

And lastly, these The Rag Company Terry Applicator Sponges can be used for tire dressing or for the final wipe to level the finish

IMG_9355.jpg

y9.jpg

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
@Kristian87 : might be into something for us U.K. guys that donā€™t like the greasy look ...

Auto Finesse Satin Tyre Cream. Less than Ā£10 for 500ml (Halfords / Euro Car Parts). Water based, similar consistency to sun cream and a little goes a long way.

In my impatience, I slapped some on one wheel with a MF, immediately followed up with a clean part of the same MF then went to bed.

In the morning :

22063-A60-090-E-4323-9-CE0-06-D4-BA680228.jpg

For the little time and care I put in I am impressed with the look. Even if it doesnā€™t last long (reports claim up to three weeks - we will see ...), I think this will be worth it to me based on my car usage, speed of application, look and hopefully a lack of build up / residue (tyre feels absolutely dry to the touch and non greasy).

WD :like:

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
@Kristian87 : might be into something for us U.K. guys that donā€™t like the greasy look ...

Auto Finesse Satin Tyre Cream. Less than Ā£10 for 500ml (Halfords / Euro Car Parts). Water based, similar consistency to sun cream and a little goes a long way.

In my impatience, I slapped some on one wheel with a MF, immediately followed up with a clean part of the same MF then went to bed.

In the morning :

22063-A60-090-E-4323-9-CE0-06-D4-BA680228.jpg

For the little time and care I put in I am impressed with the look. Even if it doesnā€™t last long (reports claim up to three weeks - we will see ...), I think this will be worth it to me based on my car usage, speed of application, look and hopefully a lack of build up / residue (tyre feels absolutely dry to the touch and non greasy).

WD :like:
That's just about perfect! :clap:

Sponsored

VIPR01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71 Gremlin
Whatā€™s everyone using for tire cleaner or the step previous to applying dressing?
I recently swapped from P/S Brake Buster or Adams Tire/rubber cleaner to Gyeon Q2M Tire Cleaner. I used a separate foam cannon for cleaning wheels (OG method) - but have found I prefer a stand alone tire cleaner for this process after trial & error. Perl, OG Tire, or Gyeon Quartz Q2 has been getting more attention in the garage.

Blwnsmoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Whatā€™s everyone using for tire cleaner or the step previous to applying dressing?
I recently swapped from P/S Brake Buster or Adams Tire/rubber cleaner to Gyeon Q2M Tire Cleaner. I used a separate foam cannon for cleaning wheels (OG method) - but have found I prefer a stand alone tire cleaner for this process after trial & error. Perl, OG Tire, or Gyeon Quartz Q2 has been getting more attention in the garage.
I use either Shine Supply Wise guy or Brake Buster, with Brake Buster my preference at the moment.

ssj1.jpg

apr245.jpg

oct275.jpg

oct276.jpg

I found the Gyeon Tire Cleaner to be pretty average to be honest, surprising considering how good the rest of their stuff is.

ax1.jpg

VIPR01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71 Gremlin
Copy that - on the Brake Buster. I have noticed Michelin tires to be more accepting of Brake Buster & OG dressing. Weird, but it doesnā€™t react the same for me on other tires.