Sponsored

Tunes and smog, anyone had to get one yet?

Chomorro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6SPD Premium PP1
I need a new intake manifold. Thinking about going 18+ manifold but it will need a tune. Anyone had issues smogging with a tune? What about locking out the imrc?

I want to stay completely smog legal.
Sponsored

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
In California there is no emissions test for cars newer than the year 2000 . They will do a visual test to verify that you have not tampered with any emissions equipment . This means they will open your hood and look to see if you have tinkered with anything . If you keep everything looking completely stock then it will most likely fly under the radar . You definitely can do a tune but you will need to be sure that all emissions equipment is enabled . No cat deletes no oxygen sensor banks turned off etc. etc. The final test they will do is to make sure your check engine light is working and that you have no pending codes stored nor actual codes stored . I had a smog legal Vortech on my 2011 Mustang -when I went to sell it, the smog shop opened the hood saw the blower freaked out then I pointed out the carb legal status with an actual emissions executive order sticker -they finished their smog test and sent me on the way no problems after that .

OP
OP
Chomorro

Chomorro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
In California there is no emissions test for cars newer than the year 2000 . They will do a visual test to verify that you have not tampered with any emissions equipment . This means they will open your hood and look to see if you have tinkered with anything . If you keep everything looking completely stock then it will most likely fly under the radar . You definitely can do a tune but you will need to be sure that all emissions equipment is enabled . No cat deletes no oxygen sensor banks turned off etc. etc. The final test they will do is to make sure your check engine light is working and that you have no pending codes stored nor actual codes stored . I had a smog legal Vortech on my 2011 Mustang -when I went to sell it, the smog shop opened the hood saw the blower freaked out then I pointed out the carb legal status with an actual emissions executive order sticker -they finished their smog test and sent me on the way no problems after that .
Ok excellent that's what I wanted to know. As long as the emissions stuff is turned on in the tune. I'm curious if an Imrc is considered emissions stuff.

Thanks!

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Ok excellent that's what I wanted to know. As long as the emissions stuff is turned on in the tune. I'm curious if an Imrc is considered emissions stuff.

Thanks!
Look at it this way : If your computer shows a pending code or actually has a code set, then it is no legal .

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
No this isn't correct. Cali cars only have to be smogged on the 8th year after new. Then 2yrs after that. Its true there is no sniffer test anymore. That being said if you are running an aftermarket tune you will want to return to the OEM tune if that tune does not have a EO#. When you get smogged now the smog operator checks the vehicle Calibration Verification Number to see if an aftermarket tune has been installed. Ask me how I know...I just went through this with my 2013 M3 when I sold it. Even though my tune allowed all readiness I still had to reinstall the OEM tune to pass. Cars before 2013 may not have this problem as the CVM isn't normally used before then.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I need a new intake manifold. Thinking about going 18+ manifold but it will need a tune. Anyone had issues smogging with a tune? What about locking out the imrc?

This is going to be problematic, I would get the Ford Racing Power Kit stage 3 with the GT350 manifold as it has a CARB EO#. If you go with an 18 manifold and retune the car even with it keeping all readienss codes and everything else you will fail due to the Calibration Verification Number being off from the OEM software.

OP
OP
Chomorro

Chomorro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
No this isn't correct. Cali cars only have to be smogged on the 8th year after new. Then 2yrs after that. Its true there is no sniffer test anymore. That being said if you are running an aftermarket tune you will want to return to the OEM tune if that tune does not have a EO#. When you get smogged now the smog operator checks the vehicle Check Vehicle Sum to see if an aftermarket tune has been installed. Ask me how I know...I just went through this with my 2013 M3 when I sold it. Even though my tune allowed all readiness I still had to reinstall the OEM tune to pass.
But if your parts arent tuned to run correctly wouldnt an oem tune cause CEL and cause you not to pass or are you just swapping the tune in the parking lot without driving it for any distance and then smogging?

I thought there was a way for them to tell if you just cleared things or something and make you drive 100 miles before smogging

Anyways I'm just curious because I bought used so I'm pretty sure I start the two year smog right away but I could be wrong.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But if your parts arent tuned to run correctly wouldnt an oem tune cause CEL and cause you not to pass or are you just swapping the tune in the parking lot without driving it for any distance and then smogging?

I thought there was a way for them to tell if you just cleared things or something and make you drive 100 miles before smogging

Anyways I'm just curious because I bought used so I'm pretty sure I start the two year smog right away but I could be wrong.

See above...

Also, you aren't suppose to switch out the manifold and keep it smog legal unless its part of a smog legal package. I doubt a smog shop will be able to differentiate the difference between the Gen 2 and Gen 3 manifold. Its through the software they will see the Calibration Verification Number won't match what should be on the PCM.

This is why I went with the Ford Racing power kit on my 2020 GT.

OP
OP
Chomorro

Chomorro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
See above...

Also, you aren't suppose to switch out the manifold and keep it smog legal unless its part of a smog legal package. I doubt a smog shop will be able to differentiate the difference between the Gen 2 and Gen 3 manifold. Its through the software they will see the Calibration Verification Number won't match what should be on the PCM.

This is why I went with the Ford Racing power kit on my 2020 GT.
Yeah the ford racing power kit or the carb compliant supercharger setup is what I wanted originally. I'm over the smog dancing game from when I was younger. I was just thinking for now a oem manifold might pass for a repair.

Heggs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost

Staying 100% smog legal and being able to pass a general smog test are 2 slightly different things unfortunately. If you want to stay 100% legal (as in if your car were to go to the state ref), be sure to use CARB approved hard/software that's specific to your model year or else don't touch anything. If you are ok with a ~90% chance of being able to pass smog tests at an independent smog station, you should be fine swapping a stock looking part. Tons of people pass smog every day with parts that aren't CARB approved, or even have incorrect CARB numbers on them, but all it takes is an overzealous smog tech to call you out for a state ref visit and then you'll probably have some work to do.

I just went through the ringer with the state ref last year on my other car. Long story, but they really go through things with a fine toothed comb.

It's true that you don't need to smog a new car for the first 8 years, but there are exceptions. I had to have my 2016 Ecoboost smogged when I bought it last year because it was brought in from out of state. It does have a tune on it, I believe the Ford performance tune, and the local Ford dealer smogged it no problem.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Chomorro

Chomorro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Staying 100% smog legal and being able to pass a general smog test are 2 slightly different things unfortunately. If you want to stay 100% legal (as in if your car were to go to the state ref), be sure to use CARB approved hard/software that's specific to your model year or else don't touch anything. If you are ok with a ~90% chance of being able to pass smog tests at an independent smog station, you should be fine swapping a stock looking part. Tons of people pass smog every day with parts that aren't CARB approved, or even have incorrect CARB numbers on them, but all it takes is an overzealous smog tech to call you out for a state ref visit and then you'll probably have some work to do.

I just went through the ringer with the state ref last year on my other car. Long story, but they really go through things with a fine toothed comb.

It's true that you don't need to smog a new car for the first 8 years, but there are exceptions. I had to have my 2016 Ecoboost smogged when I bought it last year because it was brought in from out of state. It does have a tune on it, I believe the Ford performance tune, and the local Ford dealer smogged it no problem.
I ordered the ford power pack 2 so I'm sticking with that for now. Everything else stock lol how boring.

Dom1232

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dominic
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I passed with a ported 18 manifold, catted long tubes, 120mm JLT intake, and actively running E85...... it’s clearly not as extensive as they make it seem.

Heggs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
I passed with a ported 18 manifold, catted long tubes, 120mm JLT intake, and actively running E85...... it’s clearly not as extensive as they make it seem.
More like you got lucky and found a lazy/blind smog tech. You usually have to pay extra for that...I'd recommend sticking to that shop lol. Most shops will give you crap about the CAI if you don't have a CARB number for it, let alone the long tubes are never going to fly. They don't do sniffer test on cars newer than like 2000, so it's just a visual inspection and emissions monitor readiness check. As long as you're monitors are ready and the tech is blind, you're good.

Someone I know recently had the opposite experience with long tubes. Guy was newer from out of state, didn't know CA well, and the smog tech hit him with the ol' "you must think I'm really stupid to bring this in here". Long story short, last time I checked he was still trying to find stock parts to be able to drive his car.

Whitedevil95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J.P.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Are we sure its 8 years? I thought it was 6 years from new?

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Are we sure its 8 years? I thought it was 6 years from new?
Per Ca DMV (last bullet point)
Your vehicle does not need a smog inspection if your:

• Gasoline-powered vehicle is a 1975 year model or older (This includes motorcycles and trailers.)
  • Diesel-powered vehicle is a 1997 and older year model OR with a Gross Vehicle Weight of more than 14,000 pounds.