Sponsored

Are LPX and LPXHD clutches made by MCLeod?

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Magneride
not that, that is a bad thing but I would like some clarity. I realize they are not fully “rebadged” RST and RXT clutches as they use Kevlar instead of ceramic. But I have heard over and over the clutches are fully using and manufactured by McLeod. Just wondering. Like I said in no way is this a bad thing. Matter of fact it’s probably a good thing. Considering the less aggressive nature of Kevlar on a transmission combined with the great reliability of McLeod. Maybe some insight from Lethal reps if possible.
Sponsored

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Yes, they are made by McLeod. Lethal confirmed this when I spoke to them and when I was researching clutches and spoke to McLeod, they confirmed they make them for Lethal to Lethal’s specs. I just put a LPX twin disc in my car.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
they confirmed they make them for Lethal to Lethal’s specs.
do they balance the entire assembly or do these suffer from the numerous reports of vibration and seeming devil may car attitude from McLeod installs?

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
do they balance the entire assembly or do these suffer from the numerous reports of vibration and seeming devil may car attitude from McLeod installs?
No vibration here. I assume this blue line means it was balanced as an assembly.

BD028CF1-7919-48EF-9806-6185F9CA3E4C.jpeg

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Yes, they are made by McLeod. Lethal confirmed this when I spoke to them and when I was researching clutches and spoke to McLeod, they confirmed they make them for Lethal to Lethal’s specs. I just put a LPX twin disc in my car.
[/QUOTE

Are you running an MT82? How much power are you making (hp/tq)? Limitations on the LPX twin disk? Lastly, is it able to withstand drag race use? Thanks

Sponsored

OP
OP
Semp1

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Magneride
He’s running an MT82. That’s what transmissions these clutches are made for

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Are you running an MT82? How much power are you making (hp/tq)? Limitations on the LPX twin disk? Lastly, is it able to withstand drag race use? Thanks
Yes, stock MT82. I just put a Whipple stage 2 kit on the car. Still in the clutch break-in period with about 400 miles on it. The LPX is supposed to be good for 800ish. The HD version 1000+. When I talked to Lethal, they said it would be fine for my setup. I will get the car on the dyno at some point in the next few weeks.

I do plan to hit a few drag race events this summer and run on a bias-ply. The kevlar can handle the heat very well. Checkout Lethal‘s site as there is plenty of info there. Or just give them a call and talk with them.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Yes, stock MT82. I just put a Whipple stage 2 kit on the car. Still in the clutch break-in period with about 400 miles on it. The LPX is supposed to be good for 800ish. The HD version 1000+. When I talked to Lethal, they said it would be fine for my setup. I will get the car on the dyno at some point in the next few weeks.

I do plan to hit a few drag race events this summer and run on a bias-ply. The kevlar can handle the heat very well. Checkout Lethal‘s site as there is plenty of info there. Or just give them a call and talk with them.
Copy that, thanks. I’m looking for options because I know it’s going to be a matter of time before my factory clutch goes bye, bye, especially if I suddenly get the urge to use nitrous a whole lot.

Eric5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I just had the lpxhd and A Tremec magnum xl installed. It's noisy as hell. Especially 4th gear under 2k rpms. Works well, but it's pretty obnoxious.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I just had the lpxhd and A Tremec magnum xl installed. It's noisy as hell. Especially 4th gear under 2k rpms. Works well, but it's pretty obnoxious.
Yes the low speed chatter sounds like a terrible grid coming from the clutch but it's the nature of the solid hub. If you are still in the break in period it should get better. Mine was loud at first but now I don't hear it unless the radio is off or extremely low. Mine is also the worst in 4th.

Overall the clutch is an ok option but both lethal and mcleod's tech support suck. The instructions tell you to check clearances and call if it's out of spec. First time I called I was told to remove shims until it met the .020"- .025" spec between the flywheel, first disc and floater plate. After doing that the car never shifted better than "ok" after break in and with in a few months didn't want to go into first or reverse. When I called back I was told I never should have removed the shims and it's preset from factory. I pulled the trans back out and re-did it and it shifts better now. I wouldn't call it same as stock like they claim but pretty good.

Sponsored

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
not that, that is a bad thing but I would like some clarity. I realize they are not fully “rebadged” RST and RXT clutches as they use Kevlar instead of ceramic. But I have heard over and over the clutches are fully using and manufactured by McLeod. Just wondering. Like I said in no way is this a bad thing. Matter of fact it’s probably a good thing. Considering the less aggressive nature of Kevlar on a transmission combined with the great reliability of McLeod. Maybe some insight from Lethal reps if possible.
I can't say who they are made by publicly but all I can say is that they are made by if not the best clutch manufacturer out there. The LPX and LPXHD are made with kevlar disks and are both twin disks clutches. You will notice some chatter just like any twin disk would but the reward is great clamping force and prolonged transmission life. These clutches were designed with the MT-82 in mind with just the right amount of slip vs a ceramic or organic clutch. The LPX is rated for 800hp meanwhile the LPXHD is rated for 1000hp. Here is a guide for which clutch is best for you. https://www.lethalperformance.com/info/lpclutches

If you have any questions feel free to give me a call! 1.877.253.8425 ext 211 or ask for me personally (Andrew). Happy Modding!

Eric5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Yes the low speed chatter sounds like a terrible grid coming from the clutch but it's the nature of the solid hub. If you are still in the break in period it should get better. Mine was loud at first but now I don't hear it unless the radio is off or extremely low. Mine is also the worst in 4th.

Overall the clutch is an ok option but both lethal and mcleod's tech support suck. The instructions tell you to check clearances and call if it's out of spec. First time I called I was told to remove shims until it met the .020"- .025" spec between the flywheel, first disc and floater plate. After doing that the car never shifted better than "ok" after break in and with in a few months didn't want to go into first or reverse. When I called back I was told I never should have removed the shims and it's preset from factory. I pulled the trans back out and re-did it and it shifts better now. I wouldn't call it same as stock like they claim but pretty good.
Does yours sound like mine in 4th gear? Just had installed with a tremec t56 magnum xl.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Does yours sound like mine in 4th gear? Just had installed with a tremec t56 magnum xl.
Now mine is much quieter than yours sounds like in the video. Right after installing it during break in, it was loud and similar to yours for the first few days but then it got better. I turned the radio off on my way home earlier today and it's seems even quieter now, barely audible. I've got around 5-6k miles on it now. Are you still breaking the clutch in?

Eric5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Now mine is much quieter than yours sounds like in the video. Right after installing it during break in, it was loud and similar to yours for the first few days but then it got better. I turned the radio off on my way home earlier today and it's seems even quieter now, barely audible. I've got around 5-6k miles on it now. Are you still breaking the clutch in?
Yes, only been driving it for about 200 miles now.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Well hopefully it will get better for you after a while. Mine was the loudest for about 2 days. I did put couple hundred miles on it in those 2 days though. After that it toned down to the point it wasn't obnoxious anymore but noticeable. Now it's very mellow. I'll see if I can get a sound clip today so you can compare. I've heard some cars are just louder than others and I have the mt82 not a Tremec so your set up may just be louder by nature.
Sponsored