Illuminated Glove Box on 2021 MY

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
They also took away the illuminated PRNDS on the shifter and switched to a single tone horn in 2019. Not sure why they do silly things like this.
Yep I noticed the prnds wasn't illuminated. Just another case of a Peanut counter making engineering decisions to save a dollar

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
So I was installing the new Led bulbs on the same areas my old 2020 had. When I got to the glove box I notice that thereā€™s no light at all. Is this cost cutting for the 2021 or did they forget to add it. Anyone else has a 2021 GT?
Thanks

OP
OP
Pronichkin

Pronichkin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Artem
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Conv (totaled by a puma); 2021 GT Conv PP1

Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Yes, shameless cost cutting.
But you shouldn't have mentioned it. Sarcastic remarks like "why don't you use a flashlight instead", or "how much time do you spend in the glove box", or "my 1865 carriage didn't even have a glove box and I didn't mind, so just drive the damn thing and shut up" are coming up in three... two... one... :giggle:

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
Box light...

I'll see myself out.

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
I couldn't tell you the last time I opened a box in the dark.... I normally put more in them than I take out I guess.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Yes, shameless cost cutting.
But you shouldn't have mentioned it. Sarcastic remarks like "why don't you use a flashlight instead", or "how much time do you spend in the glove box", or "my 1865 carriage didn't even have a glove box and I didn't mind, so just drive the damn thing and shut up" are coming up in three... two... one... :giggle:
Have you not realised removing the glovebox light automatically makes the driver better?

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
So I was installing the new Led bulbs on the same areas my old 2020 had. When I got to the glove box I notice that thereā€™s no light at all. Is this cost cutting for the 2021 or did they forget to add it. Anyone else has a 2021 GT?
Thanks
Well Ford had to eat the cost of your buyback so............ šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
I have read through this entire thread. My take on the bulb removal is for weight reduction. šŸ˜‚. I will make sure the door doesnā€™t hit me on the way out. šŸ˜

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
I have read through this entire thread. My take on the bulb removal is for weight reduction. šŸ˜‚. I will make sure the door doesnā€™t hit me on the way out. šŸ˜
Thatā€™s what I was thinking, faster lap times! Guys, Ford is just tryinā€™ to help us out here!

OP
OP
Pronichkin

Pronichkin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Artem
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Conv (totaled by a puma); 2021 GT Conv PP1
Could've just bought one of these and been done with it. Or maybe this thread is to try to get Ford to reinstate the glove box light so you can then you can initiate a buy back for leaving it out in the first place!
no. I'm sorry, but you miss the point either way. The thread is not to rant in vain about cost savings in general. This is clearly inevitable and not something we can impact. I guess it's safe to say that it's healthy for the industry in general. Neither the thread is about all the different ways humans can use to emit some light somewhere. Believe me, I know what a flashlight is, and I'm capable of searching Amazon myself. And yes, I know what money are and how they work.

This thread is about DIY methods to achieve the same (or almost the same) as factory illumination on pre-2021 models. I.e. without clumsy bolt-on options which are sub-par by definition. (They take space and require extra effort to turn them on or off.)

So far, it looks like the part number found by @Bikeman315 was spot on, and I'm thankful for that. Now I need to figure out the wiring. But I'm ham-fisted so I would rather prefer the dealer or independent shop do this for me. Thus, no update from my side yet. But I will get there, eventually.

While I appreciate your sense of humor, it certainly does not contribute to staying on topic. It does however bump the thread up, so please keep going.
Sponsored