Sponsored

Procharged - Worried about cats failing but need to pass inspection in Texas

lucasmelobr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Auto
As the title says, I'm only worried about the cats failing.
I don't care about more HP so not planning on headers and don't want high flow cats.
I also don't want to reinstall stock cats every year.

What's the simplest, bolt on if possible, way to delete cats?
And if I do, would something like http://bigdaddiesgarage.com/mini-cat-cel-fix.html still allow the O2 sensor to go "ready"( with PDB emissions tune) and allow me to pass emissions?

Appreciate any feedback, thanks.
Has Anyone just gutted their cats???
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dark-Alex

Alex
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Gt Magnetic Metal
Sounds like something the EPA agent would ask..... just saying lol

Rothgray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
You want the one with a 90* elbow

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
If you have long tube headers, you aren't passing unless someone turns off your O2 sensors and makes them show N/A versus Not Ready. I've extensively looked into this and its due to the location of the O2's on longtube headers mostly. Either the tuners don't know how to get the voltage correctly or don't have the same logic as the stock tune for running the readiness check. If you can find someone to disable it, it will be much easier.

Edit: You should probably just run the Big daddy spacers and call it a day. Should be fine. I'm running no spacers and my emissions systems are on and I can never throw a P0420 ever for some reason.

Last edited:

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
If you have long tube headers, you aren't passing unless someone turns off your O2 sensors and makes them show N/A versus Not Ready. I've extensively looked into this and its due to the location of the O2's on longtube headers mostly. Either the tuners don't know how to get the voltage correctly or don't have the same logic as the stock tune for running the readiness check. If you can find someone to disable it, it will be much easier.

Edit: You should probably just run the Big daddy spacers and call it a day. Should be fine. I'm running no spacers and my emissions systems are on and I can never throw a P0420 ever for some reason.
You can fix this with hptuners it is just a matter of timing. You have to tell the computer that there is more time needed between ignition and the o2. if you modified the tune it will show and fail you automatically unless you have a eo number. Also just because you’re light is not on doesn’t mean you will pass. this normally works

5EA150C5-00A9-44F0-959B-AC50B30ECAB8.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsored

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
Maybe do a cat delete, using either MAK cat delete pipes. You have two options, just installing the delete pipes, or you could weld a flange onto the stock cat. With the flange welded onto the stock cat, you can re-install the cats easily, if ever you would run into a situation you need the cats back in.

As far as O2 sensor defoulers, I went with the Vibrant J type, 1600 miles later, no CEL, knock on wood.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...to-market-and-the-original-cat-deletes.10822/

OP
OP

lucasmelobr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Auto
Thanks for the feedback.
Switching the question around.
Given all the emissions talk this week, I'm planning to stay with cats.

What do you all believe is the "safest" catted setup for a boosted application(12 psi 700 crank)?
Anything that is bolt-on, that is legal, and pass inspection?

I assume this will be a big topic in 2021+.

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
what happens in 2021?

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Thanks for the feedback.

What do you all believe is the "safest" catted setup for a boosted application(12 psi 700 crank)?

Absolutely. The stock cats are your best smog legal option. People think they are very restrictive but they are better than 99% of high flow cats out there.
To stay legal you’re going to have to go with some shorties

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
How do you keep from
Melting the cats?

Sponsored

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Thanks for the feedback.

As much of a car guy as I am,....that's the best bet.
It sucks, but it is what it is. Totally sucks.

Alex Flores and Lund Jr both have videos out on Yoututbe on this very subject. They know A LOT more than we do as they are in the industry. Lund Racing and VMP both got visits from the EPA.

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Lol. Jeez, if I drive like my mother in law (little old lady) I’d likely
Be arrested twice over and have a flaming inferno under the hood.

Just as I thought though, I have to do something to remove the risk. If headers weren’t such a pain to install that might be the way to.

Anyone have a line on some cat deletes? I looked online all day with no luck. Maybe have to pay a trip to a custom exhaust place and see what they can do. What size piping do the Maks use?

No easy solution I see.

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
Lol. Jeez, if I drive like my mother in law (little old lady) I’d likely
Be arrested twice over and have a flaming inferno under the hood.

Just as I thought though, I have to do something to remove the risk. If headers weren’t such a pain to install that might be the way to.

Anyone have a line on some cat deletes? I looked online all day with no luck. Maybe have to pay a trip to a custom exhaust place and see what they can do. What size piping do the Maks use?

No easy solution I see.

Unless you can find a used set of MAK or Lethal Performance cat-delete pipes, you are going to have to go the custom made route. It seems as though Lethal and MAK, both removed their cat-delete pipes from their websites. I'm lucky that I ordered mine in December.