Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
As someone with an engineering degree and went through seven different calculus classes, this upsets me to no end.

I remember in college, the first and most basic engineering class, you could not pass without a B. Technically a C was passing but all the professors would correct your grade to an F if you could not muster at least a B in the class. At first this seemed unfair, but one professor explained to me: "if you cannot get at least a B in this most basic engineering course, I do not want you designing planes and bridges that my family may use." ....makes perfect sense.

I think this all boils down to the fact that the current generation of kids cannot handle the truth and complain when the truth is not in their favor. Shame on us for caving to their complaining. If we hand out free A's and free trophies, the real world will gobble them up. You think businesses and corporations will accept people who don't know what they're doing or have poor work ethic? Nope, fired immediately.
Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Nike ran an Olympic’s commercial years ago that I took issue with. I thought it demeaned those athletes that did their best but just not good enough to win gold. Today everyone would win gold. I take issue with that also.

Participation awards are the absolutely worst invention in my lifetime. I've never touched a trombone but always thought they were cool but I probably can't even play one. I hate the world we're heading to where my non playing trombone ass can be in some prestigious symphony. It brings down all the people working their asses off the be there. If you're good, get rewarded. If you suck, get better or try something else.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Participation awards are the absolutely worst invention in my lifetime. I've never touched a trombone but always thought they were cool but I probably can't even play one. I hate the world we're heading to where my non playing trombone ass can be in some prestigious symphony. It brings down all the people working their asses off the be there. If you're good, get rewarded. If you suck, get better or try something else.
Exactly stop using things like oh say the race card to elevate your ass off the backs of people who try by saying its their fault you cant do it.

RonsterGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
‘22 5.0 GT/‘16 F150 XLT/‘21 Explorer Platinum
Nike ran an Olympic’s commercial years ago that I took issue with. I thought it demeaned those athletes that did their best but just not good enough to win gold. Today everyone would win gold. I take issue with that also.

I am a "glass half full" type. I received many, many "silvers" in athletics, natural bodybuilding, science competitions, public speaking, debates, etc.
I never looked at silver as "losing gold". On that day / in that tourney or whatever contest, I just wasn't the gold winner. I learned how to be a gracious 2nd (or 3rd or 4th or lower place) finisher. Took it in stride, used it for motivation to improve.
Several years ago, at the World Junior Hockey Championships, Canada got 2nd and I was DISGUSTED and momentarily embarrased to be Canadian the way the players sulked and acted like spoiled suck-holes during the medal presentation after the game. I think USA won 😉 and was the better team that game.
I was taught class in victory and defeat - chin up, eyes forward, congratulate your opponent.
I realize this is a tangent from OP's post but it's applicable. The youth of today need to feel a little "hurt" sometimes in order to improve academically or athletically.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
What we have here is called " social promotion"
Getting left back a grade no longer exists.
You will graduate with your peers to the next level no matter what your grades.
Can't have someone feeling bad about themselves if they cannot literally make the grade.

Now what drives me nuts is IEP students.(individual education plan) They are given papers in elementary school that gives them the right to not have.to take.standardized tests for the rest of their educational process. Usually given to students with learning disabilities.
I had one student waving her papers in my face telling me that she won't take tests.
How does one evaluate a student with no basis for a grade?

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
What we have here is called " social promotion"
Getting left back a grade no longer exists.
You will graduate with your peers to the next level no matter what your grades.
Can't have someone feeling bad about themselves if they cannot literally make the grade.

Now what drives me nuts is IEP students.(individual education plan) They are given papers in elementary school that gives them the right to not have.to take.standardized tests for the rest of their educational process. Usually given to students with learning disabilities.
I had one student waving her papers in my face telling me that she won't take tests.
How does one evaluate a student with no basis for a grade?
Hello; During the latter part of my teaching time I had to be present at some IEP meetings. My role was just as a seat filler in that some member of the faculty had to be present. Never failed that I was told to just sit and listen. The folks running the special ED programs already had the stuff worked out.
The last one I had to sit in on was for a student who had aged out of the K to 12 public school system. They had a plan in place so he would transition to some sort of "adult" program. I was window dressing as a witness. I did not know the student nor had I ever worked with him. From what I understood he was genuinely retarded. One thing was for sure, the parents knew the "rights" and rules to a T.

I will tell a story. At one high school I had a classroom on the second floor. We had a fire drill one day. There was a handicapped student who had to walk with two crutches and struggled to do so. I did admire her for she had gumption. During the drill there was a backup at the stairs on the end of the building where my class and several other classes had to go to evacuate. I went to see what the problem was. The girl with the handicap was holding the evacuation up. It took her way too long to go down the stairs.
So at the next faculty meeting I brought this up. I suggested a couple of solutions. One was that she have her classes all one the ground level so the backup would not happen. Oh no that was not allowed as she had rights. I asked about the rights of safety for the 75 to 100 students backed up behind her if there was an actual fire. They had no answer, nor comment.
So I suggested a couple of us strong male teachers be assigned to carry her down the stairs in an emergency. Again that was a no go. That was somehow going to be an insult to her or some such. Schools are very on edge about the special students.
I know some may find my actions wrong in that I did not place the needs of a truly deserving person over the safety of a large number of other students. I also get this is not in the same category as as social promotion, grade inflation and everybody gets a trophy. I just was directly responsible for about 30 students in particular and was not about to let 60 or so others get potentially burned if I could help it.
I also figured in a real emergency that girl would be run over.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
On an unrelated note, does anybody know what exactly is a matrix? I was always curious about it but I never learned it even though I went all the way up to Calc 2. I took Calc physics and I think I had to use it for the dot rule, but at the point I really had no idea what was going on. Definitely was one of those who was barely got by but I'm not going into engineering.

It wasn't a topic that was covered in any of my math classes and I started at the very bottom, like pre-algebra lol. I was curious about it, but not curious enough to go all the way up to linear equations.

Last edited:

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I also figured in a real emergency that girl would be run over.
I agree with your ground floor recommendation. I don't see that as the least bit unfair, assuming the classes she needs are available there.

As for getting run over though, I would hope in a real emergency, someone would have the courage and decency to help a handicapped girl get down the stairs to safety.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
I agree with your ground floor recommendation. I don't see that as the least bit unfair, assuming the classes she needs are available there.

As for getting run over though, I would hope in a real emergency, someone would have the courage and decency to help a handicapped girl get down the stairs to safety.
Hello; I would also hope some would help the girl. However I have seen how folks do in a panic. I also have seen how a few middle and high school students are.
Two stand out in my memory. One killed his grandmother during the summer break after he had been in a class I taught. Over some money he wanted was the story.

The other was pure mean with an free hand due to being diagnosed with turretts. (SP). He would spit on the other kids, girls mostly. He would stab them with a pencil. He had shot one boy with a pellet gun outside of school. He had no remorse.
By the time that young man was in school the powers that be had taken away the paddle and essentially all other effective discipline methods. I could report him and little other than a warning would happen.
I set up a video camera in my classroom on a tripod out in plain sight. I showed the students how it worked so it was not hidden. In fact I used it to broadcast academic contests thru out the school. I would leave the camera on and recording and pointed to the area where the boy sat. I did get him spitting on a girl and poking her with a pencil. I knew the principal would not want to see the evidence if I just told him what I had. So as the principal was walking near my room I asked him to stop and look at something in my room. The video was set up and ready so when I pushed the button the scene was on the TV.
The principal could not deny nor make light of what he saw. I asked that the boy be made to have to eat lunch with me. I would collect him, take him to the lunch room and have him come to my room where just the two of us ate. He did not like it at all. I would explain that as long as he spat on others or poked with a pencil we would be eating together. For about a week his behavior was good which put a lie to the notion he could not control himself.
You may have already guessed what happened. His parents found out what I was doing and complained. So my strategy was stopped and he went back to being the evil punk he always had been. Somehow the rights of the punks outweigh the rights of decent students.

Don't get this wrong, the majority of students were decent people. My guess is a number of them would help the girl if it occurred to them. I just wanted a plan in place to be sure she got out and also did not get in the way.

One last note. I know teachers unions are getting bad press currently. I was never in such a union. The closest my state had was a teachers association. The only thing I did was to buy liability insurance thru them. I do not wish to be lumped in with what the unions are doing.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Hello; I would also hope some would help the girl. However I have seen how folks do in a panic. I also have seen how a few middle and high school students are.
Two stand out in my memory. One killed his grandmother during the summer break after he had been in a class I taught. Over some money he wanted was the story.

The other was pure mean with an free hand due to being diagnosed with turretts. (SP). He would spit on the other kids, girls mostly. He would stab them with a pencil. He had shot one boy with a pellet gun outside of school. He had no remorse.
By the time that young man was in school the powers that be had taken away the paddle and essentially all other effective discipline methods. I could report him and little other than a warning would happen.
I set up a video camera in my classroom on a tripod out in plain sight. I showed the students how it worked so it was not hidden. In fact I used it to broadcast academic contests thru out the school. I would leave the camera on and recording and pointed to the area where the boy sat. I did get him spitting on a girl and poking her with a pencil. I knew the principal would not want to see the evidence if I just told him what I had. So as the principal was walking near my room I asked him to stop and look at something in my room. The video was set up and ready so when I pushed the button the scene was on the TV.
The principal could not deny nor make light of what he saw. I asked that the boy be made to have to eat lunch with me. I would collect him, take him to the lunch room and have him come to my room where just the two of us ate. He did not like it at all. I would explain that as long as he spat on others or poked with a pencil we would be eating together. For about a week his behavior was good which put a lie to the notion he could not control himself.
You may have already guessed what happened. His parents found out what I was doing and complained. So my strategy was stopped and he went back to being the evil punk he always had been. Somehow the rights of the punks outweigh the rights of decent students.

Don't get this wrong, the majority of students were decent people. My guess is a number of them would help the girl if it occurred to them. I just wanted a plan in place to be sure she got out and also did not get in the way.

One last note. I know teachers unions are getting bad press currently. I was never in such a union. The closest my state had was a teachers association. The only thing I did was to buy liability insurance thru them. I do not wish to be lumped in with what the unions are doing.
I've seen what people do in a panic as well, to include jumping on top of a grenade (automatic Medal of Honor) and pulling people from burning vehicles under fire. Many of them were one year or less out of high school and were the 'punks' of their class. Most high school kids are punks. Teenagers are chemically (hormonal) insane. Tough stage, but some among them would help the girl to safety--for sure.

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
I've seen what people do in a panic as well, to include jumping on top of a grenade (automatic Medal of Honor) and pulling people from burning vehicles under fire. Many of them were one year or less out of high school and were the 'punks' of their class. Most high school kids are punks. Teenagers are chemically (hormonal) insane. Tough stage, but some among them would help the girl to safety--for sure.
Hello; I must disagree with some of your comments. The sort of panic reactions I was thinking of do not include heroics and self sacrifice. I cannot say how some of the trouble makers act after leaving school. My references were about two particular individuals for whom I have had personal experience.
I cannot say what might have happened because there was not a fire in the school building. You could be correct or I could be correct. Fortunately the situation did not come up.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Hello; I must disagree with some of your comments. The sort of panic reactions I was thinking of do not include heroics and self sacrifice. I cannot say how some of the trouble makers act after leaving school. My references were about two particular individuals for whom I have had personal experience.
I cannot say what might have happened because there was not a fire in the school building. You could be correct or I could be correct. Fortunately the situation did not come up.
I am not disagreeing with your point that some will panic. However, in a "panic situation" (i.e., a crisis or emergency) some will panic, while others will react selflessly, even without training. It is nearly impossible to determine ahead of time which will respond in which way (especially without training). Nevertheless, some will go out of their way to help the girl. By the way, thank you for what you are doing (or have done) for our nation's youth. Not an easy task.

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
On an unrelated note, does anybody know what exactly is a matrix? I was always curious about it but I never learned it even though I went all the way up to Calc 2. I took Calc physics and I think I had to use it for the dot rule, but at the point I really had no idea what was going on. Definitely was one of those who was barely got by but I'm not going into engineering.

It wasn't a topic that was covered in any of my math classes and I started at the very bottom, like pre-algebra lol. I was curious about it, but not curious enough to go all the way up to linear equations.
I remember doing them in college business math, but for the life of I can't remember how they work. (though I aced the class)

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
I remember doing them in college business math, but for the life of I can't remember how they work. (though I aced the class)
Isn't a matrix a cousin to the function table? I think it depends on what function you are using it for. Kinda, sorta?

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6

41me5m.jpg
Sponsored