Bought a salvage 2016 gt 5.0

IndyRN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang PP1 Premium
Has anybody dealt with this before? Or do they know 100% if its different or the same?
As a former body/frame rack guy, I'd be looking for an 18+ front clip to use as a donor. They can be had for about 3,000 from the parts farm, although I'm not sure about getting it down to Mexico. Surely you could source one from a salvage auction? There's no reason to try to pull this out if you're planning on doing the conversion anyways as the front ends are vastly different and nothing is going to line up if you try to homebrew it.

However, if you decide to keep it as a 15, should be a pretty quick job. Congrats on the new project, I'll be following it!
Sponsored

OP
OP
jrodrigo621

jrodrigo621

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jorge
Vehicle(s)
2020 shelby gt500 2016 green 5.0
Have you considered a GT500 front end?
I already have a gt500, but what did crossed my mind was the gt350 but for me its easier to find normal used oem mustang parts here in mexico rather than gt350.

I know theyre aftermarket gt350 bumper / fender / hood but i noticed that their weight is more than double.

OP
OP
jrodrigo621

jrodrigo621

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jorge
Vehicle(s)
As a former body/frame rack guy, I'd be looking for an 18+ front clip to use as a donor. They can be had for about 3,000 from the parts farm, although I'm not sure about getting it down to Mexico. Surely you could source one from a salvage auction? There's no reason to try to pull this out if you're planning on doing the conversion anyways as the front ends are vastly different and nothing is going to line up if you try to homebrew it.

However, if you decide to keep it as a 15, should be a pretty quick job. Congrats on the new project, I'll be following it!
Ive been looking at auctions but most mustangs have the front damaged & besides they are going for above 9k, but here in Mexico its easier to get used parts.

I already located hood, radiator support, both fenders, front bumper & headlights with wiring and its about 1.4k dlls for all of those items (i know i still need all the little plastic things between suport and bumper, grilles, etc)

OP
OP
jrodrigo621

jrodrigo621

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jorge
Vehicle(s)
and only available to the 2015 S550 too.

—

As for the front end, the core support, the forward top extensions off the top of the support and the inner fenders forward of the front wheels I believe are all different. The reason being is due to the redesign of the slope of the hood which allowed more forward vision for the driver. Front fenders were sloped in the same manner that match the downward slope of the hood.

Front crash bar will be different too in order to properly fit the redesigned 2018 fascia. Any topside plastics under the hood that cover the radiator area are all different as is the mounting position of the hood prop rod.

The obvious will be headlights, as they went to full LED starting 2018. I think you’re going to need new body harnesses for the headlights and I’m sure you’re going to run into Body Control Module issues where you will need to use the proper BCMs and matching As Built coding.

Anything from the A-pillars backwards is all still 2015-2020 compatible as far as structure and body panels. The rear bumper cover, black trunk lid appliqué section and the taillights were the only parts revised starting in 2018.

It is a good project, definitely keep this thread going with your whole progress - from tear down to building it.

This was the only other thread I could find that was recent with someone wanting to do a 2015-17 to 18+ front end conversion (see post #6):
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2018-front-end-conversion-for-2015-2017.88927/
Yeah i found it too, but its so ambiguous.

The thing about the bcm is what keeps me doubting to pull the trigger on the 18-20 front end, if i cant find anyone who has done it, i wont do it, cause it will be kind of hard to find the bcms, (the harness, wiring its easy)

And if i keep it original i might be doing the gt350 front bumper (aftermarket like the icon, american authority, etc that is for sale)

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
and only available to the 2015 S550 too.

—

As for the front end, the core support, the forward top extensions off the top of the support and the inner fenders forward of the front wheels I believe are all different. The reason being is due to the redesign of the slope of the hood which allowed more forward vision for the driver. Front fenders were sloped in the same manner that match the downward slope of the hood.

Front crash bar will be different too in order to properly fit the redesigned 2018 fascia. Any topside plastics under the hood that cover the radiator area are all different as is the mounting position of the hood prop rod.

The obvious will be headlights, as they went to full LED starting 2018. I think you’re going to need new body harnesses for the headlights and I’m sure you’re going to run into Body Control Module issues where you will need to use the proper BCMs and matching As Built coding.

Anything from the A-pillars backwards is all still 2015-2020 compatible as far as structure and body panels. The rear bumper cover, black trunk lid appliqué section and the taillights were the only parts revised starting in 2018.

It is a good project, definitely keep this thread going with your whole progress - from tear down to building it.

This was the only other thread I could find that was recent with someone wanting to do a 2015-17 to 18+ front end conversion (see post #6):
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2018-front-end-conversion-for-2015-2017.88927/
Huh? It was available for 2016 Mustangs.
Sponsored