20ducks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg G.
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Rapid Red
Vehicle Showcase
I have to keep my trickle charger on my battery going or it is dead. It will not start the car after 2 days of being idle. Is there a history of these batteries going bad ? My car is still under warranty but I don't trust any one at the dealership to give me a straight answer.
Sponsored

spedy7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
1966 Mustang coupe, 2023 GT
Sounds like a draw somewhere, or just SOL with the battery. I've seen new Fords/Lincolns with draws from different modules, so don't rule that out. Have the dealer do a draw test or do so yourself if you're able.

hemistar1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2, 2017 F-150
I have had no issues with battery in my 15 GT or my 19 GT. My 15 was a daily driver and OEM battery lasted and faithful until I sold the car.

I donā€™t drive the 19 as much maybe 2 times a week (covid), she just sits in the garage but fires right up. I barley have 5000 miles on the odometer. Also I got the 2019 in January last year and it was on the lot for about 6 months.

I would just have dealer replace the battery under warranty. You might just have a defective one.

OP
OP
20ducks

20ducks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg G.
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Rapid Red
Vehicle Showcase
I'm going to the dealer tomorrow. I have a "fast charger" that will start if right up, but I shouldn't need to do this.

BigRed550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
I'm going to the dealer tomorrow. I have a "fast charger" that will start if right up, but I shouldn't need to do this.
I had issues with my ā€˜19 battery. It died a few times after the first 6 months or so. Then after like a year and a month it would be dead every morning Iā€™d try to start it. Ford tested it and it was a bad battery. Got a new one and itā€™s been fine since.

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I relpaced the wet cell stock battery with a replacement AGM 96R from Advanced Auto, since I didn't want another such battery. But I still have to keep it hooked up to my Optimate6 smart charger all the time. Otherwise, it'd be severely discharged in a week. That battery is not acceptable for a 12:1 CR 5.0L V8 engine, period. My wife's ex-2.0T I-4 with 9:0 CR had a much larger battery than that (H6). If not charged constantly, it'd get sulfated quickly, until it just doesn't hold a charge anymore. It didn't cause any trouble when I went on a week-long trip (without charging it), but at home, I just keep it hooked up. And yes, first time I have to do that.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
For reference, my car spend little more than a month up on a Quickjack while I was changing couple of things in a rear suspension. Door opened multiple times (so lights got on) but never started or battery charged. Started with absolutely zero issue.

If car is dead after few days or a weeek (in the past I traveled for work a lot so two weeks of not being started wasn't abnormal), it clearly has a parasitic draw of some sort.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
I have to keep my new 2020 on the trickle charger becasue if the car sits a few days it won't start. There seems to be a ton of electronics that is running all the time and so much that lights up when you just open the door. Since the pandemic I have not driven much at all and the car sits. I do monkey with it though (modding, etc.) so I am in and out of it quite a bit. Wish the car stayed dark until I pushed the start button.

It might not be a bad battery, just not properly sized for the load. I think if i was DDing it I would not have a problem. But I would have a false sense of security.

BigRed550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
I have to keep my new 2020 on the trickle charger becasue if the car sits a few days it won't start. There seems to be a ton of electronics that is running all the time and so much that lights up when you just open the door. Since the pandemic I have not driven much at all and the car sits. I do monkey with it though (modding, etc.) so I am in and out of it quite a bit. Wish the car stayed dark until I pushed the start button.

It might not be a bad battery, just not properly sized for the load. I think if i was DDing it I would not have a problem. But I would have a false sense of security.
Do you have the active security? I find if I leave my car unlocked the active security sensors arenā€™t always running so my car can go weeks without being started now without dying.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Do you have the active security? I find if I leave my car unlocked the active security sensors arenā€™t always running so my car can go weeks without being started now without dying.
Yes. I am sure that is part of the problem.

Sponsored

coz0502

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I have to keep my trickle charger on my battery going or it is dead. It will not start the car after 2 days of being idle. Is there a history of these batteries going bad ? My car is still under warranty but I don't trust any one at the dealership to give me a straight answer.
If you don't trust the dealership to give you a straight answer have you considered going to an auto parts store and having them test your battery and alternator? Where I live, Auto Zone, O'Reily's and Advanced Auto will all test at no charge. Something to consider.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Looks like not all Mustangs are battery killers. Mine is fully loaded, including the 'security package', which might be the culprit, as somebody else already mentioned. Or maybe the Wi-Fi crap, although I have mine turned off. But I know there's nothing wrong with just my car, so will just keep it hooked up when not using it. It's been sitting for 3 weeks now, but will take it out Friday.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
For reference, mine is 400A but it does have security package (locking console and some other nonsense) unfortunately. As mentioned earlier, started after more than a month of sitting on the Quickjack.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Mine is fully loaded and I have left it sitting for a couple of weeks and had no problem starting. I have gotten into the habit of putting it on my trickle charger after having been gone for about 3 weeks over the holidays.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
Mine is fully loaded and I have left it sitting for a couple of weeks and had no problem starting. I have gotten into the habit of putting it on my trickle charger after having been gone for about 3 weeks over the holidays.
I bought my Brand New 19 GT Premium PP1 401a, Magneride, Safe and Smart and Enhancement and when I picked it up last April, the dealer said the car failed to start and so they had charge the battery. I had more starting problems about two months later, I just went on and changed the battery, but also did a AMP draw test which was normal. I forgot if the ford battery has cell access caps, but if it does, you will need to fully charge the battery and then check the individual battery cells with a hydrometer. All the dealership will do is the basic AMP draw check test which you can also do. Good Luck
Sponsored