Sponsored

10 Speed Auto or 6 Speed Manual, what say you?

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
40 so guessing a little younger maybe. The MT82 works perfectly fine for my non track use. Traffic in a manual is a misconception imo. This car is crazy easy to drive no matter the transmission. I have been in freeway closure traffic where it took hours to get home from 10 miles away and never once got tired or felt bothered by having a manual transmission. Saying that, I know all our legs are in different conditions so more years may change my opinion on this. Just my .02 on traffic. More than happy to hear you're enjoying your A10 mustang!
I am 20 years older, lol. I've known people who have had issues with the MT82. I do agree the manuals I've had in the past weren't as bad in traffic as many make them out to be. Auto is great for the old and lazy, though.
Sponsored

blue5.slow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base, M/T
I own a 2017 Mustang GT MT-82. IMO the 6 speed is more fun but no matter how fast or hard you shift this 6 speed, there's no way you're going to beat those 10r80 GT's off the line. The launch control that comes with the manual GT's is less efficient than slipping the clutch. If you're looking for fun then go buy a manual. If all you care about is getting off the line as quickly as possible then definitely go for the 10 speed.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I own a 2017 Mustang GT MT-82. IMO the 6 speed is more fun but no matter how fast or hard you shift this 6 speed, there's no way you're going to beat those 10r80 GT's off the line. The launch control that comes with the manual GT's is less efficient than slipping the clutch. If you're looking for fun then go buy a manual. If all you care about is getting off the line as quickly as possible then definitely go for the 10 speed.
The reality is that most people find more fun with the fast shifting auto now, because it's consistent every time. Missing a shift or getting gapped by a slow car because you spun the wheels is really traumatizing for a lot of people, lol.

Since I never street race and just drive for my own enjoyment, the manual is better to me. But unless you have that mindset, just get the dang auto lol.

I do genuinely believe that the 2019 and up MT-82 is actually good though. Not Tremec good, but not far off. All the throws feel good, the twin disc clutch feels nice and is very smooth, and I've yet to see one lockout or other mechanical problem. In fact it actually feels smoother pulling a gear at 7,000 RPM, lol.

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
For me personally, worth the price, but we all perceive value differently.
The value for me lies in solid hp/tq gains and improved transmission performance (I just traded my C7 Z06 ā€ so I have a decent yardstick).
Sound tube is removed, so the motor sounds like a "real" NA V8 ā€ free breathing and powerful. Sounded "canned" with sound tube.
Keeping warranty intact is awesome as well.
The kit is legit!
I paid for 1.75 hrs labour ($175 CDN).

Online, the best price in USA I saw was levittownfordparts.com. Use discount code "5off". I did this, screenshotted, and my dealer parts dept matched the price. I get treated well because I bring them donuts when I visit šŸ˜.
Thanks for the discount code. They already had it discounted but got another $50 off. With the shipping itā€™s under $1000. Canā€™t wait to get it. Loved the PP2 on my 15 GT.

friedmud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
The reality is that most people find more fun with the fast shifting auto now, because it's consistent every time. Missing a shift or getting gapped by a slow car because you spun the wheels is really traumatizing for a lot of people, lol.

Since I never street race and just drive for my own enjoyment, the manual is better to me. But unless you have that mindset, just get the dang auto lol.

I do genuinely believe that the 2019 and up MT-82 is actually good though. Not Tremec good, but not far off. All the throws feel good, the twin disc clutch feels nice and is very smooth, and I've yet to see one lockout or other mechanical problem. In fact it actually feels smoother pulling a gear at 7,000 RPM, lol.
Yet to see a ā€˜19 MT82 with mechanical trouble? I literally posted a link to one a few posts above: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/grinding-when-letting-off-clutch.153986/

BUT: I can say that other than the one issue Iā€™m experiencing I do like the transmission overall. Moving through the gears feels solid and inspires confidence.

However - the rev hang also hurts the shift-ability of my ā€˜19 GT... hopefully that can be tuned out eventually...

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Yet to see a ā€˜19 MT82 with mechanical trouble? I literally posted a link to one a few posts above: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/grinding-when-letting-off-clutch.153986/

BUT: I can say that other than the one issue Iā€™m experiencing I do like the transmission overall. Moving through the gears feels solid and inspires confidence.

However - the rev hang also hurts the shift-ability of my ā€˜19 GT... hopefully that can be tuned out eventually...
I said for myself, not in general. But I've observed on this forum that few people have had issues with their 2019 and up. In your case it's just a noise, not an issue with function. They probably forgot to grease the input shaft or something silly.

As far as rev hang, it gets better as the car breaks in. Oil vapor can trigger it too. Try getting a catch can.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
A10 is for girlie men.

1611841152174.jpeg

Echo4papa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Coupe
It's interesting to read about the different experiences with the 10-speed. I've read some people say it's great in Sport or Sport+ mode, but clunky in normal, or that it would hunt gears, etc., and I've had a different experience with mine.

In Normal mode, it's silky smooth, with almost undetectable shifts, and no hunting that I've noticed, but in Sport or Sport+, the shifts can be so hard you can feel the wheels shift, especially if cornering. It seems to get better after driving a little after first switching to Sport/+, but the next time, it does the same thing, so I don't think it's a "learning" issue.

For me, manual mode with the A10 is only good for really sporty driving - it's too many gears for just driving around town, but on a twisty road, you can keep it between 3rd and 6th in most cases, and I find it to be a lot of fun.
The smoothness of the shift, by driving mode, all depends on how you're driving. In Sport and especially Sport +, yes it definitely shifts harder, but it's also expecting you to be in that mode to drive a little harder. Go somewhere secluded, put it in sport + and floor it. You will see how smooth and quick it shifts. At least that's been my experience.

spedy7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
1966 Mustang coupe, 2023 GT
This was my dilemma when I was searching for mine. I wanted an EB/HPP and was considering an auto for the ease of daily driving. The rental I got for when my Fiesta was in the shop changed that though (V6 Charger). So bland to drive and I missed rowing my own. Decided on a manual HPP from another dealer since all we had were autos and one PP1 manual that was out of my budget.

Might change it up in a few years if a GT is within reach :p, these 10 speeds are wicked fast even in an Explorer/Aviator.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
The smoothness of the shift, by driving mode, all depends on how you're driving. In Sport and especially Sport +, yes it definitely shifts harder, but it's also expecting you to be in that mode to drive a little harder. Go somewhere secluded, put it in sport + and floor it. You will see how smooth and quick it shifts. At least that's been my experience.
See, my experience was a little different.

I found the A10 to be smooth in all modes IF I was slowly accelerating or if I was flooring it. It was between the two pedal travels where it was harder shifting, usually around 60-80% pedal. For me, I guess I was varying the throttle too much and it made it indecisive, hunt and shift harder. When I floored it, it knew to simply run up the engine and shift at the ideal point - easier work. When slowly accelerating, it must have had enough time to see it could wait and shift smoother. Also, it is just easier to shift at lower RPM. I wonder if using engine braking affects its ability to determine when to shift? No idea. For me, I seem to either be too critical, vary my throttle too much, or my driving style messes with its logic and find it not to be smooth in moderate acceleration rates at least as compared to driving a manual. Then again, manual guys tend to work at getting smooth transitions all the time. I know, an auto should be smoother but this one is really a manual with clutches and a computer doing the rowing and clutching. Not al the time but that is when I found it. I guess we all drive a little differently. I wonder how much my throttle is affected by driving manual for more than half my driving duration.

Sponsored

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Not one of those cars can he push down a hill and pop the clutch to start it. He has to wait for a real man to come along to give him a jump or tow.
out of curiosity, has anyone tried to start a manual Mustang that way? I last did that in a 90's T-Bird with a supercharged engine. I wonder with push button start and all the computer junk if that is even possible anymore.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
out of curiosity, has anyone tried to start a manual Mustang that way? I last did that in a 90's T-Bird with a supercharged engine. I wonder with push button start and all the computer junk if that is even possible anymore.
Also, who lets their battery die in a car just a few years old? I mean, besides dumb murphy stuff happening.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Is the ability to pop start a car really the hill you want to die on? Why is your manual car such a piece of shit that it can't start on it's own? The small lithium jump boxes that fit in your glovebox work great, so you can't even make this argument. Also, Arnold can tow the car with his bare hands. Try again!
Iā€™ll just leave this here

Sponsored