Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I’ll just leave this:

Auto manufacturers completely have the ability to restrict dealership pricing within the bounds of capitalism, as they’re not a government entity

dealerships are simply a subsidiary of the manufacturer, which is why they’re required to follow guidelines set by the manufacturer and can have their licensing revoked by the manufacturer

By the definition, what the dealerships are doing is price gouging

If you disagree with any of that, you’re simply wrong. Those are all facts, not opinions
Sponsored

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Good lord...
How many times do these Ford dealers think they can gouge us with what turns out to be a not so limited, over-priced, parts bin and decal car? In Silicone Valley it is unlimited.

I plan on shopping for my Mach in October on cars.com and others like it and I don't care where in the continental 48 I have to go to get a descent deal. Planning on making it a cool road trip vacation anyway.
Youtube and instragram craze isn't helping this.

faser

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
scott
Vehicle(s)
mustang/cadillac
Local dealer got a 21 Mach in. MSRP $59,390 with a 10K ADM: $69,390 sale price plus fees..
$69,390 is an ASKING price and it may sell for that amount or for $59,390 or less. We will never know but we do know that in the overwhelming majority of cases the selling price is less than and in some cases profoundly less than the asking price.
I've been buying new Mustangs for nearly 30 years and most of them were what the dealers referred to as "limited production" which in every single case was total BS.
My 2003 Mach 1 stickered for about 30 grand and was a 1 or 2 per dealer BS "limited production" offering. Bought mine for $24,500.
My '04 Terminator was another of these "limited production", rare, hard to get, SVT, masterpieces that retailed for over 36 grand, paid $29,100 for it.
I paid nearly $6,000 under sticker for my 2008 GT500 with the $3,000 rebate.
Don't be a sucker and listen to any of this "limited production" BS. Ford can fart out Mach 1s faster than we would ever buy them. The only "limit" is how many of us are willing and then able to purchase one. No more complicated than that.

Sponsored

OP
OP
traxiii

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
$69,390 is an ASKING price and it may sell for that amount or for $59,390 or less. We will never know but we do know that in the overwhelming majority of cases the selling price is less than and in some cases profoundly less than the asking price.
I've been buying new Mustangs for nearly 30 years and most of them were what the dealers referred to as "limited production" which in every single case was total BS.
My 2003 Mach 1 stickered for about 30 grand and was a 1 or 2 per dealer BS "limited production" offering. Bought mine for $24,500.
My '04 Terminator was another of these "limited production", rare, hard to get, SVT, masterpieces that retailed for over 36 grand, paid $29,100 for it.
Don't be a sucker and listen to any of this "limited production" BS. Ford can fart out Mach 1s faster than we would ever buy them. The only "limit" is how many of us are willing and then able to purchase one. No more complicated than that.
Yep, I figure 10% under MSRP is my target, but I'll aim lower to start. I'm not ready or in a hurry, or care where I buy it from, so that helps.
I almost pulled the trigger on a 2019 Bullitt a couple months after they started rolling in, but they wanted $5k ADM. Barely 6 months later when the first 2020s started showing up it was $6k under MSRP with super low financing 0.9% for 48 mo. or 1.8% for 60 mo. but my wife talked me out of it.
She wanted to drive my next Mustang and she can't a drive manual. The Mach 1 solves that issue, but I have to wait till fall.

TTown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 4Runner; '19 CRV; '06 Explorer; '17 Civic
dealerships are simply a subsidiary of the manufacturer, which is why they’re required to follow guidelines set by the manufacturer and can have their licensing revoked by the manufacturer
Dealerships are a "subsidary" of the manufacturer? What are you talking about? By definition, if your local Ford dealership was a subsidary of Ford Motor Company, Ford Motor Company would own the dealership. That's corporate law 101.

I think what you likely meant to say is Ford could, if it wanted to, exert considerable pressure on dealers through whatever contractual relationships that exist between the two. I wouldn't be surprised if Ford could (contractually) cut-off new inventory delivery to a dealership based on certain dealership behavior. But, I suspect Ford doesn't really give a shit or want to (in general) waste its time intervening in dealership pricing and the free market so long as Ford get's paid and vehicles sell.

Last edited:

peoples1234

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS
ADMs are a bad image for Ford, and they should address them.

Plus, they are reason 1001 that dealerships are dying a slow death, hopefully relegated to memory banks in the near future.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I think what you likely meant to say is Ford could, if it wanted to, exert considerable pressure on dealers through whatever contractual relationships that exist between the two. I wouldn't be surprised if Ford could (contractually) cut-off new inventory delivery to a dealership based on certain dealership behavior.
I mean, of course they are technically more of a franchise, but all the same the manufacturer DOES have the power to cut off all supply to the dealership, which makes it beyond the typical franchise which has a lot of self-sourced inventory and operates on a more stand-alone basis. I’ve seen it happen to a friend who had a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep-Ram dealership where FCA tried to mandate that even their USED inventory only consisted of the brands reflected in the dealership name, and when he refused, they cut off his supply of new vehicles.

I was also raised in a family of both franchise and private business owners. The franchise owners typically had much more say in their own business practices than your average dealership, which is why I labeled them as a subsidiary rather than a franchise. Franchise implies more private freedom, which dealerships typically do not have

Reactions: 12g

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
She wanted to drive my next Mustang and she can't a drive manual. The Mach 1 solves that issue, but I have to wait till fall.
It's hella cheaper to just have someone teach her to drive stick.

Sponsored

Tatum337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
True....I have bought more NEW cars then most families do in a life time. I have bought several special edition NEW mustangs as well. The first being a 85 SVO, 93 Cobra, had two of those, 95 Cobra, etc. NEVER have i once paid over sticker for anything and I never will. Getting a 2020 Shelby at sticker as we speak. My dealer even has NEW Saleen Mustangs, yeah they still make them lol. They actually have Shelby Super Snakes...MSRP 124K... But the current Mach 1 will not be sold under 10k over for now. The Shelby was only 80k only 10 more than Mach, lol...To be the first to have it, you gotta pay. I like Rolex watches as well. Supply and demand sucks right now. Rolex OP41mm just came out with a MSRP of 5900 but selling NEW on the grey market for 11k...no different the specialty cars..

Last edited:

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
ADMs are a bad image for Ford, and they should address them.

Plus, they are reason 1001 that dealerships are dying a slow death, hopefully relegated to memory banks in the near future.
Back in late February/early March of 2020 I was gung-ho on ordering a new GT500. Spent a few days calling and emailing dealers within a two state radius. No luck, all wanted an ADM. Sorry, not this guy. Because of it, I've had plenty of time to reconsider buying one at all (still on the fence). I'd consider that a lost sale due to the ADM nonsense, which should be anathema to any car manufacturer.

I'd give my left nut to be able to just order the car I want online and bypass the dealers and their bullshit tactics altogether.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Dealer ADM is a badge of honor to the owners who pay it.
They can afford it, doesn't even put a dent in their personal expense account.
Let it be.

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
Well “they can afford it” is not always the case imo. Many people in general go over their income limits on car, house, and misc purchases all the time.
Sponsored