Sponsored

Suggestions on brakes for a PP1 Mustang?

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Hey Everyone!

Looking for suggestions on new brake pads. I have 30k miles now and need some new pads. Their not fully worn down yet, but don't want to wait till that happens. I would like to have better performance and less dust than I currently have now, but I don't want to have freddy krueger sitting at my wheel wells either.
Sponsored

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
You're gonna have to pick between the two. There isn't a do everything perfectly pad. Street or track driving?

OP
OP
Enzo

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
You're gonna have to pick between the two. There isn't a do everything perfectly pad. Street or track driving?
street driving. I don't mind the brake dust as long as it is no more than stock. I do want better braking though. The stock brakes feel like they are inconsistent and fade.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
street driving. I don't mind the brake dust as long as it is no more than stock. I do want better braking though. The stock brakes feel like they are inconsistent and fade.
Did you put something like Motul600 in it ? Brake fluid made huge difference with my OEM brakes I don't think I ever had brake fade or problems to begin with and I'm on my 3rd set of brake pads.

Sponsored

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
How? I used the stock brake pads (DS2500) on my first three trackdays and had no problems or fading. Rather I was amazed at how well they worked. Yes, I'm just a novice, but this was on track, so I'd think even as a novice my braking would be harder than almost anyone on the street.

Fourth trackday I upgraded to the more dedicated racing pads DS1.11, mostly because they're supposed to last longer for the price though for more pro drivers I'm sure there are other significant benefits too, and plan to continue swapping between the DS2500 for daily driving and DS1.11 for trackdays.

Perhaps your pads are just getting worn out and you no longer remember how good they were?

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Hey Everyone!

Looking for suggestions on new brake pads. I have 30k miles now and need some new pads. Their not fully worn down yet, but don't want to wait till that happens. I would like to have better performance and less dust than I currently have now, but I don't want to have freddy krueger sitting at my wheel wells either.
Here you go. Recommended by many on this forum. Just pick the model that best describes how you drive and what you are looking for.

https://www.powerstop.com/product-type/brake-pads/

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
No way that you can have the stock pp1 pads fade on the street
I always have a chuckle when I read that someone changed brake fluid to motul 600 and suddenly the brakes feel/ work better
That’s 100% placebo/BS effect
The only difference between motul (and other racing fluid) and regular fluid is mostly a higher wet boiling point
In another word if your fluid has a bit of moisture in it, it take more heat before the pedal get spongy

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I always have a chuckle when I read that someone changed brake fluid to motul 600 and suddenly the brakes feel/ work better
That’s 100% placebo/BS effect
not necessarily. It was the bleeding that improved matters, not the fluid characteristics.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Enzo

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Did you put something like Motul600 in it ? Brake fluid made huge difference with my OEM brakes I don't think I ever had brake fade or problems to begin with and I'm on my 3rd set of brake pads.
I have been thinking about doing this. I hear a lot of people from all different cars love this stuff.

OP
OP
Enzo

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Less performance than stock. And no idea how OP is getting fade from stock PP pads with street driving.
I drive it very spirited on back roads. I notice when I hit the brakes hard multiple times, they will beging fade a bit. I have 30k miles on it, and drive her hard.

TopJimmyCooks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Prem PP; 2019 EcoBoost Prem
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Enzo,
I really liked the OEM Brembo pads except for the dust storm that comes with them. They were smooth, had power when you wanted, and were consistent through the pedal range. I think it sounds more like a brake flush / bleed is what is really needed. You live in an area with heat and high humidity which doesn’t help.

I have Hawk HP+ on there now. IMO, they are better for track (but the Brembos were pretty good, I used them for a couple of events). The Hawks do create less dust. Big plus. I think they are less consistent on the street and can be a bit “grabby” though. They want to be warmer than the OEMs. They are also noisy around town. I’ll probably switch to DTCs next change since I picked the HP+ with the hope they would be quieter than DTCs on street.

If you want some DOT4 fluid, no real drawback. A few bucks more. I usually use ATE, sometimes Motul. Motul has a little bit higher boil point. For what you’re doing any DOT4 should be perfectly fine.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Enzo

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Hey Enzo,
I really liked the OEM Brembo pads except for the dust storm that comes with them. They were smooth, had power when you wanted, and were consistent through the pedal range. I think it sounds more like a brake flush / bleed is what is really needed. You live in an area with heat and high humidity which doesn’t help.

I have Hawk HP+ on there now. IMO, they are better for track (but the Brembos were pretty good, I used them for a couple of events). The Hawks do create less dust. Big plus. I think they are less consistent on the street and can be a bit “grabby” though. They want to be warmer than the OEMs. They are also noisy around town. I’ll probably switch to DTCs next change since I picked the HP+ with the hope they would be quieter than DTCs on street.

If you want some DOT4 fluid, no real drawback. A few bucks more. I usually use ATE, sometimes Motul. Motul has a little bit higher boil point. For what you’re doing any DOT4 should be perfectly fine.

Good luck!
Thank you for your input on this! This is what I was looking for. I will look into the DTCs and probably pick up some motul and do a bleed then.

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
You might be able to stress your PP1 brakes 25% of their cape ability on the street, compared to what stress they will encounter on a tight road course lap after lap.
I tracked my car on stock PP1 brakes pads which were plenty adequate for my driving abilities. Really amazing performance for stock with absolutely no fade issues. However the stock pads did take a beating and covered the side of the car in brake dust. New factory pads are damn pricy btw. So I bought a track day set, EBC yellowstuff, which squeal like a pig on the street, and a street set of Powerstop z26 pads. Could not be happier with the Powerstop Z26 pads. Very similar to stock pads in how they feel with minimal dust and no squeal. Best of all they are very inexpensive.
Sponsored