Car back at the dealership....Wont go into Reverse

PizzyP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
I'll start off by saying many people are going in cringe reading that I park my car on the street overnight. But i rent a room and thats the only spot I'm allowed.

Anyhow, I always reverse into my parking spot when I arrive at work. Today as I position to be able to do this, the car will not go into reverse. No backup camera comes on, nothing. When i try to force it in, it just slips into first gear. I have non stock ball on it, so I remove the ball to make sure that is not the issue. It is not, still doesn't go into reverse *all other gears are fine*. I turn the car off, wait a minute, still nothing. I pull it into a different spot and go into work. Go back a few hours later to see if it was just being a pain, nope still not going into reverse.

So, I take the car to the dealership on my lunch. It's still there. Have not received a call as of yet that they have even looked at it.

Has anyone had this issue? Any thoughts/ideas what it could be?
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
people are going in cringe reading that I park my car on the street overnight
it's a car, not a fragile toy that will break if you look at it wrong. All my cars sit out in the elements, snow and ice, and bird poop included. But you're in SoCal you don't even get rain 9 months of the year...

since it's a M6, did the plastic tabs on the collar break off and so when you lift the ring it's not pulling up on the underlying interlock mechanism? I wish Ford had the good sense to use the push-down and over method instead of chincy plastic bits.

Last edited:

Reddirocket27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 CPO EB Prem Conv w/ 201A
I think OP meant in terms of potential damage. I've seen side mirrors broken off with no note left, dings and dents, even a shattered window or two in my days. Farther from the front door, easier to smash-n-grab.

OP- no codes present?

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
I thought i remembered hearing something about the reverse lockout adjustment could potentially cause this problem. that could have been a gen 1/2 issue though.

OP
OP
PizzyP

PizzyP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
OP- no codes present?
no codes at all.
since it's a M6, did the plastic tabs on the collar break off and so when you lift the ring it's not pulling up on the underlying interlock mechanism? I wish Ford had the good sense to use the push-down and over method instead of chincy plastic bits.
interlock mechanism moves fine, didnt notice anything broken on it at all.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
interlock mechanism moves fine, didnt notice anything broken on it at all.
can you push the stick left? If not, something is likely broken in the transmission. If you're brave, have someone push the car backwards while you try to get it into R.

OP
OP
PizzyP

PizzyP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
can you push the stick left? If not, something is likely broken in the transmission. If you're brave, have someone push the car backwards while you try to get it into R.
it goes left, and at a point it says its in R and the reverse camera comes on but its not actually in gear.

car is already at the dealership so cant try that.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Is your shifter stock? You didn't say. Your issue sounds just like a reverse bolt adjustment issue if an aftermarket shifter, or a reverse lockout issue if stock. Hopefully not anything more serious than that. Good luck.

sicilianjg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
it's a car, not a fragile toy that will break if you look at it wrong. All my cars sit out in the elements, snow and ice, and bird poop included. But you're in SoCal you don't even get rain 9 months of the year...

Yes, your right about the push-down that's why I went with the MGW shifter fantastic shifter NO plastic on this shifter!!!

POJ 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt build no.301
a damm nuisance, is the Bullitt still under warranty?

Sponsored
OP
OP
PizzyP

PizzyP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Is your shifter stock? You didn't say. Your issue sounds just like a reverse bolt adjustment issue if an aftermarket shifter, or a reverse lockout issue if stock. Hopefully not anything more serious than that. Good luck.
the ball is the only thing that is aftermarket. the shifter is stock. i took the OEM ball to the dealership today, and showed them that nothing his hitting the lockout at all.

OP
OP
PizzyP

PizzyP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
a damm nuisance, is the Bullitt still under warranty?
yes but of course they're trying to say the aftermarket ball that I have on it is causing the issue and may void the warranty.

Reddirocket27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 CPO EB Prem Conv w/ 201A
They have to prove it. Google Magnuson-Moss act.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
They have to prove it. Google Magnuson-Moss act.
Many folks think that's a magic bullet. But NO. Dealers/manufacturers can deny whatever they want. You'd have to hire a lawyer to invoke that... and better be right. Maybe the aftermarket ball allows hyper-extending the lockout, and we don't even know about that. The lockout is quite cheap, compared to paying a lawyer to invoke a law on something you're not completely sure it wasn't the issue, so I'd buy a new lockout, and install it myself, and see if that solves the issue. Good luck OP.

blackk3389

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
WILL
Vehicle(s)
'19 BULLITT#3389, '03 cobra vert#2198,2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately the aftermarket ball will be what the dealer will blame. as it is literally directly connected to your problem. dealers will get you any way they can. they see it as get paid now by denying you warranty. i have had multiple law suits with Ford, thats all i buy is Fords and Lincolns. i have only won half of those suits. and it can get expensive. my lawyer says its like suing the government.
Sponsored