Sponsored

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
I am with TOM, it happens ALL the time in every aspect of life. There should be a list, and a list is fine, but i shouldn't be required to surrender my car, my time, my whatever until you are ready to work on it, i understand nobodies perfectly efficient and little leeway is needed but it has gotten out of control for the most part. (i have an old motorcycle cylinder waiting to be ported for 6 months) instead of being on a list....its on his shop counter and i have to remind him every 2 weeks i am waiting for it still)
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I get the surrender of the keys, Tom but I'd be willing to bet there's a "list." I think it's also likely that there is a wall-size spreadsheet with every vehicle, status, and estimated completion date on it somewhere.

You've been there, I haven't, does the place strike you as a bunch of shade tree mechanics or more like a squared away custom shop?
Then why would one's car be in LV for a year?

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
I am guessing SA gets tons of wannabes saying there going to have stuff done and then never here from them again. So giving them your car shows intent and commitment. And likely they will tell you they are multitasking and working on many cars at once and need it a full year. Reality i imagine is they do most the work within 3 months and the rest of the time is just collecting dust. Again this is all my opinion.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Then why would one's car be in LV for a year?
Probably to avoid any possible shipping delays that would interfere with the schedule but I hear ya, Tom. In a perfect world, it wouldn't be that way but, it is what it is.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Probably to avoid any possible shipping delays that would interfere with the schedule but I hear ya, Tom. In a perfect world, it wouldn't be that way but, it is what it is.
Lets start a new thread about SA if you would like to discuss further. It should be obvious how I feel about the whole SA thing. We drive Fords. The name on the car was purchased. It is not a Shelby product. If ford stopped paying for the name, the cars wouldn't say Shelby.

In the mean time, back on track........

So, nothing is really new with the '21 except painted on stripes for all who want them (this I have to see) and a CFHP which all that makes it different is black painted CF wheels.

No RSD and no "G4" wing (lol) as stand alone options.

If you want a wing, you have to get the CFTP or go aftermarket.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
The big news for '21 is that the hose issue at Flat Rock has been mitigated.

Possibly.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
..and a CFHP which all that makes it different is black painted CF wheels.
I didn't check...but I thought you only got the big wing on the Track Pack this year, Tom? I'm probably screwed up.

RapidResponder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 CFTP, 2022 Shelby SSS, 2023 Raptor R
I must say that KB is correct in that there is a "list", or a wall size spreadsheet if you will. I took a picture for a friend who happens to be listed as Chassis #DSE 0004. He is also listed in the company of many well known VIPs and collectors under GT350SE and GT500SE columns.

You must keep in mind that Shelby American is a "Small" company with a "Big" name having a well respected reputation for the highest quality in design and custom parts. Performance is their business and they are considered a close partner with Ford Performance sharing access to proprietary technology. Currently, 75% of Shelby's business is performance F-Series and Raptor Trucks. And they are partners with Tuscany Motors who makes Harley Davidson, Black Ops, FTX and Shelby Performance Trucks.

It is important to understand that Shelby limits the volume of all models to retain exclusivity and protect buyers investments. You also will not see expansion which keeps their well known quality at the highest levels. Again, Shelby American is a "Small" company with a "Big" name and it appears they intend to keep it that way.

Tom, I understand your concerns regarding turnover time. But there is a large exclusive list of customers who are more than happy to invest money and patiently wait for the product of their dreams. Allow them that opportunity and we can continue to covet our 2020 factory GT500s.

Regarding the 2021s, I am happy that Ford Performance is again offering a CFTP which will include all of the 2020 options including exposed CF Wheels and GT4 Wing! Detroit would only tell me that the CFHP will have painted CF Wheels and that a GT4 Wing would be separately available. There was no mention of the CFTP, but there it is!

Continue enjoying your awesome 2020 GT500! And I can't wait to hear about other new 2021 orders.

RR

Last edited:
OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
So...hang on a minute.

I purchased a few items from Shelby in Vegas a few years ago and must say that the quality was below subpar. Witness their rear axle vent/breather tank for S197's. Welds were abysmal (confession - I was a certified welder in another lifetime), fitting for the hose was cross threaded, the entire piece was covered in shop dust as if it had sat in a crypt in Egypt for 1,000 years, and there was a weld slug rolling around inside. A friend ordered one at the same time and his was a perfect match. If you played in a caribbean band you could have used them as a pair of maracas. Consistently unacceptable.

I purchased a complete set of '07-'09 take-off interior skins that were torn from a hasty removal. Shelby never said a word and when I called they said I didn't read the disclaimer about damaged items.

This was after Amy left and people were pissed about the KR hood prices. Plasan was in a lawsuit with Shelby for not paying their bill on the KR hoods they made. I realize this was the Parts group there but it is Shelby in Vegas and not somebody else. They may have turned it around but I would have a hard time buying anything from them unless I was certain the quality was there and that if there was an issue that they would correct it without summarily denying their responsibility in selling defective hardware.

Edited to say that I don't mean to poop on anyone's crackers and hope they have better quality controls in place.

Last edited:

Sponsored

RapidResponder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 CFTP, 2022 Shelby SSS, 2023 Raptor R
If you played in a caribbean band you could have used them as a pair of maracas.
Your description paints a very clear picture! Lol :crackup:

In no way will I minimize your experience, but I personally have had nothing but the best of experiences with Shelby American. IME, the people are great, the products are great and the history is exceptional. Then again, I would have to say the same thing about icons Jack Roush, Steve Saleen and the entire Ford Family.

That said, more than fair statement by you regarding your experience. A lot of people respect your opinion, and so do I.

RR