You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
How long has your car sat there untouched?
So my car arrived at SA on 09/21/20. It's been there for 15 weeks (and 2 days) as of now. I am not sure of the usual protocol, but I sent my car early so it would be there, ready to be picked form holding, once my turn popped up. I figured that I wouldn't be driving my car all that much between 09/18/20 and now anyway.

As much as I wish the show was on the road already, I sent the car early.
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
So my car arrived at SA on 09/21/20. It's been there for 15 weeks (and 2 days) as of now. I am not sure of the usual protocol, but I sent my car early so it would be there, ready to be picked form holding, once my turn popped up. I figured that I wouldn't be driving my car all that much between 09/18/20 and now anyway.

As much as I wish the show was on the road already, I sent the car early.
That's cool. As I said, I would never send my car off to some place for a year. That's me. I know this is a life long dream of yours and I am happy for you.

I have been to SA many times. They have a huge facility. I don't think they should bang them out, but again, I don't see how it is possible that a car takes a year to do a conversion.

The thought of taking a car and putting it in a corner is a pet peeve of mine. For instance, my car had paint defects that had to be corrected. I had to stop the Xpel process until the paint work was done and given time to cure. That body shop insisted I drop the car on a specific day. The car sat for two weeks.

I recently had a half shaft replaced. The part was on back order. They wanted to push my car out the door while they waited for the part. That is what they would normally do for most people. I worked it out that the car would stay inside and up on the lift while I waited for the part. As soon as one side was done, I picked the car up because nothing ever good comes from leaving a car in a shop for no reason. Dents, dings, people backing into it...... you name it, I've heard it all.... and it happens.

You are somewhat an exception. SA is not geared up to do the work yet and you knew that going in. But you can't tell me that it takes a year to do one of these conversions, especially if you are connected.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
That's cool. As I said, I would never send my car off to some place for a year. That's me. I know this is a life long dream of yours and I am happy for you.

I have been to SA many times. They have a huge facility. I don't think they should bang them out, but again, I don't see how it is possible that a car takes a year to do a conversion.

The thought of taking a car and putting it in a corner is a pet peeve of mine. For instance, my car had paint defects that had to be corrected. I had to stop the Xpel process until the paint work was done and given time to cure. That body shop insisted I drop the car on a specific day. The car sat for two weeks.

I recently had a half shaft replaced. The part was on back order. They wanted to push my car out the door while they waited for the part. That is what they would normally do for most people. I worked it out that the car would stay inside and up on the lift while I waited for the part. As soon as one side was done, I picked the car up because nothing ever good comes from leaving a car in a shop for no reason. Dents, dings, people backing into it...... you name it, I've heard it all.... and it happens.

You are somewhat an exception. SA is not geared up to do the work yet and you knew that going in. But you can't tell me that it takes a year to do one of these conversions, especially if you are connected.
I completely agree actually. If it was as simple as one car goes in and is worked on until it is complete, I would say no more than one month (most of this time in the body shop) to complete the car. I feel this is more than enough time to do what my car is getting done, while maintaining quality work.

Unfortunately it's just not that simple. My car will go into body first (when it's number is pulled), and spend it's time there until body/paint is done. Then it goes to another station (interior, mechanical, suspension, what have you), then from one to the other until it's complete. Each time it is finished in one phase, it will have to wait for an opening in the next phase. This causes the car to sit in limbo between each phase. At least this is the understanding that I have of the process.

It definitely takes restraint to send a car through this process, but as you mentioned, this is a lifelong dream for me so here I am. I have no remorse about making the decision, I knew the timeline before I made up my mind. To me it's just what it is to get what I want.

Again, my only grip is the lack of communication. I am hoping that once my car' number gets called, that the communication will not take so long to get updates.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I completely agree actually. If it was as simple as one car goes in and is worked on until it is complete, I would say no more than one month (most of this time in the body shop) to complete the car. I feel this is more than enough time to do what my car is getting done, while maintaining quality work.

Unfortunately it's just not that simple. My car will go into body first (when it's number is pulled), and spend it's time there until body/paint is done. Then it goes to another station (interior, mechanical, suspension, what have you), then from one to the other until it's complete. Each time it is finished in one phase, it will have to wait for an opening in the next phase. This causes the car to sit in limbo between each phase. At least this is the understanding that I have of the process.

It definitely takes restraint to send a car through this process, but as you mentioned, this is a lifelong dream for me so here I am. I have no remorse about making the decision, I knew the timeline before I made up my mind. To me it's just what it is to get what I want.

Again, my only grip is the lack of communication. I am hoping that once my car' number gets called, that the communication will not take so long to get updates.
I still see no reason why the process takes a year. Again, you sent your car off in advance. I get that.

The rest of them? Send your car in and we will get to it when we get to it. There should be no reason that this process should take a year.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
FWIW, I know of gunsmiths who make ultra custom and high dollar replica rifles Tom and their waiting lists are as long or longer than SA's. It's unfortunate for the customers like Jaime but I guess it is what it is. If you want something badly enough, you pay the price whether that be in pesos or time.

Just look at the number of folks who want the darn wing. Now, if I were running FOMOCO, I would hope that I would see that opportunity and make the damn thing available to those who want it.

I'm glad I pulled it off but as I've said before, it was total luck to be in the right place at the right time. Not making it possible for more folks to spend additional money to get what they want just doesn't make sense to me. And there's no way the number of people who would want it would affect the value of vehicles in any meaningful amount.

People wait long periods of time for many things in life and this happens to be one of 'em and I hope the time passes quickly for our bud @Jmeo.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
FWIW, I know of gunsmiths who make ultra custom and high dollar replica rifles Tom and their waiting lists are as long or longer than SA's. It's unfortunate for the customers like Jaime but I guess it is what it is. If you want something badly enough, you pay the price whether that be in pesos or time.

Just look at the number of folks who want the darn wing. Now, if I were running FOMOCO, I would hope that I would see that opportunity and make the damn thing available to those who want it.

I'm glad I pulled it off but as I've said before, it was total luck to be in the right place at the right time. Not making it possible for more folks to spend additional money to get what they want just doesn't make sense to me. And there's no way the number of people who would want it would affect the value of vehicles in any meaningful amount.

People wait long periods of time for many things in life and this happens to be one of 'em and I hope the time passes quickly for our bud @Jmeo.
I think you missed my point. The car doesn't take a year to rebuild. All I said is that I would not hand my keys over for a year long proposition. There is a big difference in a year long waitlist and a year of being without your car for a process that should not even come close to take a year.

That is my opinion. A statement was made that a CFTP would be in LV for a year, I have a hard time believing that is the case, especially with the connections involved. If it is true, there is something seriously wrong at SA.

RapidResponder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 CFTP, 2022 Shelby SSS, 2023 Raptor R
Well stated KB. Many of the loudest complainers have no intention of an SE Upgrade. On the other hand, many that do are well aware of the significant investment in both time and money. This is not a GT/SS Upgrade, but a GT500/SE Upgrade. And a hand-fitted widebody takes additional time as well.

God bless 'em and congratulations on what may be a once in a lifetime opportunity.

RR

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
So much for a standalone wing option.

Isn't this where all of this started?

BoostinFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor
Sorry for my ignorance, what is this SA you guys speak of? I read all the posts, so it got my attention. 😏

RapidResponder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 CFTP, 2022 Shelby SSS, 2023 Raptor R
The official 2021 GT500 Order Book has not been released as of yet. Although Detroit is still tight lipped, I would not yet count out these performance options on these high performance super cars. I am told the GT4 CF Wing will be optional and I am expecting to order it.

So those that are stressed about this or that regarding the 2021 GT500 Order Banks, all I can say is don't worry your pretty little head. All will be clear soon.
CFTP. Sounds pretty clear to me now.

IMG_0154.JPG

Sponsored

BluByeU

M6G SoCal Cruisers
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob HT
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GTPP Recaros & Shaker 401a
Sorry for my ignorance, what is this SA you guys speak of? I read all the posts, so it got my attention. 😏
Shelby American Las Vegas

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Tom: I didn't miss your point, honestly. In my example, whether you send in a rifle for customization or, have one MADE from scratch, you still wait. It's about getting on the list at all in many cases. Perhaps you wouldn't wait that long but some will. I don't think outfits like SA could schedule things like a body shop, even if they wanted to. In order for them to have stable employment for their employees, it seems they've figured out that the only way to do that is to have multiple vehicles in the loop, including those just standing by.

I know we all hear where you're coming from and no doubt many others agree. But as I said, IMHO, it comes down to how badly you want something.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Tom: I didn't miss your point, honestly. In my example, whether you send in a rifle for customization or, have one MADE from scratch, you still wait. It's about getting on the list at all in many cases. Perhaps you wouldn't wait that long but some will. I don't think outfits like SA could schedule things like a body shop, even if they wanted to. In order for them to have stable employment for their employees, it seems they've figured out that the only way to do that is to have multiple vehicles in the loop, including those just standing by.

I know we all hear where you're coming from and no doubt many others agree. But as I said, IMHO, it comes down to how badly you want something.
There is no list here KB, you are turning your car over. Its more like a surrender of your keys for a year.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
I get the surrender of the keys, Tom but I'd be willing to bet there's a "list." I think it's also likely that there is a wall-size spreadsheet with every vehicle, status, and estimated completion date on it somewhere.

You've been there, I haven't, does the place strike you as a bunch of shade tree mechanics or more like a squared away custom shop?
Sponsored