Jmeo's 2020 Shelby American GT500 SE Wide Body Build (+ "Phase 2")

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
As you noted, you've already spoken to AC and MPR, but just as a long shot, is it possible that either of them or FP would have a template/guide since your primary concern is getting the holes properly placed?
Well yes, this is what I am calling plan B. Tom has expressed his generosity to help in this matter, and I have spoken to John at MPR about the same thing. Obviously the priority is to get one installed before she is pushed out of the SA birth canal, and introduced to the world.

I am grasping at strings here, but I hope there is somebody out there who can help. Honestly I would prefer to purchase an OEM wing from Ford if someone can help on the price.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Well yes, this is what I am calling plan B. Tom has expressed his generosity to help in this matter, and I have spoken to John at MPR about the same thing. Obviously the priority is to get one installed before she is pushed out of the SA birth canal, and introduced to the world.
I may be reading the conversation wrong, but I am talking about an overlay; i.e., paper, cardboard, etc., rather than a temp loan spoiler. Sorry if I am just throwing out (not so) bright ideas or covering old ground. Best of luck either way. Watching your adventure with admiration and anticipation.

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I may be reading the conversation wrong, but I am talking about an overlay; i.e., paper, cardboard, etc., rather than a temp loan spoiler. Sorry if I am just throwing out (not so) bright ideas or covering old ground. Best of luck either way. Watching your adventure with admiration and anticipation.
Thanks for your kind words.

You are correct. Plan B is to get a template at the very least so the trunk can be filled/drilled/prepped & painted while at Shelby American. Next best thing would be a template for drilling and a pair of brackets already installed during assembly. This way when I finally get one, I would just have to drop it on the pedestals. I am gonna go balls to the wall and to try to have an actual spoiler on my car for delivery. If not for nothing more than the full frontal assault of beauty that it will be.

To be honest, I hope Shelby will want to share my car with the world and bring it to SEMA. I believe the timeline will line up, if SEMA happens this year......

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

I am grasping at strings here, but I hope there is somebody out there who can help. Honestly I would prefer to purchase an OEM wing from Ford if someone can help on the price.
If one doesn't magically show up on yours or Shelby American's door step, you'd be looking at a lot of money even at a dealerships cost. Did you reach out to your friends in parts? I'd venture to guess a dealerships cost would be around 12-14K. It would be one or the other with no in between.

Anderson? You know how I feel about that.

MPR? I think that is your ticket. I believe they will step up like they said...... And I think it is nice that they are in the same home town as where your car is.

Again, if all else fails, I could swing by Shelby with my mounts to get the drilling done correctly, but they would have to do that the day I was there. If I were to leave them or send them, someone would have to take responsibility for the cost of the kit (see above price). I could also make templates for you if you don't want to deal with that.

I mentioned one of your friends in the parts business go ahead and order a kit to see if there is a mounting template in there. May I suggest reproducing the template and returning the wing kit?

BeastAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Just found this thread.... Questions/Comments:

Thought about an aftermarket wing...? Sorry if I missed a comment
https://www.archetyperacing.com/product-page/spectre-swan-neck-wing-1
Think this would be just as wide, or just shy of the width of the rear of the car. Unless you want to stick with stock (Ford).

If your still on the fence, I think you should stay with the widebody option. That's the one you wanted, and if you change your mind now, some point I think you will regret it... IMOP Its a lot of money for sure, but Im sure when you get it back you will love it. And with the after market scene, a wheel could be made...

When I toured Shelby America, if I remember right, I think its the bottleneck at the bodyshop/paint that takes the longest. Some cars were complete with all their performance/handling but were month(s) out from complete because of the body/paint shop. Wheels were also done in batches, which is why some cars had their widebody rears but stock wheels... Was looking into and getting quotes on having SS package done on my '13 GT500 while back.

Added:
Are the stripes painted or decal? I say paint side vents to match car.

In for all the updates :fingerscrossed:

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Another thought..... Why not contact the folks who did the MPR preorder in the link I supplied. I think it was the usual cast of characters, many of whom are just storing their cars for the winter. I don't know if a few months would make that much of a difference to them.

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@Tomster

If one doesn't magically show up on yours or Shelby American's door step, you'd be looking at a lot of money even at a dealerships cost. Did you reach out to your friends in parts? I'd venture to guess a dealerships cost would be around 12-14K. It would be one or the other with no in between.

I did speak to him, he is going to look into things on Monday when back at work. Luckily for him (and you) he lives in Florida, so he is out enjoying his newly acquired GT500....lucky bastard. You are correct, price will bee too out of reach no matter how hard I cross my fingers.

Anderson? You know how I feel about that.

Yup, I know your feelings with them, and they are your legit feelings to have. I have had good experiences with them in the past, had a great conversation with Zach, and remain hopeful that something can happen. Again, in this case the issue is not with Anderson, it's the red tape that's still wrapped around the whole process. If Zach has his way, he would have sold many of them by now.

MPR? I think that is your ticket. I believe they will step up like they said...... And I think it is nice that they are in the same home town as where your car is.

John at MPR was very helpful as well, and I agree that he is probably my only hope OB1, as far as vendors. I hope something works out, but it's my fault for not playing the Game of Wings earlier.

Again, if all else fails, I could swing by Shelby with my mounts to get the drilling done correctly, but they would have to do that the day I was there. If I were to leave them or send them, someone would have to take responsibility for the cost of the kit (see above price). I could also make templates for you if you don't want to deal with that.

As far as your help, I don't think I would ask for more than a template. As you mentioned, leaving your brackets with SA is not an option for either one of us. There is no way logistically we could arrange a one day visit to get them mocked up and then leave with you. I would not accept the risk of leaving them there, or taking your generosity doing so either. I am humbled by your offer none the less.

I mentioned one of your friends in the parts business go ahead and order a kit to see if there is a mounting template in there. May I suggest reproducing the template and returning the wing kit?

It is possible that C could order a wing and then get the template. This will be left for a conversation with him if need be. On that note, do we know anyone in assembly that can get me a copy of the template from where they install them at the factory? I wonder.

Another thought..... Why not contact the folks who did the MPR preorder in the link I supplied. I think it was the usual cast of characters, many of whom are just storing their cars for the winter. I don't know if a few months would make that much of a difference to them.

I have spoken to one of them, but I would NEVER ask such a thing. We all have our reasons, wants & priorities. I would never ask anyone to do such a thing for me. My situation by no means trumps anyone else's. Hind sight is 20/20, I should not have entered the race so late. If someone on the list does not have a problem waiting a month or so longer for theirs and offers this to me then it was as meant to be as I hope getting one is. Who knows, stranger things have happened.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just found this thread.... Questions/Comments:

Thought about an aftermarket wing...? Sorry if I missed a comment
https://www.archetyperacing.com/product-page/spectre-swan-neck-wing-1
Think this would be just as wide, or just shy of the width of the rear of the car. Unless you want to stick with stock (Ford).

If your still on the fence, I think you should stay with the widebody option. That's the one you wanted, and if you change your mind now, some point I think you will regret it... IMOP Its a lot of money for sure, but Im sure when you get it back you will love it. And with the after market scene, a wheel could be made...

When I toured Shelby America, if I remember right, I think its the bottleneck at the bodyshop/paint that takes the longest. Some cars were complete with all their performance/handling but were month(s) out from complete because of the body/paint shop. Wheels were also done in batches, which is why some cars had their widebody rears but stock wheels... Was looking into and getting quotes on having SS package done on my '13 GT500 while back.

Added:
Are the stripes painted or decal? I say paint side vents to match car.

In for all the updates :fingerscrossed:
I am looking for a 100% OEM looking wing. I appreciate the link, but that's not for me.

I fell off the fence and I will definitely still be getting the wide body for all the reasons you mentioned, and more.

You are correct, body & paint is the pinch in the hour glass for sure.

I have opted for the painted stripes, which I am extremely excited to have.

Also, I have changed the wheel color to gloss black. With what I have happening now, brushed aluminum would not be the best look in my opinion. (7/2/21 EDIT: I spoke too soon again)

My very last decision to make (as of now, lol) is to leave the side vent louvers exposed carbon, or painted body color. I have arguments with myself every day as to why each decision is a good one. I love both options, I just can't commit to a final decision yet lol.

Last edited:

BeastAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
My very last decision to make (as of now, lol) is to leave the side vent louvers exposed carbon, or painted body color. I have arguments with myself every day as to why each decision is a good one. I love both options, I just can't commit to a final decision yet lol.
So, my question is: Is the center vent the stock vent?

I saw your post with the aftermarket vent T has started, which I think you opted for CF. Will the vent match the hood weave? (Would drive me crazy if not) I think matching the CF hood vent with the side vents would look good. So do you want to present a lot of CF (center vent, side vents) or color match side vents which leaves the center CF vent as the focal point as your looking down the painted stripes. I'm sure a photoshop master could whip up both options for visual reference. I personally have to see it to decide if I like it or not. But, I'm sure it will look amazing whichever you decide.

Good luck, and this would be a nightmare for me... And quite expensive.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Jaime: Since you've opted to go with a Python, I have to change my opinion from painted to exposed CF on the side vents...IF the weave and finish can be matched closely enough for government work. If not, painted for sure. I think either would look spectacular though just not mistmatched CF weave.

Probably a good call on the wheel finish.

And best of luck with the wing and I truly hope an OEM model can be obtained. I wonder what happens to the Track Packs we've seen totalled? Granted, there can't be many of those but it also might be an avenue worth pursuing.

KB

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So, my question is: Is the center vent the stock vent?

I saw your post with the aftermarket vent T has started, which I think you opted for CF. Will the vent match the hood weave? (Would drive me crazy if not) I think matching the CF hood vent with the side vents would look good. So do you want to present a lot of CF (center vent, side vents) or color match side vents which leaves the center CF vent as the focal point as your looking down the painted stripes. I'm sure a photoshop master could whip up both options for visual reference. I personally have to see it to decide if I like it or not. But, I'm sure it will look amazing whichever you decide.

Good luck, and this would be a nightmare for me... And quite expensive.
Apparently the gloss twill weave will be the same as the exposed CF of the additional hood vents.

I have a plan for the CF that I will eventually share as it all comes together. That said, the additional vents on the hood would tie in nicely to my CF pans if they are CF, or if left body color.

BeastAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
And best of luck with the wing and I truly hope an OEM model can be obtained. I wonder what happens to the Track Packs we've seen totalled? Granted, there can't be many of those but it also might be an avenue worth pursuing.
That would be a good option to pursue. Just have to find one with front engine damage and try are willing to part it off. Just have to make sure all hardware and stuff are coming with it. See if you can get the trunk and all... (Since they are painting it anyways)

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I had a really good conversation with my point of contact today. I had created a pretty long list of questions & decisions to make over that past couple months, and we got through all of them.

I still need to make a decision about wether to paint the hood side vents blue, or keep them exposed gloss carbon fiber. He sent me some more pictures to make my decision, well.......... even harder, lol.

tempImageZBOdsn.jpg

tempImageymJ5Sh.jpg

Disregard the finish to the underside of the hood, this is a pre-production hood, but look at that heat release.

tempImageBwfB8Q.jpg

I think the following two images may persuade my decision.....

tempImagevaW729.jpg

tempImageVztcuw.jpg

That exposed gloss carbon fiber, combined with @50 Deep PYTHON hood vent, will be pretty killer I think.

I also found out they changed from using the stock rear panel with an SE badge to the super snake panel with an SE badge.

tempImage30WvDu.jpg

Lots of other good information today, but the really, really good new is that she is on target to enter production by the end of THIS month.

BeastAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Now that I can see it..... Vote exposed, hands down. But whatever you pick, its going to be awesome!

Interesting they changed the rear panel. Any reason to why?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
He sent me some more pictures to make my decision, well.......... even harder
leave them carbon fiber and just slap some vinyl on them of whatever color you want. Looks like an easy wrap job.