The Official M6G Investment thread

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Oh no, I don't do politics. There's always 2 sides to every story and I'd never back one side or the other fully. I'm not an extremist. I'm a realist and independent voter. I don't lock myself into one and not blinded by either party.
Congratulations on doing very well.
BTC of 1% of holdings would be smart as a hedge. Gold is just as good IMO.
The thing with btc is you have to pay taxes on selling... so I can see where it will never take hold as payments or as a currency. Plus with how many btc a select few own, it's heavily manipulated. If anything US may come up with a digital dollar and btc may become a digital gold of sorts. Either way, i won't ever put too much in anymore. I'll wait for the next big dip in it and buy 1 or so.

I've learned a lot over the course of a year. Had I known then what I know now I would have been set for life many life's over hahaha. I now realize, in history stock market "crashes" always have been 30 to 37%. So had i known that I would have put into my favorites at that point and rode all the way back.
I also would have held what I believed in long enough to collect the REAL gains.
I can only learn from the past. So now I'm sitting in a stock I know for a fact can 10x easily and could 50x(unlikely, but possible.
I'll pull profits at 10x but leave 50% in for a huge pay out. Regardless of what it does, ill report back here with results. I'm not to proud, if it pulls back I'll post that I lost my ass. :)

Good luck to you all. I'll be back!
Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Interesting thread. When I retired from GM, I took my pension in a lump sum and parked it in two funds with my financial planner. One aggressive, one pretty much conservative. When the market tanked in March, I peeled a little bit off of the conservative fund and invested in a portfolio including seven of the stocks I had been tracking in a virtual portfolio on the Stocktracker app. I use Stocktracker to follow stocks I might have an interest in while I research them. I might have 20 stocks in there at any point in time. All of the seven stocks I eventually purchased tanked amidst the COVID scare. In my opinion, they tanked for reasons not related to the way they were being managed or realistic expectations of their value. In other words, I was a vulture swooping up wounded animals. I had every reason to believe they would all recover to at least their March 2020 valuation. Boy, was I wrong 😎 My favorite of that purchase was Tesla.

As of yesterday, my portfolio of seven is up 395%. Tesla alone is up 647%. My “worst” performer is up 8%. It’s the company my wife works for, so I bought that one mainly just because. Another is Nvidia, a company that provides controller chips to the gaming and auto industries. I had been watching that one for over a year, so when it tanked, I snapped it up. They are deep into auto safety technologies and are THE company providing controllers for autonomous driving applications.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Interesting thread. When I retired from GM, I took my pension in a lump sum and parked it in two funds with my financial planner. One aggressive, one pretty much conservative. When the market tanked in March, I peeled a little bit off of the conservative fund and invested in a portfolio including seven of the stocks I had been tracking in a virtual portfolio on the Stocktracker app. I use Stocktracker to follow stocks I might have an interest in while I research them. I might have 20 stocks in there at any point in time. All of the seven stocks I eventually purchased tanked amidst the COVID scare. In my opinion, they tanked for reasons not related to the way they were being managed or realistic expectations of their value. In other words, I was a vulture swooping up wounded animals. I had every reason to believe they would all recover to at least their March 2020 valuation. Boy, was I wrong 😎 My favorite of that purchase was Tesla.

As of yesterday, my portfolio of seven is up 395%. Tesla alone is up 647%. My “worst” performer is up 8%. It’s the company my wife works for, so I bought that one mainly just because. Another is Nvidia, a company that provides controller chips to the gaming and auto industries. I had been watching that one for over a year, so when it tanked, I snapped it up. They are deep into auto safety technologies and are THE company providing controllers for autonomous driving applications.
That is great to hear!! I hope you are enjoying retirement!
You made a very wise decision in pulling out of conservative and rolling into aggressive at that time. Did you put back to conservative? Funds are good for growth over a long period and are more stable because the risk is spread thru many stocks in the fund. However for very large gains, if pick a tsla, a qcom etc in the early going, especially when you can load cheap. Massive gains but also massive volatility in the early years.
Happy New Year!!

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is great to hear!! I hope you are enjoying retirement!
You made a very wise decision in pulling out of conservative and rolling into aggressive at that time. Did you put back to conservative? Funds are good for growth over a long period and are more stable because the risk is spread thru many stocks in the fund. However for very large gains, if pick a tsla, a qcom etc in the early going, especially when you can load cheap. Massive gains but also massive volatility in the early years.
Happy New Year!!
No. I’m handling the stock portfolio in a separate brokerage account. The “conservative” fund with my financial advisor is still returning just under 7%, so I’m fine with that. My more aggressive fund is returning right around 9%.

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
Since this post im up 200K more and climbing. Next year is going to be a very good year, I believe. Out of the gate, for '21, may see some tax selling in my stocks.
I'm expecting a very big infection point in one of my holdings within a couple months. I'll either be Tap dancing with Danny Kays son or I'll be a little poorer as stock may decline on no JDAs.
Good to hear stories about folks still getting ahead in this crazy situation. I thought about selling some of my winners in the non-retirement account to rebalance but likely will stick with "buy and hold" since I'm bad at predictions.

Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
No. I’m handling the stock portfolio in a separate brokerage account. The “conservative” fund with my financial advisor is still returning just under 7%, so I’m fine with that. My more aggressive fund is returning right around 9%.
That's great then. Its what I do too. I have an SEP ira and a brokerage. I load the max in ira every year to enjoy no tax until I retire. Which I can right now if I wanted, but still in my 40s.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's great then. Its what I do too. I have an SEP ira and a brokerage. I load the max in ira every year to enjoy no tax until I retire. Which I can right now if I wanted, but still in my 40s.
Well, I’m in my late 50s, so I have two long term investments with my financial advisor, courtesy of cashing out my GM Pension. I also have my GM 401k and a 401k from my current company. Plus my wife has a pension with Ford that she’s about to cash in so we’ll have a 3rd long term account. Plus we both have nicely paid work from home jobs with Fortune 500 companies and I have the brokerage account as my personal playground.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Good to hear stories about folks still getting ahead in this crazy situation. I thought about selling some of my winners in the non-retirement account to rebalance but likely will stick with "buy and hold" since I'm bad at predictions.
Where are they at in their S curve?
Is there a lot more growth for them?
I try to hit stocks that are at an infection point or as close to it as possible. Sometimes you gotta wait before they pop... and it takes months or more.
Lots of people have done well in SPACs this year but I think those are becoming more of a pump and dump. Some have bright futures, im sure. If you can, get a Twitter account and follow a couple well notarized stock gurus and see what they do. Maybe not jump right into the ones they recommend, but watch and wait for the right time to jump in.
Just some thoughts. I don't have any money in funds right now. When I'm done with building the majority of my wealth, ill do covered calls to generate 40 to 50k a year easy, and also put a sizable amount into a high dividend stock. right now, im waiting for inflection in my holdings.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Well, I’m in my late 50s, so I have two long term investments with my financial advisor, courtesy of cashing out my GM Pension. I also have my GM 401k and a 401k from my current company. Plus my wife has a pension with Ford that she’s about to cash in so we’ll have a 3rd long term account. Plus we both have nicely paid work from home jobs with Fortune 500 companies and I have the brokerage account as my personal playground.
Sounds like you are set, thats great to hear!! I like to hear of hard workers like yourself coming out well off in life. We can do anything with hard work and determination. I don't know you but im sure you have a lot of people around you that look up to you as a roll model.
I was labor worker, almost 30 years. I was a masons helper for a couple and then machinist the rest when I started my own shop about 20 years go, that I still have today. My wife's got a 401k too, she's a registered nurse. Its the thing where you say your age give a retirement time and slide the risk meter haha.. we don't even mess with it. Keep it in conservative.
She's happy and that's all that matters.

BeastAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Just found this! I'll have to read some of this a little closer.

I'm 37 and invest 26% before tax and 4% after tax to my company (8 years) 401K. My wife (29) works as well, same company, 24% before tax and 4% after tax to the company (10 years) 401K. I also have a coupe thousand in a roth IRA set aside, but I don't contribute to it due to no tax advantage (make more than the maximum). I have been looking into small investing and couldn't decide where to begin.

Any advice or past experiences? Thanks a lot.

Can go in more detail if needed.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
your online username and password to your broker website would be helpful to get the full run-down of your portfolio and how to best (re)balance your asset classes to maximize risk and minimize returns.

/joking

BeastAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
your online username and password to your broker website would be helpful to get the full run-down of your portfolio and how to best (re)balance your asset classes to maximize risk and minimize returns.

/joking
💸💸

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Just found this! I'll have to read some of this a little closer.

I'm 37 and invest 26% before tax and 4% after tax to my company (8 years) 401K. My wife (29) works as well, same company, 24% before tax and 4% after tax to the company (10 years) 401K. I also have a coupe thousand in a roth IRA set aside, but I don't contribute to it due to no tax advantage (make more than the maximum). I have been looking into small investing and couldn't decide where to begin.

Any advice or past experiences? Thanks a lot.

Congratulations for making some good choices early in life.
Explain to me what your are after with small investing, just using a couple thousand in a trade here and there?, You can start by opening a brokerage account. I have a brokerage account that has a checking attached to it. So after I trade, if I wanna move some money to the checking account I can. So with that you get a debit card etc, its basically a bank.
Once you get your brokerage set up, then you can start trading.
If you're gonna do small trades, I'd look into the business that intrigue you or that are disrupter in a segment. Such as biotech, semiconductors, EVs, IOT etc etc.
Then do some research/Due Dilligence, and take the plunge.
A lot of people have a problem investing their hard earned money. I have zero problems. I think a lot of the time people have problems is because they don't trust. You just have to know what your trading and believe in the company. If you don't, then don't buy it.
My brother in law wanted to get into the market with me but he just can't put his money in. He doesn't want to lose it.
After how much I've told him I've made, he still won't do it. Oh well...
I see his concern but after the fed dumps 8T, I definitely don't stay in the dollar. You gotta be in assets to retain wealth. Whether it be real estate, precious metals, land, stocks etc. I see a huge decline in the dollar coming in the next 5 years. I don't ever think it's going away, just losing purchasing power.
If your 401k provider doesn't have a brokerage, i use schwab and has free trades. there are places like webull and robinhood for the quick apps for trading. pretty easy to set up. Just remember, for trading in a brokerage that isn't retirement based , you need to pay taxes on any gains. so all trades need to be reported end of year.
Good luck

BeastAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Congratulations for making some good choices early in life.
Explain to me what your are after with small investing, just using a couple thousand in a trade here and there?, You can start by opening a brokerage account. I have a brokerage account that has a checking attached to it. So after I trade, if I wanna move some money to the checking account I can. So with that you get a debit card etc, its basically a bank.
Once you get your brokerage set up, then you can start trading.
If you're gonna do small trades, I'd look into the business that intrigue you or that are disrupter in a segment. Such as biotech, semiconductors, EVs, IOT etc etc.
Then do some research/Due Dilligence, and take the plunge.
A lot of people have a problem investing their hard earned money. I have zero problems. I think a lot of the time people have problems is because they don't trust. You just have to know what your trading and believe in the company. If you don't, then don't buy it.
My brother in law wanted to get into the market with me but he just can't put his money in. He doesn't want to lose it.
After how much I've told him I've made, he still won't do it. Oh well...
I see his concern but after the fed dumps 8T, I definitely don't stay in the dollar. You gotta be in assets to retain wealth. Whether it be real estate, precious metals, land, stocks etc. I see a huge decline in the dollar coming in the next 5 years. I don't ever think it's going away, just losing purchasing power.
If your 401k provider doesn't have a brokerage, i use schwab and has free trades. there are places like webull and robinhood for the quick apps for trading. pretty easy to set up. Just remember, for trading in a brokerage that isn't retirement based , you need to pay taxes on any gains. so all trades need to be reported end of year.
Good luck
Thank you for the explanation.

1. I'll have to take a look at the brokers. Any reason you like schwab over the others?
2. I assume I can link checking or savings account..? Possibly open an additional savings to like it to a trading account.
3. Yes, looking to possibly use a thousand (example) and try trading as other means of making money/investing.
4. Company 401k provider is Trowe Price. I believe I have been doing pretty well, gains have been 9-12% over the life so far. And I've read that I might be able to trade with more options this year... So we shall see. Hopefully retire at 59, so have 22 years left. However, since I work commercial nuclear, life of the plant is a factor as well. Worse case, retire at 55 when the plant closes... All in all, I should hopefully be set at either aspect. Note: If the government is reading this, bump up the $19.5k max for investing into 401k... :like:
5. That what I was thinking. So do I have to keep track of every gain and loss or do the companies/apps keep trake of those things and just give a report at the end of the month/year? Then I would claim the gains and pay taxes on them, correct?

Of course, will have to sit down with the wife and make sure she is all good with it. Or just start with a lot smaller $. Is there any website or book you use that help you with starting/researching for trading?

Last edited:

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
1. I'll have to take a look at the brokers. Any reason you like schwab over the others?

My CPA deals with him, himself, so he recommended them to me. I like them because of zero commissions, make trading cheap. I also like the banking aspect. Your brokerage is a savings account and then you link a checking to it. its real nice. But if you don't want to you don't have to. I link my old bank checking to it as well, and my business account, one can electronically transfer whenever want. Can also do international transfers for my business, which my small bank couldn't do.

2. I assume I can link checking or savings account..? Possibly open an additional savings to like it to a trading account.

See above, the brokerage is your savings.
What you don't use for trading it just sits in there collecting interest. Thing is you can actually trade it into a high yield ticker for better than any savings account thru a bank or just leave it in a solid dividend stock and trade out of it if you need the money.

3. Yes, looking to possibly use a thousand (example) and try trading as other means of making money/investing.

Sounds good, that's what you wanna do

4. Company 401k provider is Trowe Price. I believe I have been doing pretty well, gains have been 9-12% over the life so far. And I've read that I might be able to trade with more options this year... So we shall see. Hopefully retire at 59, so have 22 years left. However, since I work commercial nuclear, life of the plant is a factor as well. Worse case, retire at 55 when the plant closes... All in all, I should hopefully be set at either aspect. Note: If the government is reading this, bump up the $19.5k max for investing into 401k... :like:
sounds like your doing very well. If you have any kids, think about college funds like plan 529. There's a tax write off for up to a certain amount per child, per parent.

5. That what I was thinking. So do I have to keep track of every gain and loss or do the companies/apps keep trake of those things and just give a report at the end of the month/year? Then I would claim the gains and pay taxes on them, correct?

Of course, will have to sit down with the wife and make sure she is all good with it. Or just start with a lot smaller $. Is there any website or book you use that help you with starting/researching for trading?

that's exactly correct, they generate a report for you and you have to report the gains or losses. So if you lose 1K(up to 3K i think can be claimed as losses) you can write that off as a loss.
But yeah, you just pay taxes on the gains.
Right now tax code is 20% for assets held for over a year and like 30% if under a year. So say you have a stock you buy and trade out of it 5 days later for a 20% gains you'll be taxed 30% of that 20% gain. Say you made $100. well, you clear $70.
So you have to take that into consideration. At the end of the year tax man will come calling
Your brokerage should show all your gains and losses daily, in a report. Its at your fingertips with Schwab. There are many good brokerages, so do some looking. Maybe even ask your 401k provider who they recommend for zero fee trades and great customer service.

as far as research goes, I dont use any publications. I just go by what I like. Don't invest in things you don't think are the future or have a future. Only buy what you would want, not what someone else is buying just because they are buying it.
So look into segments of industry, tech, biotech, energy, commodities and see where you see a need, a future need, demand and breakthru ideas etc.
Maybe it could be in your field of expertise
One thing, you gotta do a lot of research. I've learned a lot about areas out of my expertise. Lots of learning to do, especially when I put so much $ into an investment, I wanna make sure I believe in it 100%. If your trading a low % of your net worth, it's not as critical, in my opinion, but if trading say 10% into a trade, better know all there is to know, at least what is public :)
Hope this helps some!!

Good luck! Let us know how things go.
Sponsored

Last edited: