Leaking tire

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
Im losing a lb a week in my tire.ive brought it to major tire place and both times they couldn't find it.i,was wondering could air be leaking slowly from tire monitoring system..thanks
Sponsored

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
Have they replaced the valve stem? Easy and cheap check.

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I second the valve stem as the next likely cause, if they truly cannot find anything wrong with the tire.

OP
OP
Torched10

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
I second the valve stem as the next likely cause, if they truly cannot find anything wrong with the tire.
I've watched them do the bubblevtest,but maybe itd is too slow it doesn't throw off any bubbles.ill try that.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
I've watched them do the bubblevtest,but maybe itd is too slow it doesn't throw off any bubbles.ill try that.
Yeah, I've had this once or twice. Nothing shows a leak, yet it leaks, valve stem cures it.

Sponsored

o-man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
Don't assume its the valve stem. That slow of a leak is going to be all but impossible to find. I worked in tire stores for years and have run in to the same issue with customers cars. You can try to spray soapy water on and around the stem. It MIGHT, if its leaking, show some bubbles with the weight of the car on it

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Don't assume its the valve stem. That slow of a leak is going to be all but impossible to find. I worked in tire stores for years and have run in to the same issue with customers cars. You can try to spray soapy water on and around the stem. It MIGHT, if its leaking, show some bubbles with the weight of the car on it
Exactly ^^^^. Do it at home, use the soapy water in spray bottle or even any type of glass cleaner spray will work as well.

Soak the tire, valve stem and edges of rim in the spray and watch for any “bubbles”... make sure to move car slightly forward or backward to check the tread area that makes contact with the ground...

You’ll find it...if there is a leak.

The valve stem CORE can be tightened with either small needle nose pliers or the small tool found in a car or bicycle valve stem kit (most auto parts stores should have the kit).

The only other reason tire psi would change is due to exterior weather conditions, such as extreme cold/extreme hot.

Last edited:

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
No one said assume valve stem, if they check everything and you have a slow leak, replacing the valve stem is an easy and cheap move. You two are overthinking this.

OP
OP
Torched10

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Exactly ^^^^. Do it at home, use the soapy water in spray bottle or even any type of glass cleaner spray will work as well.

Soak the tire, valve stem and edges of rim in the spray and watch for any “bubbles”... make sure to move car slightly forward or backward to check the tread area that makes contact with the ground...

You’ll find it...if there is a leak.

The valve stem can be tightened with either small needle nose pliers or the small tool found in a car or bicycle valve stem kit (most auto parts stores should have the kit).
The only other reason tire psi would change is due to exterior weather conditions, such as extreme cold/extreme hot.
Thanks alot.im 75 and in high risk covid so trying not to go to stores etc.so if there's a way to tighten it at home in all for it.i have needle nisr so what do I need to do to tighten valve stem.thanks

o-man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
No one said assume valve stem, if they check everything and you have a slow leak, replacing the valve stem is an easy and cheap move. You two are overthinking this.
You do realize the valve stem is part of the TPMS? So with the short sidewalls, you will have to dismount the tire, mount, and rebalance. Maybe you are underthinking it? ;)

Sponsored

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ShadowBlack GT Premium401a, PP1, ActiveExhaust
If you see no bubbles on the tire itself and no bubbles around the rim/bead, I would put soapy water on valve stem/rim area, and also try spraying/dropping soapy water on the valve stem core. This was my problem around 10 years ago.

The valve STEM core gasket was leaking (visually looked fine), and tire shop wanted to charge me to replace the while stem/tpms. I asked them if they checked valve core, and they said yes, but I didn't see them do it.

I came home, checked and soapy water was bubbling around the valve stem core (underneath the cap)

Went on ebay, got a replacement valve core and a core removal tool. I never went back to the tire shop again.

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
You do realize the valve stem is part of the TPMS? So with the short sidewalls, you will have to dismount the tire, mount, and rebalance. Maybe you are underthinking it? ;)

I think he may have been referencing the Shrader valve, better known as the core.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I think he may have been referencing the Shrader valve, better known as the core.
Correct - I should have referenced the word “core” (have since edited that response). The valve stem CORE could be bad or loose which would cause a slow leak.

The core tool can be purchased up at any Auto Parts stores (AutoZone, Advance, NAPA or O’Reillys), as well as stores like WalMart.

This is the most common basic tool w/ extra cores:

https://shop.slime.com/collections/...lve-tool-with-valve-cores?variant=47558464968

OR

https://shop.slime.com/products/valve-core-tool?variant=47559919624

There’s many YouTube videos showing how to use that tool for tightening up or replacing cores.

OP
OP
Torched10

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Correct - I should have referenced the word “core” (have since edited that response). The valve stem CORE could be bad or loose which would cause a slow leak.

The core tool can be purchased up at any Auto Parts stores (AutoZone, Advance, NAPA or O’Reillys), as well as stores like WalMart.

This is the most common basic tool w/ extra cores:

https://shop.slime.com/collections/...lve-tool-with-valve-cores?variant=47558464968

OR

https://shop.slime.com/products/valve-core-tool?variant=47559919624

There’s many YouTube videos showing how to use that tool for tightening up or replacing cores.
The slime unit worked to tighten the core.thanks alot

Pittpa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 6MT
When I was a kid, the local station had a curved bucket to submerge a portion of the tire. But you can use the bath tub or hot tub (jets off).
ETA, spousal acceptance factor is likely pretty low.
1610391010840.png
Sponsored

Last edited: