Questions about getting a custom tune for Roush supercharger

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
The PBD video is a year old. Roush has had at least 3 tune revisions since then including the intro of phase 2. Maybe PBD has improved their tune as well?

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
So break it down, power from tuning can come from air flow, fuel, spark, and cam timing. Iā€™m not talking about shifting or other trans behavior.

Air flow is as simple as, is the throttle opening all the way? I havenā€™t seen a mustang cal where this isnā€™t the case except for intentional torque reduction (see below).

Fuel - Roush runs a little richer than the other mainstream sc cals out there, but not by much. Iā€™m talking like .05 lambda before COT. This might actually help delay COT and could translate into an advantage.

Spark - Almost all supercharged coyote cals run right at borderline knock, including roush. There are differences in how quick they get there or how often they hit knock, but ultimately I donā€™t think there is much power increase there on pump gas.

Cam timing - Roush uses an interesting cam schedule that appears to be geared for low-rpm torque. There are probably some top-end gains available by modifying this part of the cal.

That said, there are dozens of ways torque management or engine protection can kick in and cut air, spark, or fuel. I know roush has had issues with transmission rpm limits (123 bug) and LSPI load cut (throttle close at high MCT), but I donā€™t know if any other limiters are kicking in even partially to cut power.

OP
OP
BMAGOO

BMAGOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS, 2016 Explorer Sport, 2015 Ram 1500 Sport, 1968 Firebird
Vehicle Showcase
@engineermike
That video is on a 2018. Also the Roush for a 2018 is different than 15-17. I get what youā€™re saying though. Picking up 25 HP for $1000 might not be worth it.
Red5.0 has a ā€˜16 just like I do and got 37 HP with a tune and cat deletes and says it now feels supercharged. Iā€™ve read quite a few times that a custom tune really wakes up the Roush. Thats kinda what Iā€™m after.
I donā€™t know, Iā€™m still just researching and weighing my options right now. Maybe I need to start by looking into seeing what version of tune I have. Sounds like there may have been a few revisions since I got mine.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
@BMAGOO sorry, I thought yours was a gen3. At any rate you have to be careful to separate what people ā€œfeelā€ woke up the car (qualitative and subject to human bias) and what actually did add power. I canā€™t ā€œfeelā€ 20 hp on a 700 hp car but maybe to some that difference is night and day.

Sponsored

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
BMAGOO, since your car is a 2016, the video wouldn't apply. A custom tune might make a larger difference on yours. However, before doing that, I suggest you email Roush with your VIN and ask if you have the latest cal for your car. They have had a number of updates for the 2018+ models but I don't know about pre-2018.

After investigating custom tuning for my 2018, I concluded that it wasn't worth $1000 to me at this point.

Red5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 mustang gt race red non pp
Usually you wonā€™t feel a 20-30 Hp but even without the power gains... the car is completely different across the board in a good way. Car just seems more violent probably the best way I can describe it in my opinion.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Usually you wonā€™t feel a 20-30 Hp but even without the power gains... the car is completely different across the board in a good way. Car just seems more violent probably the best way I can describe it in my opinion.
More aggressive throttle tip-in and having the torque at lower rpm does make a car feel stronger and more responsive even if maximum HP is only slighty increased.

OP
OP
BMAGOO

BMAGOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS, 2016 Explorer Sport, 2015 Ram 1500 Sport, 1968 Firebird
Vehicle Showcase
I really appreciate all the info and opinions you guys have provided. My first step is going to be contacting Roush to see if there are any revisions for my tune. My biggest concern is the drivability. Iā€™d hate to spend over $1K for only 20 HP and have it drive like shit. Also need to get better tires. P-Zeroā€™s suck for traction. Gotta do more burnouts I guess to wear them out !
In the meantime, I hope more guys with a Roush and custom tune can chime in. Still have lots of time to make a decision.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Roushā€™s tunes are horrendous. Youā€™ll probably see a 1/2 second difference in in the 1/4z. Thereā€™s a lot more to it than just hp. Roush starts pulling timing at about 100-110 Iat2s which pretty much immediately. Then closes the tb at 150. Which is why you have so many videoes online and hear stories of N/a mustangs beating Roushā€™s with 200-300 less hp. 2018ā€™s with later Roush tunes can compete with any factory stock supercharged car but that due to Roush creating still buggy but more aggresive tunes. I test drove a 15 Roush and when my 18 a10 was stock it would have held its own imo. You need to custom tune and not even second guess it. Get rid of the cats also.

Sponsored

Red5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
More aggressive throttle tip-in and having the torque at lower rpm does make a car feel stronger and more responsive even if maximum HP is only slighty increased.
Thatā€™s probably what it is then but I like it lol

Red5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I really appreciate all the info and opinions you guys have provided. My first step is going to be contacting Roush to see if there are any revisions for my tune. My biggest concern is the drivability. Iā€™d hate to spend over $1K for only 20 HP and have it drive like shit. Also need to get better tires. P-Zeroā€™s suck for traction. Gotta do more burnouts I guess to wear them out !
In the meantime, I hope more guys with a Roush and custom tune can chime in. Still have lots of time to make a decision.
You will definitely need to buy better tires as well. I went with the nitto nt555r2 for good summer traction and driving in the rain capability. They have been good so far dry and in the rain.

Red5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You will definitely need to buy better tires as well. I went with the nitto nt555r2 for good summer traction and driving in the rain capability. They have been good so far dry and in the rain.

NicksRubyRed15GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Deep impact blue 16 GT
Lund took my 16 with a TVS/Roush blower from barely spinning the 235's to running a 10.51@131 with only a catback. That was on a 93 tune and the 85mm pulley also. I added catless headers and ran a 10.40@135. Well worth the gains you will see

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
What the Roush tune gets you is cat safety. Its meant to run rich and have a cat saving feature. I believe thats why Jordan feels its better to remove the cats. Not only for more power with a more aggressive tune, at the detriment to the OEM or aftermarket cats.

Dave
Which is why the 18 guys are losing their cats . The newer Roush tunes are much more aggressive with the latest 93 octane 750hp tune and even the latest 700hp cal. Mine sounds like an active shooter. I've lost one cat already and the other is most likely going to go also. But I can gap a hellcat from a roll so I'm good.
Sponsored