Why DIDN'T you get a camaro?

JohnnyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'20 Mustang GT, '17 Expedition, '04 LS430
Dude It sucks sometimes. I always wanted a 97-98 Eclipse GSX a buddy of mine had one not a gsx but regardless when i sat in his and had to basically stick my head out the sunroof to drive it, It crushed me.
2nd Gen MR2, S2K, a third gen RX7, a Miata. All cars I would have been happy to buy...but I just can't. Road in an old GF's Z3; more than half my face was above the windshield. Awkward!

Good thing I'm not on the supercar level of car shopping.

JohnnyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'20 Mustang GT, '17 Expedition, '04 LS430
I'm still in love with the DC5 Integra. First car I bought on my own. And my big ass somehow fit in that thing.While I got pulled over more than once, one of those times the officer asked why I would want to drive such a small car for my size. Told him I fit, it's quick and fun. Got off with a warning.

toplesstripcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Red 50th Mustang GT vert, '03 yellow Evo
My reasons are more why I got the Mustang, as oppsed to why I didn't get the Camaro. Please keep in mind I got a 2015, so the reasons pertain to that time period.
1. Retro look: I got the 50 years package, so it has the chrome trim around the taillights and the chrome corral grille.
2. Interior: Mustang is roomier, windows larger, dash more upscale. The Camaro interior looked to basic, toy like.
3. Engine: Still kept smaller displacement, yet made more power, internal improvements.
4. Heritage: 2015 Mustang is a milestone, new body, chassis, 50th anniversary. Although Camaro would eventually have a 50th anniversary, it isn't a true one, as it went out of production 2003-2009. The Camaro did do their 50th Edition a little better though. Chevy put 50 year logos on the fenders, the wheel caps, and the floor mats. Ford only put on the front seats and the dash.

There are others, but thse are the main ones.

activeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 350 Lead-foot grey
Being 6'6 when I sat in the Camaro and I couldn't even sit right without my head hitting the roof
The Camaro actually has almost an inch more headroom. The Mustang, an inch of legroom.

EmCel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Em
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Being 6'6 when I sat in the Camaro and I couldn't even sit right without my head hitting the roof and then also just being cramped, and also not being able to really see that much around the car on top of it just being way too small did i mention it was really small.... I would of bought a C7 over a Camaro.

At the end of the day I like the Mustang better in almost every way. To me Ford really out did them selves with the S550 styling and everything else. Plus im a mustang guy.
Damn you're tall AF. Being so short myself (5'2") my mustang has all the room I need, I'm almost touching the steering wheel with my tatas trying to reach the clutch. Camaro was the same way, hell with every manual car I'm the same. All good tho.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
The Camaro actually has almost an inch more headroom. The Mustang, an inch of legroom.
Damn you're tall AF. Being so short myself (5'2") my mustang has all the room I need, I'm almost touching the steering wheel with my tatas trying to reach the clutch. Camaro was the same way, hell with every manual car I'm the same. All good tho.
Just shows how sexist the industry is. They publish leg and head room figures but not tata.

EmCel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Em
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
^
Yeah I thought about getting an extender for the clutch but I dunno 😆 I find it kinda silly.

From time to time I worry about the air bag deploying too if I ever get into an accident. Like will it just deploy and knock the shh out of me because I'm so close? :)

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
^
Yeah I thought about getting an extender for the clutch but I dunno 😆 I find it kinda silly.

From time to time I worry about the air bag deploying too if I ever get into an accident. Like will it just deploy and knock the shh out of me because I'm so close? :)
10" is the recommended distance between air bag and breastbone. Less is dangerous. Not linear though. 2" is easily fatal, much more than 3 times as dangerous as 6". Not sure how biological padding affects the safe distances. If pedal extenders are out, you could tilt the seatback to get more distance. That has its own drawbacks.

EmCel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Em
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Thanks I'll look into the extender then. Better safe than sorry.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
It all started with me when Santa brought a certain slot car road race set for Christmas one year...That red fastback Mustang was just sooo much cooler than the blue Camaro.
F7E4616E-FD09-4D1A-911C-3E62096FD87F.jpeg

Cheezzy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shaun
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt- 401a, PP1, A10, Active exhaust
Idk dude, I could actually sit in my mustang and have head room / just more room in general. That wasn't case for me when i sat in the camaro, I felt like i was in a sardine can.

The mustang interior wise to me when i was car shopping was just a smidge smaller than the Hellcat challenger, Yes the Hellcat had more room but the mustang was just as good.

Cheezzy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shaun
Vehicle(s)
I want to say barefoot I'm almost 6'7 so when I put my work boots on I'm almost 6'8.

LOL tatas space matters, never thought about having the opposite problem. Did you work on my car when I had it at the dealer by chance? The seat was set to literally the steering wheel I thought I was going to die from the seat crushing me when I got my car back.

1609006036507.png

Cheezzy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shaun
Vehicle(s)
This happens to me when I accidentally hit my wife's setting :crackup:

Only 6'2" though (without boots), but she's 5'4".
Thankfully / maybe unthankfully i have no else to worry about messing up my seat settings except whoever did that to me at the dealership.

Forever alone :(

EmCel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Em
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
I want to say barefoot I'm almost 6'7 so when I put my work boots on I'm almost 6'8.

LOL tatas space matters, never thought about having the opposite problem. Did you work on my car when I had it at the dealer by chance? The seat was set to literally the steering wheel I thought I was going to die from the seat crushing me when I got my car back.

1609006036507.png
You're still tall AF...

I just measured and I'm 11" away from the steering wheel. So it's not bad as I thought :) I thought it was worse than that since I look super short from the outside. In general too of course.

Last edited: