Sponsored

2021 GT500: Manual Trans Option?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
When I said unique and special, I was referring to the mustang line up.
I would be very surprised if it didn't show up in the 3rd year of the S650 as a 'boss/gt350/cobra/60th anniversary' model. It's a transmission, not some bit of unobtanium. At least Corvette sells in such volume it'll be mostly amortized there.
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
Interesting. I remember all that was coming out. Do you remember when mustang and corvette were never directly compared? It is amazing that Ford has taken the GT500 to where it is. IMHO, it has exceeded the latest corvette and its capabilities. Amazing.
And the article mentions an all wheel drive version. Can you say Raptor w/Predator?

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
The fact this car doesn't have a manual for me means I won't be purchasing. The DCT/PDK cars are brilliant with forced induction as the boost doesn't drop off between shifts. However, DCT/PDK cars I call sugar high vehicles. After it wears off you want a manual. I don't care if the car is a tad slower, it's about driver involvement. I came out of PCars and BMW M cars and a lot of those drivers after awhile got out of their DCT cars back into a manual. Also, on resale the manuals go for more money. The GT500 with their ADMs would almost push me onto a 992.2S, which now has a manual option.
Honestly another deal breaker for me is that the DCT doesn't have a shifter. Paddle shifters are cool, but I really don't like having to solely rely on them. I really do like the feel of using the shifter also. Imo it gives me the feeling of a sequential transmission, just pulling the shifter back to upshift and forward to downshift. Its nice to have both and to me, even though its not the same it definitely is a good substitute and would be enough to make me consider it over a manual

The GT500 is insane and I can't imagine a car with that much power being fun to drive with a manual. I would for sure fuck up the transmission or something because of the massive wheel spin and torque you get. I understand why people want a manual but you guys are crazy.

Definitely don't want to be anywhere near you on the road🤣 I will be the guy who sits back and watches while you peel out from a stop.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500

JRHolliday

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
If you follow any real track racing you will see that most track cars ie: GT-3 and GT-4 that use DCT transmissions, there is no comparison to a transmission that can shift gears in milliseconds. There's no nobility in rowing the gears to a slower cause. I get it, you like playing with your stick, but you will go slower compared to a DCT. Speed itself is more fun than shifting your own gears.
I disagree. The manual is more fun! Why buy a sports car if you can not enjoy shifting? If its speed you want then get the automatic, I will watch you go by as a slam through my gears.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Manual. Automatic. Sequential. DCT. Each one is unique and not like the other.

The GT350R-C used the TR3160. The GT4 Mustangs use a Holinger sequential, a major upgrade in terms of performance (and not something you'd want to use on the street).

i-KLPq52g-X3.jpg

Even Maxwell commented that the sequential shifted car was a lot more fun.
https://sportscar365.com/imsa/impc/maxwell-mustang-gt4-is-what-people-love/

The DCT in the GT500...those that haven't spent time with it on the track won't get it. Fine by me. Just keep moving over to the side please and everyone will be happy.
Sponsored