Sponsored

Use your paddle-shifter A10 owners or Ford may well decide to 'cost optimize' them out

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
Good to see that Ford has arrived at the "de-contenting" phase of this repeat of the same cycle they go through over and over. We're at the part where they find out what happens when they put bean counters in charge. This puts them about half way through the cycle. I hope there will be still be someone around who can rescue them around 2025.
Sponsored

Mr. Met

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB
We had a 2017 Explorer and upgraded to a 2020 ST. They actually added rear sensors for the new model. I could absolutely see them removing the paddle shifters in other cars, dont really see the point in them. But, I think more Mustang owners probably do use them.

ZX3ST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, Kona Blue, J3116
Oh boy, this should be good long term.

Removes prox sensors from door handles because not many people use them. Puts rear seat heaters in. Srsly? I'd venture to guess the low usage has a lot to do with many people not realizing it's there in the first place. My mom's had a late model Escape for over 2 years and had no idea that the whole "touch the door handle" was even a feature. She's been using the keyfob the whole time. It made her year when I showed it to her.

PTS (and the prox sensors that come along with it) are only equipped on the upper lever trims. That's a great idea. Start removing features from the trims people are paying extra money for.

What's next? Removing seat heaters altogether because people only use them 3mo a year? Making the back door windows crank because people rarely roll them down? Why not just remove the turn signals, nobody uses the fkn things anyhow. Shit, how many people use the power inverter feature?

Pick one, Ford. You're either trying to play in the upscale market segment or you're not.

Agree with the above comment. They're in the de-contenting phase yoyo they've been doing for years. I wouldn't be so wound up about it if it's a way for them to offer products at cheaper price points, but we all know that isn't the case. More money, less substance.

Not sure how I feel about them knowing anything about my door handle usage in the first place.

Sorry about the rant. I need a drink.

Scott.lester1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT premium, oxford white, performance package level 1, 401a
See, this is the kind of rubbish that "connected cars" allow manufacturers to data-mine. Pulled your #10 fuse yet?

Read all the way thru.
https://fordauthority.com/2020/12/ford-nixes-rear-proximity-sensors-on-f-150-supercrew-pickups/
it looks to me like they’re only eliminating it from the escape but I use mine all the time to hold gear longer or get right into the power band I love it on the 10r80 but I just wish Ford would revise them a bit and make them less like buttons with a more precise timing

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
When I drive spirited I use the paddles for down shifting into corners. The computer does a great job upshifting but the down shifting sucks. So I leave it in D, since if I use S it goes manual. When I enter a corner I use the paddles to select the gear I want for the corner, then add go pedal on exit. Rince and repeat.

Sponsored

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
When I drive spirited I use the paddles for down shifting into corners. The computer does a great job upshifting but the down shifting sucks. So I leave it in D, since if I use S it goes manual. When I enter a corner I use the paddles to select the gear I want for the corner, then add go pedal on exit. Rince and repeat.
This is what I've been learning to do with the 10-speed after using the paddles in S with the 6r80.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
""Hold down the upshift for a second. It goes back to auto shift mode without having to change drive modes. ""

When I'm pushing the edge I have enough to think about controlling the car.

For me it is just easier to keep it in drive. On a track I'm mostly WOT or braking, so D works well for up-shifting.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
For me it is just easier to keep it in drive. On a track I'm mostly WOT or braking, so D works well for up-shifting.
In Sport mode, there is a feature called “upshift backout”. Once you go wot, it maintains max rpm after you let off the gas, downshifting at the right time to stay just under red-line. It really keeps it in the sweet spot 100% of the time until you meet the requirement to disable it. This seems to me like it would be ideal for curvy roads or road course racing.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
How do I engage that? “upshift backout”

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
@ZX3ST I agree. The upscale features aren’t there because everybody uses all of them the life of the vehicle. They’re there to make a sale based on what the consumer thinks is cool and thinks he will use. I’ve lost track of the number of “wow that’s cool” features that seemed cool on the lot but after a few months I never used them again. T-tops come to mind. Wait, is that why they downsized the f-150 fuel tank in 2015? Because no one ran it all the way down to the last 3 gallons of the older bigger tanks? Must not need the capacity then right?

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I pretty much never used the paddles on my DSG GTI, unless I was fighting the computer for lugging up a hill lol
Sponsored