Sponsored

Use your paddle-shifter A10 owners or Ford may well decide to 'cost optimize' them out

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
See, this is the kind of rubbish that "connected cars" allow manufacturers to data-mine. Pulled your #10 fuse yet?

Read all the way thru.
https://fordauthority.com/2020/12/ford-nixes-rear-proximity-sensors-on-f-150-supercrew-pickups/
For the F-150, I can't imagine anyone using the back door handle to auto-unlock. I don't see that being a big deal. For the paddle shifters on your Mustang, if you really wanted to shift, you should have bought a manual not an auto. I have the MT-82, so not sure how good the paddle shifters are in the auto, but paddle shifters are a joke in most cars.

I know that wasn't the point of the article, but I doubt most people use either feature anyway. Now, to the point... every aspect of our lives is monitored. This is nothing new. Ever seen the movie The Truman Show?

acemastr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Mine changes immediately when I pull the paddle with a decent amount of throttle being applied. When I'm cruising around light throttle it shifts slowly for comfort.

I use mine when I'm taking some corners so I can stay in the gear I want, never once felt that they were bad.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
It's less about wanting to shift, than it is the paddles not being great. There is a noticeable delay between hitting the paddle, and the gear actually changing. I use them mostly to correct the transmission, not to go through all the gears. It's not just a TC transmission issue, my Charger has a much snappier response when I use the paddles. The problem with that is the current gear doesn't stay on the display, and it's all or nothing with the paddles.
How new is the Charger? The ZF 8 speed?

Also, I wonder if the paddle shifters are any better in the GT500.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Wouldn't you just love to see a list of every part in our cars that are monitored by the telemetry system? Personal I do not care. Haven't since I read "1984" in high school. Big Brother is watching.

1607377537810.png

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
It is the auto cars that need the gear display. I don't know any manual operator that doesn't know the gear they are in.

If you have a tune ask your tuner to turn on gear display. It's a simple button push in the software. I for the life of me don't know why Ford doesn't have it turned on.

OP
OP
shogun32

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
It's a simple button push in the software. I for the life of me don't know why Ford doesn't have it turned on.
on F150 it shows if you do just one override and stays on till you turn the car off.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
If you have a tune ask your tuner to turn on gear display. It's a simple button push in the software. I for the life of me don't know why Ford doesn't have it turned on.
This. It’s almost worth the price of hptuners just to access this switch.

OP
OP
shogun32

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
if you really wanted to shift, you should have bought a manual not an auto.
agreed but the half dozen times I took an A10 mustang for a spin (I own M6) I was frequently using the paddles because the trans was not in the gear I deemed to be correct for the upcoming corner etc. And no, I'm not talking about using them in 'M' mode, but rather 'A'. Letting the car do auto-shifts during mindless and boring segments of the drive is fine.

Driving a Stinger or Charger I treated it likewise, paddles used frequently to pick the correct gear. My F150 'sport' trim doesn't have paddles but I do have a 'limit override' feature where I can set the upper-bound on the gears the truck can use. If I'm driving around town I'll set it to 7. If I'm carving corners I'll set it to 6 or sometimes 5. Then it'll demand-shift like normal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ebm

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I use the paddle shifters a lot. Under moderate to heavy throttle the paddle shifters with the A10 react and initiate the gear change pretty quickly; they are not instantaneous, though. Downshifts are also inconsistent - sometimes the trans shifts quickly with rev match into the lower gear with a nice blip of the exhaust, other times it's a more gradual/slow downshift (usually under light throttle). Under heavy throttle the downshifts are typically acceptable.

However, under light throttle there is a noticeable delay, and at times, particularly in 1st gear at low speeds, the paddle shift request isn't registered if you aren't high enough in the rpm band yet. That is the most annoying aspect, because if you don't realize it didn't allow the shift, with the super short gearing of 1st, you end up revving to 3k rpms under light throttle before realizing it didn't register (because the delay you are already waiting for it to shift), then when you realize it didn't register and again hit the paddles and it finally shifts, it makes it sound like you're trying to go fast even if you're not.

However, none of this is as annoying as I've seen on videos for the C7 Corvette Z06 paddles. Unacceptable delays even under heavy throttle, and if you hit the rev limiter before the trans has shifted, the trans doesn't register the shift request, and the engine speed has to be reduced down to 6000 rpm before it can shift, then you have to press the paddle shifter again because it forgot that you requested a shift. That would drive me nuts. It's like missing a gear, in an auto.

Sponsored

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I used the paddle shifters in S mode quite a bit with the 6r80 in my previous car, especially when taking twisty roads at an aggressive pace. With the 10r80 it's less fun for the reasons mentioned in this thread, and because there are 10 gears with no way to skip gears when shifting. I have found myself using the paddles more in D as Matt described, though.

OP
OP
shogun32

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
sorry, yes
Sponsored