Frustrating to park it all winter

SloRyd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
It is not a race car. It is not a track car. It is not a drag car.

It is a grand tourer.

By definition, A grand tourer is a type of sports car that is designed for high speed and long-distance driving, due to a combination of performance and luxury attributes.

Nowhere does it say that a grand tourer cannot handle winter weather. Many grand tourers are driven to make the drive to ski resorts and such.

Sure, many want to believe this car is only a race/track/drag car specially built for just that purpose. It is not. Jack of all trades, yes. Can it do much when raced, sure.

At its roots, it is transportation that allows the drive to be more fun.
I don’t think anyone is saying they can’t be driven in the snow, there is just a camp that prefers to not put their Mustang through harsh elements like winter weather.

Growing up in the Northeast I knew a dude who rode his BMW 1100 RS all year long. Rain snow hail did not matter.. it’s not that it can’t be done.. it’s just some people prefer not to.
Sponsored

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I don’t think anyone is saying they can’t be driven in the snow, there is just a camp that prefers to not put their Mustang through harsh elements like winter weather.

Growing up in the Northeast I knew a dude who rode his BMW 1100 RS all year long. Rain snow hail did not matter.. it’s not that it can’t be done.. it’s just some people prefer not to.
I agree and understand.

I feel it sounds like some feel that the car cannot. They do not turn to rust overnight. Every car I have owned has "slept outside". Every car were daily drivers and, other than the early stuff, did not have any rusted body panels. Sure, some iron items underneath did have surface rust but not enough to warrant replacement nor concern.

As for rusting out, it is not a Picasso or a Rembrandt. It is just a car and they make a thing called replacement parts so it can be fixed.

The only reason so many cars from the muscle car era even exist today is because someone took it all apart and replaced was was worn out, broken or rusted.

to each their own.

I will say this that when it is time for you to sell your museum quality cars with next to no miles and flat tires, I will be happy to take them off your hands for a song.

I'll stretch their legs often and regularly.

As for being frustrated parking it all winter, you have a couple choices:

1. Deal with it. You chose to park it all winter. There is no reason to complain about a choice you made. Put on your big boy pants.

2. Put some winter rubber on the car, prep it right and drive it all year long.

3. Buy something that you can have safe fun in during the winter and forget you have a car parked in a garage for a few months. Enjoy what you have available today. This is like owning a water ski and crying all winter that it is sitting in the garage. Why not go out an buy a snowmobile or ATV for the winter season and have a different kind of fun. The fun only has to stop if you let it. Find something new to do over the winter. Just leave the wife out of it. The last thing you need is an activity that results in more children. They only sap your time and reduce the available money to have more fun. LOL I jest. Kids are great too. You can teach them all about your interests.

Spartan1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Eruption Green GT 400A
It is not a race car. It is not a track car. It is not a drag car.

It is a grand tourer.

By definition, A grand tourer is a type of sports car that is designed for high speed and long-distance driving, due to a combination of performance and luxury attributes.

Nowhere does it say that a grand tourer cannot handle winter weather. Many grand tourers are driven to make the drive to ski resorts and such.

Sure, many want to believe this car is only a race/track/drag car specially built for just that purpose. It is not. Jack of all trades, yes. Can it do much when raced, sure.

At its roots, it is transportation that allows the drive to be more fun.

Oh I agree, it can be done, didn't mean to imply it couldn't. I live 5 minutes from Flat Rock, my wife is a Ford employee, so we have a million of these cars around here. People do drive them in the winter, leave them parked in their driveways, etc.

It pains me seeing one covered in snow and plowing through slush, even though you can, why would you want to? You lose all the performance aspects, and the car looks trashed covered in salt and grime. Performance and looks are why we drive them, isn't it?

Anyway, interesting debate, no right or wrong answer.

OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Since the 1990's I've been driving Chevy Silverados daily and Mustangs for fun, parking the Mustangs in the winter. A few years ago I experimented with a 2011 Audi S4, figuring it would be a fun car I could drive all year. After not being able to make it to work in the first real snowfall, the experiment ended. Just because it was all wheel drive didn't mean it worked well on snow and ice, even with snow tires. Wide tires, high horsepower and low ground clearance were a bad combination for a good 4" snowfall. Plus it just didn't "feel" right...it wasn't my personality. So after 16 months it was back to Silverados and Mustangs. All is right with the world again.

P1020181.JPG

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
Depends on you circumstances as well. If it's your only car, you have a job where being 5 minutes late more than once gets you fired then probably not the best choice. If you have other cars at your disposal, can pick and chose the days you drive or there is flexibility in your start time then it's your call whether or not you feel its a shame to drive a nice car in crap conditions.

As for the notion it's too nice a car to drive??? It's a Ford Mustang, Ford, big 3 manufacturer. plenty of more expensive Mercedes being driven in that weather. Hell my Expedition is almost double the price of my Mustang and no one gets upset about people driving them in winter, starting the twin turbo in the cold etc etc

Or it's too powerful to drive in winter, that's what your right foot is for. Or it's rear wheel drive, my first 15 years of driving were RWD with no ABS, traction control or stability control.

I get it, for some people, polishing their car every weekend, keeping it pristine, only driving it on dry days when the weather is fantastic is almost a religion and hey, cool with me, your car you use it anyway you see fit. I enjoy driving a shiny performance car as much as the next guy. But if you chose to not drive it in winter then that's your choice. My choice is to enjoy my car year round and to be honest to have it sitting tucked up in a garage for those nice days in winter when I can go out for a spin......that would piss me off no end.

Sponsored

stantonabc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stanton
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt 2020
The Mustang sits in the garage all winter because of having a truck for a DD. It's the definition of garage queen - it always looks nice because I never drive it unless the roads are dry, and it rains in Pittsburgh all the time (when it's not snowing). But it SUCKS looking at it sitting there doing nothing from November till April. I'll start it up for a few minutes while plowing snow in the driveway but that's about it. When money it tight the feeling is "damn, why I am making payments for it to sit there?" The rest of the time it's "damn, I can't wait to be able to drive it with the windows down again!" Today I put the winter wheels and tires on my wife's car as the Mustang was sitting there all quiet and shiny, and it was so frustrating thinking that it's gonna be months before being able to smell the warm fresh spring air as I'm cruising around looking at all the buds popping up on the trees. RRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!! Wife and I are moving to Arizona as soon as we retire!
By the time you retire, you would have moved on to a Mercedes or a VW.

DaveB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 gt350, 16 gt/cs (wife)
Vehicle Showcase
Here if your packing a sidearm you'll get way more jail time than the bum tryna rob you. But yah.. they don't call it Murderpeg for nothing.

Typical:
That dude needs a major case of lead poisoning

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
Try sitting in the McDonalds at the intersection of Dewdney and St Albert in Regina Sask any evening of the week. Buy your knockoffs, drugs, gift cards with a crack whore thrown in for free while going through the drive through. Makes asking for a Happy Meal way more interesting than you ever thought possible.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Try sitting in the McDonalds at the intersection of Dewdney and St Albert in Regina Sask any evening of the week. Buy your knockoffs, drugs, gift cards with a crack whore thrown in for free while going through the drive through. Makes asking for a Happy Meal way more interesting than you ever thought possible.
Exact same scenario at the McDonalds at the corner of Portage Ave & Sherbrook St here in Winnipeg haha.

Sponsored

Lime1GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I think that guy in the video was just trying to acquire a newer squeegee. Fortunately nobody innocent was hurt.
I just put my mustang away till spring a day ago as I was hoping the ice in the back lane would disappear and I'd get a few more rides out of her. Not going to happen and the summer tires won't allow me to go for a couple of minus 30 rides like my 05 use to with the all seasons on it. 4 months to go.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I just put my mustang away till spring a day ago as I was hoping the ice in the back lane would disappear and I'd get a few more rides out of her. Not going to happen and the summer tires won't allow me to go for a couple of minus 30 rides like my 05 use to with the all seasons on it. 4 months to go.
Mines been hibernating since Oct 1st. Got lotsa shit done on it so far. Did you make it out to MPR this year ?

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
Well I have a confession, :facepalm: . I also store my mustang during the harsh winter months that we have here in south florida. I drop it off at the ford dealer since i know they will take good care of it and they even give me a loaner. Explorer Platinum :crackup:

20201130_181837.jpg

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't even know it existed until I saw it on the news one day. Might check it out next summer if we're ever out of this viral thing by then.
It's awesome.. tons of hook. Ran my best ET/MPH there.
Sponsored