Sponsored

I wanted a heritage edition until I saw this. Now I can't unsee it.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
This was brought to my attention listening to Matt Farah's The Smoking Tire podcast today and it's ruined the heritage edition for me.

First, I totally understand the point of the GT350 Heritage Edition. I honestly wish this is what they had built with the limited run of 50th anniversary 2015 cars, but alas we're not celebrating the 55th anniversary I suppose. I love the Wimbeldon White paint with the Guards Blue stripes and the heritage feel of that color combination.

However, I not can't unsee the following. In Ford's infinite wisdom they chose to not only exactly copy the color of the original GT350 package, but also elected to retain the font used on the decals from 1965. This might be forgivable, but the original 1965 GT350's didn't also have a fender badge 12" away saying the exact same thing in a separate font.

50680047561_3de8985980_o.jpg

This is why I've never liked the aftermarket lower stripes I see people put on their cars as the duplicate badging in separate fonts looks terrible, it just hadn't dawned on me until today that Ford did this straight from the factory. They should have either replaced the fender badge with the GT500 snake emblem or updated and modernized the stripe font to match the existing badge font.

For those interested in Matt's take (and his complete and utter praise of the GT350R as a vehicle outside of this one decision) the audio/video starts here at 21:23 and runs until 28 minutes in.

Sponsored

Scoobs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MG GT350 sold, 2019 MG GT350R KR569
Matt has always loved the GT 350. He did a review of it when it first came out.

HEP#15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage Edition L0015
That's it.....I'm selling my HEP. All kidding aside he has a good point and you really can't unsee this.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
WW with no stripes would be clean looking.

Sponsored

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
This was brought to my attention listening to Matt Farah's The Smoking Tire podcast today and it's ruined the heritage edition for me.

First, I totally understand the point of the GT350 Heritage Edition. I honestly wish this is what they had built with the limited run of 50th anniversary 2015 cars, but alas we're not celebrating the 55th anniversary I suppose. I love the Wimbeldon White paint with the Guards Blue stripes and the heritage feel of that color combination.

However, I not can't unsee the following. In Ford's infinite wisdom they chose to not only exactly copy the color of the original GT350 package, but also elected to retain the font used on the decals from 1965. This might be forgivable, but the original 1965 GT350's didn't also have a fender badge 12" away saying the exact same thing in a separate font.

50680047561_3de8985980_o.jpg

This is why I've never liked the aftermarket lower stripes I see people put on their cars as the duplicate badging in separate fonts looks terrible, it just hadn't dawned on me until today that Ford did this straight from the factory. They should have either replaced the fender badge with the GT500 snake emblem or updated and modernized the stripe font to match the existing badge font.

For those interested in Matt's take (and his complete and utter praise of the GT350R as a vehicle outside of this one decision) the audio/video starts here at 21:23 and runs until 28 minutes in.

It does look pretty dumb now that you point it out lol

OP
OP
mavisky

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
even if font matched, doesn't work to have 2 badges/script "gt350" so close together.
Agreed which is why the only real option is to remove the standard GT350 badge on the fender and replace it with an old school Powered by Ford badge or a Snake or something else entirely.

MNGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350 base comp orange
Agreed which is why the only real option is to remove the standard GT350 badge on the fender and replace it with an old school Powered by Ford badge or a Snake or something else entirely.
Looking at it now, I think it would look fine just removing the upper badge. More in line with original that way as well.

Sponsored
OP
OP
mavisky

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Looking at it now, I think it would look fine just removing the upper badge. More in line with original that way as well.
I believe there are locating pins behind the factory badge, otherwise I totally agree.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
the only real option is to remove the standard GT350 badge on the fender and replace it with an old school Powered by Ford badge or a Snake or something else entirely
I noticed this the first time I saw it a also agree that it's redundant.
If I had one of those beauties, I believe I would purchase replacement stripes from Ford, and cut the center out of the donor door stripe. You would need to copy the overall length as well as the shape at each end... that would not be difficult.
The donor stripes would also serve to allow you to put it back to factory stripe configuration.
Just my thought...!

THOUGHT DISCLAIMER
This is brilliant, I can't believe it came from me?
'Ring-Ring'... "Mensa International, how can I help you?" "I'm in baby, wait till you hear this idea I came up with..................."

Last edited: