Sponsored

Clicking noise when letting go of gas from slight acceleration. Is this normal?

Stangpp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt premium
Hi Guys,

I am having the same exact issue, noise when letting off the gas, the noise is there no matter engine is cold or warm, and it stays at all RPM, but we can't hear it above 2K because of the engine sound (the normal sound LOL) and the road sound as well...

I took my car to the dealer many time regarding this issue, every time they told me its normal (as usual) the fourth time I insisted to do TSB 19-2140 and they proved, I just took my car 2 weeks ago and nothing changed at all, I think its something not related to the tensioner at all. I am sure there are many experts here and I hope someone help, what about the big power guys! how are they managing to add twin turbos and superchargers? what about people who built their engines, did they found a fix? are they still having this noise? even the 5.0 F150 18-19 having the same exact noise.

I tried 5w30, I tried 5w50, nothing changed the sound of this noise.

Is it a VCT solenoid? is it the butterfly inside the IMRC that is rattling? is it oil pump?

I am sure it has been found by someone..

Any help would be really appreciated

Please check the before and after TSB videos and the TSB.pdf as well

Enjoy the noise LOL

Any luck finding out what the problem is?
Sponsored

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang, '17 Mustang, '18 F150, '23 Mustang GT
Would it be the doors slapping in the throttle body? maybe it is damaged?
My 2018 F150 with the 5.0 also does this. Dealer checked some of their other trucks on the lot and advised they do the same. I don't think its damage per se...

Stangpp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt premium
My 2018 F150 with the 5.0 also does this. Dealer checked some of their other trucks on the lot and advised they do the same. I don't think its damage per se...
interesting.. I just need to find a knowledgeable mechanic who would take the time to find out where the noise is coming from. Taking it to ford is like going through a drive thru at mcdonalds they only want to get cars in and out, wont take time to actually find out where the noise is coming from and what part can be used to replace it

BlueCollarDaily

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 400a
Did you hear them do
interesting.. I just need to find a knowledgeable mechanic who would take the time to find out where the noise is coming from. Taking it to ford is like going through a drive thru at mcdonalds they only want to get cars in and out, wont take time to actually find out where the noise is coming from and what part can be used to replace it
Ford CANT do it SSM7718 prevents them from doing diagnostics on noise related complaints, this was done on purpose to put a firewall between the unhappy customer and those good dealerships that would pursue the issue....
I followed the case of a guy that was told his was normal till he had an independent mechanic do bore scope found scoring and the dealer still wouldn't help...when he dealer shopped till on did ( this was nearly a year long journey ), he made a video off the stuff they found when they changed his engine, THAT dealer that helped got in trouble for helping and this guy had to take down his videos documenting it all, to do the dealership that helped him a solid....
They just want it to make it to 60k....period...

Sponsored

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang, '17 Mustang, '18 F150, '23 Mustang GT
Did you hear them do
No. However, there have been too many complaints of this exact issue by both mustang and f150 owners for me to believe it's uncommon.

Im not saying that it being common makes it ok...

fahadco80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fahad
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 10R80 Premium 401A Package with B&O Sound System
Any luck finding out what the problem is?
Hi,

Actually I have great new, the dealer here in my country changed quite few parts and they managed to get rid of the noise when letting go of the gas paddle, they changed the TB, VCT and cam phasers.

They also changed the injectors without me knowing, they said it could be related.

Keep in mind that few months earlier, my dealer did the TSB for the second chain tensioner and that did not fix it.

I can post a video for you guys, before and after but its raining here.

Good luck for all having this issue.

Fahad

BlueCollarDaily

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 400a
Hi,

Actually I have great new, the dealer here in my country changed quite few parts and they managed to get rid of the noise when letting go of the gas paddle, they changed the TB, VCT and cam phasers.

They also changed the injectors without me knowing, they said it could be related.

Keep in mind that few months earlier, my dealer did the TSB for the second chain tensioner and that did not fix it.

Fahad
NO its NORMAL to sound that way....rolls eyes at the damn sheep eating the line from Ford....

Stangpp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt premium
Hi,

Fahad
nice!!
what is the VCT? im pretty sure the TB is the Throttle Body correct?

Sponsored

bistvan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
István
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019, EU Spec
Hi Guys,

I am having the same exact issue, noise when letting off the gas, the noise is there no matter engine is cold or warm, and it stays at all RPM, but we can't hear it above 2K because of the engine sound (the normal sound LOL) and the road sound as well...

I took my car to the dealer many time regarding this issue, every time they told me its normal (as usual) the fourth time I insisted to do TSB 19-2140 and they proved, I just took my car 2 weeks ago and nothing changed at all, I think its something not related to the tensioner at all. I am sure there are many experts here and I hope someone help, what about the big power guys! how are they managing to add twin turbos and superchargers? what about people who built their engines, did they found a fix? are they still having this noise? even the 5.0 F150 18-19 having the same exact noise.

I tried 5w30, I tried 5w50, nothing changed the sound of this noise.

Is it a VCT solenoid? is it the butterfly inside the IMRC that is rattling? is it oil pump?

I am sure it has been found by someone..

Any help would be really appreciated

Please check the before and after TSB videos and the TSB.pdf as well

Enjoy the noise LOL

Hey!

I wanted to add my own experience with this. My Mustang is from 2018 (5.0 coyote engine, 450 hp, automatic 10 speed, EU variant - aka with gas particulate filters).

I started realizing this issues about 10-15k kilometers after brand new. I took 2 videos one in October of 2019 and one just recently in Feb of 2021. The issue still exists.

I have reported the issue to the dealership in Hungary and when I did we checked out some brand new cars that just arrived and those cars too exhibit the same noise, so I was told that the sound is "normal".

My car is in for "routine" 45k maintenance and they will again check on the issue. I have sent them the TSB that you attached so thanks for that!

Here are the video links:

BlueCollarDaily

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 400a
Hey!

I wanted to add my own experience with this. My Mustang is from 2018 (5.0 coyote engine, 450 hp, automatic 10 speed, EU variant - aka with gas particulate filters).

I started realizing this issues about 10-15k kilometers after brand new. I took 2 videos one in October of 2019 and one just recently in Feb of 2021. The issue still exists.

I have reported the issue to the dealership in Hungary and when I did we checked out some brand new cars that just arrived and those cars too exhibit the same noise, so I was told that the sound is "normal".

My car is in for "routine" 45k maintenance and they will again check on the issue. I have sent them the TSB that you attached so thanks for that!

Here are the video links:

Wait so before it took 15km for you to hear it, but the new ones did it immediately? Lol fckn ford

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I hope my comment makes you feel better. I ordered a 2019 GT and from brand new it made this sound. I drove it 7k miles before it was bought back due to bad paint.

I ordered a 2020 GT and it also has done this from new. I now have about 10k miles on it.

What I have heard it is most likely is is cam phasers or something like that. When you let off the gas is when it happens. It's louder when the car is cold and gets quieter when it is warm. At freeway speeds or if you have an exhaust you can barely hear it.

Anyway, I do believe it is totally normal. Weird as it is.

I don't freak out about the weird noises anymore. I have had two cars brand new that did identical things. Both had the 2k rattle (which I am convinced is normal and related to direct injection) and the random ticking.

BlueCollarDaily

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 400a
I hope my comment makes you feel better. I ordered a 2019 GT and from brand new it made this sound. I drove it 7k miles before it was bought back due to bad paint.

I ordered a 2020 GT and it also has done this from new. I now have about 10k miles on it.

What I have heard it is most likely is is cam phasers or something like that. When you let off the gas is when it happens. It's louder when the car is cold and gets quieter when it is warm. At freeway speeds or if you have an exhaust you can barely hear it.

Anyway, I do believe it is totally normal. Weird as it is.

I don't freak out about the weird noises anymore. I have had two cars brand new that did identical things. Both had the 2k rattle (which I am convinced is normal and related to direct injection) and the random ticking.
It's not the DI, I played wirh the blends around there on tuning....ive even taken the follower out so that the lobe on the cam could not operate the DI pump...its absolutely not the DI...

If it's normal they should just be able to tell you the exact cause of the sound and why? Lol or drink the coolaid....

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
If it's normal they should just be able to tell you the exact cause of the sound and why? Lol or drink the coolaid....
OK so you don't address anything else I said except the guess I threw out about the cause. Two brand new cars do it and you want to act like it's a big conspiracy from Ford that it happens (and talk shit with your koolaid comment)? Ok dude have fun with yourself.
Sponsored