Sponsored

Mach 1 confirmed for EU and UK (Full Press release and Photos)

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
I just haven't seen anything yet that makes me go wow, for £60k I'd take this over a BMW M2 Competition or a Porsche Cayman GTS.
I'm not saying Ford can't compete at this level with a Mustang, but at the £60k mark this can't be a car of compromises or gimmicks.
Sponsored

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I just haven't seen anything yet that makes me go wow, for £60k I'd take this over a BMW M2 Competition or a Porsche Cayman GTS.
I'm not saying Ford can't compete at this level with a Mustang, but at the £60k mark this can't be a car of compromises or gimmicks.
Ford would have been better off making suspension changes and keeping the cost increase to a bare bare minimum, bullit money maybe a bit more.
The GT is full of compromises, in fact it’s a very very compromised car and one of the most compromised I’ve owned over the years but guess what it’s also pretty much joint top of my favourite (not best)cars that I’ve owned, it may well take top spot but need another 12 months in it, the Mach1 I very much doubt will remedy what needs to be if Ford expect to be able to charge a large premium for one.

if it’s £60k I unlike you would take an m2 competition and have over £10k change. However pretty sure very few m2 comps left now

Last edited:

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
if it’s £60k I unlike you would take an m2 competition and have over £10k change. However pretty sure very few m2 comps left now
You mean like me? Im saying currently the Mach 1 does not appear to have anything that would wow me over an M2 Comp or Cayman GTS.

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
You mean like me? Im saying currently the Mach 1 does not appear to have anything that would wow me over an M2 Comp or Cayman GTS.
Sorry mate I miss read your comment, I thought you meant you would take the Mach1 OVER an M2C or GTS.

I thought that was a bit of an odd comment!!!!!

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Mach 1 looks to me, on spec, to be a "Parts bin" / "Run out" model.

Exactly what spec of the Mach 1 washes up on U.K. shores, seems yet to be announced, along with the price & so until both are announced, it's difficult to know how attractive it will be to target buyers.

I'm OK with my GT.
It was costed to be cheap enough for the U.S. rental market & to fit the U.S. buyer's historical view of a Mustang being a "cheap" car.

Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Except the Mach 1 looks good. The M2 looks like every other BMW on the planet, can't tell it apart from other BMWs unless you look at the rear badge. And the Gayman... all it says about you is that you couldn't afford a 911. And both sound like crap, though you may not realize that from the inside because of the fake noise you get through the speakers. :giggle:
Now an F-Type... that's a different story... :inlove:

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Except the Mach 1 looks good. The M2 looks like every other BMW on the planet, can't tell it apart from other BMWs unless you look at the rear badge. And the Gayman... all it says about you is that you couldn't afford a 911. And both sound like crap, though you may not realize that from the inside because of the fake noise you get through the speakers. :giggle:
Now an F-Type... that's a different story... :inlove:
We all have different views which I accept, personally the M2 for me stands out from standard 2 series like a sore thumb and if you visit babybmw thats pretty much how everyone else feels and I add many don’t like the m2 for that very same reason, a 2 series on steroids.

you could say the same about the eco boost and v6 mustangs, they all look pretty much the same.

And quoting the 3 off top gear well enough said mate. The Porsche 718 whatever derivative is a wonderful wonderful car

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
you could say the same about the eco boost and v6 mustangs, they all look pretty much the same.
Of course, because they're both Mustangs. But they look like no other Ford. Not even Ray Charles could mistake a Mustang for a Focus, or a Focus for a Fiesta. Whereas to distinguish two BMWs from one another you need a measuring tape. Not to mention distinguishing two generations of the same model from one another - the SN-95, S-197 and S550 have nothing in common, while only a true BMW connoisseur can tell, say, a current generation 5-series from a previous generation one. And not even a connoisseur may be able to tell which model they're sitting in, if they see just the dashboard and instrument panel after having climbed into the car blindfolded.
That's not to bash BMWs, mind you. I love some of their models, and I keep the company itself in high regard. It's just there's more to a car than just performance and price. Yeah, on paper the M2 may be better value, but I can't consider it a true rival of the Mustang. Now an M4 might be a notable rival, but that's more expensive.

Last edited:

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
A decent spec M4 DCT competition could be had for £55k in its final 12 months of production. It would be hard to part with similar money for a slower Mustang with a cheaper interior and not as good in the handling department either. For me the Mustang stacks up as it’s cheaper and has the V8 but take either away and the Mustang starts to make less and less sense to me. Stunning looking car though.

The new M4/M3 will be in a different league to the Mach 1 and so it should be as it’s way more expensive so Ford won’t have too much to worry about as without doubt not a rival. (Until BMW start to do the usual 20-25% off list)

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think we can agree that dynamically the M2, M3 and M4 is better than the Mustang GT. But I would have to say that the Mustang stands out, looks better and sounds better than those. The M cars now sound like vaccum cleaners and look similar to each other.

But with regards to the Mach 1, I'm saying I am reserving judgement until we see final specs and reviews. But at £60k it will put Ford in direct competition with BMW M cars and at that point Ford (or should I say Ford UK who seem to enjoy ruining US imports) can't get away with compromises and gimmicks.
Ford can do it though, just look at the GT350 - I'd take that over any BMW, any day.

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I would need to actually drive a 350 or 500 to come to a conclusion on if I thought the money they are was worth it should they ever have come to the uk which they won’t. My
Initial thoughts based on $~£ price for the mustang is no way i would buy one either and I add I wouldn’t buy an m5/6/8.. In the USA where the market is very different I probably would be more tempted by a 350. On paper they both have the credentials to be significantly better than a standard GT which I’ve absolute no doubt they will be whereas the Mach1 isn’t standing out particularly for me (depending on price)
Sponsored

Last edited: