Sponsored

[Locked due to politics] Student debt cancelation. Seems there are strong opinions against it from some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnsatOFGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jordan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I partially agree..but..as we touched on before..

The military is THE biggest entity bringing lower class into lower-middle class range. I get that there are a FEW people that cannot qualify for the military, but the majority can. A lot of people just arent willing to or think they are above it. Even if they are in poverty.
I agree with this. I just wish we had more variety in the Navy. So many good potential leaders who don't join or the get out and leave us with all the crap leadership. Officers included. Just so many people who think the military is a brain dead operation and that they are too good for it or have another entirely wrong idea about it.
Sponsored

15ThreePoint7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6 MT 2019 F150 STX Ecoboost 2.7
Because I see people who I know have very little money with brand new iphones/newer cars/latest and greatest. Aka, poor financial decisions.

I also have family and friends who make good money and still couldn't come up with $500. They spend every penny they get on going out to eat, vacations, etc. On the other hand I put a lot of money away for retirement, have 529 accounts for both of my kids, and save for things I want.
So I'd like to ask you.... What type of phone do you have?. If it's not the latest gen iphone, would buying one (or signing a new contract which would give you one free)make you poor? People who make these statements in my experience have these small luxuries, and do not correlate the difference between a $1000 phone (who actually pays that?) And 500k for retirement.......

Many people who make this correlation enjoy these small luxuries themselves, but like to point out how it is a waste when talking about the less fortunate.

When would it be acceptable to "cry broke"? A flip phone, no internet, limited text? A 1 bedroom apartment with a family of 3? 1 car that needs repairs or no car and relying on public transportation? Or would they need to wait until it is no cell phone, no internet, no cable, a one bedroom apartment and no vehicle. Or do we need to go all the way back to "dirt poor" where people had shacks with actual dirt floors. Is that when it would be acceptable to cry broke?

It's simple human nature to want something more.

As far as the "some of them put themselves in that situation, not my job to bail them out" mentality, let me ask this, is one innocent person in jail acceptable? What if it was you? You did nothing wrong but every morning you wake up in a small cell and you try to do everything right but yet, every morning you wake up and it is the same Cold concrete. Again, what if it was you? Then you hear about the one guy who was able to come out of prison, become a successful author and make a decent living....... and you are supposed to channel that and follow in his footsteps and when you say "it is unfair and it is hard" they throw his story in your face to say"if he can, anyone can,. Except 1, he was guilty and you are innocent, and 2.
, you've been whittled down to a shadow of your former self.

15ThreePoint7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
The jail reference is this.... So "some people put themselves in that situation" means it is acceptable to leave them all there to you. That means some did not put themselves there. Some were victims of circumstances, and to you it is an acceptable loss to leave them there in a situation that is almost impossible to escape.

But, What if that was you? Let's say for some reason your body formed kidney stones, frequently. Let's say a tree fell on you. Your insurance is so so, and you end up with over 40k in medial bills in a couple of years after insurance and you bring home about 26k after taxes and insurance. Should you forego every single personal luxury? Do you need to wait until you are starving to death to ask for help?

When will other people's suffering be bad enough for people like you to even entertain the thought that something should be done.

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
So I'd like to ask you.... What type of phone do you have?. If it's not the latest gen iphone, would buying one (or signing a new contract which would give you one free)make you poor? People who make these statements in my experience have these small luxuries, and do not correlate the difference between a $1000 phone (who actually pays that?) And 500k for retirement.......

Many people who make this correlation enjoy these small luxuries themselves, but like to point out how it is a waste when talking about the less fortunate.

When would it be acceptable to "cry broke"? A flip phone, no internet, limited text? A 1 bedroom apartment with a family of 3? 1 car that needs repairs or no car and relying on public transportation? Or would they need to wait until it is no cell phone, no internet, no cable, a one bedroom apartment and no vehicle. Or do we need to go all the way back to "dirt poor" where people had shacks with actual dirt floors. Is that when it would be acceptable to cry broke?

As far as the "some of them put themselves in that situation, not my job to bail them out" mentality, let me ask this, is one innocent person in jail acceptable? What if it was you? You did nothing wrong but every morning you wake up in a small cell and you try to do everything right but yet, every morning you wake up and it is the same Cold concrete. Again, what if it was you? Then you hear about the one guy who was able to come out of prison, become a successful author and make a decent living....... and you are supposed to channel that and follow in his footsteps and when you say "it is unfair and it is hard" they throw his story in your face to say"if he can, anyone can,. Except 1, he was guilty and you are innocent, and 2.
Its fine to have the luxuries if YOU can afford them. When you are getting gov't assistance, or can't pay your bills, having the latest iPhone,etc. is insane.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
If they was to bankrupt their debt, their diplomas should be void, s
Its fine to have the luxuries if YOU can afford them. When you are getting gov't assistance, or can't pay your bills, having the latest iPhone,etc. is insane.
Eh I don’t feel any of it. Using an iPhone 5s myself my logic is if I don’t need the latest greatest (in my case) I have bigger bills that warrant $. I see legit people at my grocery stores pulling eBt food stamp cards out, decked out in fancy high end clothes new Jordan’s walking out to their Escalade on 28 inch rims or whatever stupid rims those dubs are here. Oh don’t forget to mention they are buying like a full cart of sirloin steaks.

I don’t even go grocery shopping around food stamp time it blows my mind the shit I’ve seen.

a lot of people just pop kids out like a factory with zero intent to better themselves, they get all the luxuries they want on our Dime: damn sickening if you ask me.

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Thing is, it has to be fair. You cannot go and cancel these peoples debts and then tell those who actually earned and paid theirs off tough luck.

call me spiteful, but I will vote against freebies everytime, they don’t need the college education to be successful. It’s a want not a need.

either join military,earn scholarships or come from money. Most people have one of these options, if not? Kinda tough luck.

You are what you make out of yourself. My family was broke, and I went military. So I will never support a lesser option of people just fteeloading.

Polski

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marek
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP2 401A
Vehicle Showcase

With the jail reference... Tree falling on you reference.... I do not think talking with you on this forum or in person would have any benefit for me or anyone else.
Make good decisions, as my father always told me "If you learn on your mistakes -you are smart, if you learn from others mistakes - you are a genius"
People going to college know for years what it will take to pay that shit later in life, so do not give me bullshit that I will have to pay for them now....

rxryanm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTP PP1
Thank you now we have two people who understand. Its easy for others who sit in ivory towers to judge but until you have been there. I too managed section 8, you dont just get handed section 8 because you are lazy and want a hand out. You get it because there is a need. just like partial loan forgiveness. I love how the haves automatically say the have nots are just lazy, don't try and just want handouts. its not like that at all.
I worked at a retail grocery store from 16-25, then as a pharmacist for a couple of years after that. In my area, those people who get food stamps/Medicaid are the majority. They pop out loads of children, have no way to pay for them other than government assistance, and are the size of small houses so they "can't" physically work. Abuse of government assistance is very real.

Because I see people who I know have very little money with brand new iphones/newer cars/latest and greatest. Aka, poor financial decisions.
Saw this a lot when I was still a cashier/bagger. New iPhones, nice clothes, new Escalades, but on food stamps.

Definitely bought those pockets. I still try to drop things in my door pocket knowing that there's not anything in there to hold it.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
If they was to bankrupt their debt, their diplomas should be void, s

Eh I don’t feel any of it. Using an iPhone 5s myself my logic is if I don’t need the latest greatest (in my case) I have bigger bills that warrant $. I see legit people at my grocery stores pulling eBt food stamp cards out, decked out in fancy high end clothes new Jordan’s walking out to their Escalade on 28 inch rims or whatever stupid rims those dubs are here. Oh don’t forget to mention they are buying like a full cart of sirloin steaks.

I don’t even go grocery shopping around food stamp time it blows my mind the shit I’ve seen.

a lot of people just pop kids out like a factory with zero intent to better themselves, they get all the luxuries they want on our Dime: damn sickening if you ask me.
I'm with ya man. I have an iphone 5S, because it still works, and I will keep it until it doesn't. my DD is a 34 year old Ford truck because if it breaks, it is cheap and easy to fix. Now, I put my wife in a newer SUV, and my big splurge is my son's private school education.

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
You are so wrong here. Inflation since 2010 till now has been about 1.8%. the cost of living pay increases most people see are 4% a year, if that, in that time the cost of education increase since 2010 is 140% the systems broke and why people need help.
Paying their school bill is not help, its welfare and we already have way to much of that. Nobody is forcing them to go to college and it is not the end all to a good paying job. The biggest problem with college is they are getting degrees in basket weaving or gender studies and can't get a job with those worthless degrees. You charge it ..you pay it, Not me, my taxes are to high as it is. And just a very quick search disagrees with your cost increase amount. According to this chart the cost has only gone up a few thousand dollars over 10 years, or 8 since that is as current as this chart is.

Screenshot_20201119-085257_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
That's actually not true. The cost of education has outpaced the pay exponentially.
Oh well, same could be said about the cost of cars, still doesn't mean they get a free ride. They made the choice to get in debt, they should pay it. To many sponges on society these days. They all think they are owed something just because life gets hard. This is the result of the participation trophy mentality. This is why we only have half the country is working and the rest sponging.

Cobrakit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PREMIUM PP1
This topic is not about helping people who need help, its about a policy to buy votes. Going to college is not a right or a requirement to be successful in life, however you define success. Not everyone needs to go to college, just tell all the folks who work in the trade industries or those folks who got a degree that they could not use. I have no problem helping folks who truly need it, but free, free, free is a bad policy for anything and its bad for the country. For all those that want to excuse debt for college students, i ask how many people have you helped go to college? Current public education does not adequately prepare our children to prosper, but free college is not the answer.

15ThreePoint7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
With the jail reference... Tree falling on you reference.... I do not think talking with you on this forum or in person would have any benefit for me or anyone else.
Make good decisions, as my father always told me "If you learn on your mistakes -you are smart, if you learn from others mistakes - you are a genius"
People going to college know for years what it will take to pay that shit later in life, so do not give me bullshit that I will have to pay for them now....
The tree was me, the jail reference was someone I knew. Am I an idiot because a tree fell on me? The person who was in jail who was innocent was Proven innocent by DNA over a decade later. Was he an idiot because he was beaten into a confession for days? Things do happen that are out of our control.

15ThreePoint7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
When I just switched companies, they were offering a new iphone for free if you signed a 2 year contract at 50 a month. I got an LG for free, still 50 a month. Most people I know have cell phones and no home phone. How would that work out if someone had no phone and they apply for a job?

As for the beggar...... I saw that news report too, but it was a rolls royce.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.