Sponsored

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
These threads tend to always go in this direction. There are going to be many who love the safety features and many who don't because they don't feel they need it. I will say one thing, having a brother-in-law who owned his plane, he would always point out that most pilots don't skip a single safety feature (affordable) when buying planes, regardless of how well they felt they were at controlling planes. I know, I know...planes, trains, automobiles.

I have the Safe and Sound and Adaptive Cruise Control; my experience has been that the collision avoidance has only come on once and that is when someone ran a red light and turned in front of me. It braked but didn't abruptly stop the car on a dime. I'll rate that feature as not being an inconvenience to me, as it has only happened once. "IF" someone else was driving my car, they may have considered that assistance to be a big plus.

I've used the adaptive cruise control a few times when traveling and the traffic had a constant speed for miles and miles. I'll rate this feature as not being an inconvenience, as I have used it and can turn it off when needed.

Lane Assist...well most would say who needs it...all I will say if you are a phone/texter type driver, you might want to keep it turned on.....or on a long trip where tiredness may come into play, it may jar you enough to avoid driving into the other lane or off the road. Sometimes I have it on and sometimes not...I tend to try to stay in my lane...if you use your turn signals to change lanes(hint, hint) it is not too intrusive.

The good thing is that at least a couple of the features will remain options and you can choose whether you want it or not. The others can mostly be defeated, if you dislike it enough to take the time to do it. Yep, you may have to do it after each startup...but hey, you get to have it your way :)
as far as safety features go..i agree. lane keeping assist is especially nice for me as i ride a motorcycle and there are a lot of idiots on their phones trying to merge onto me or run me off the road. same for backup cameras and any proximity sensors on cars, keeps them from hitting my car or bike when they park.

i dont consider cruise control, or auto start/stop safety features, and are more dependent on the person and their on personal tastes. I do believe though that if i dont want those options..i shouldnt have to pay extra for them. But unfortunately they are grouped together with other features and cant just be removed from the price.
Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Lane control is OK as it’s easy to turn on and off instantly from the button on the end of the stalk. Leave it on by default, turn it off when you want to play without interruption.

Auto start stop, who the hell would want that on a mustang ? Spend $’s on fancy pipes to have them silenced at a stop light ... ? :shock: :cwl:

WD :like:

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
I'll settle for brake boost being turned WAY the HECK down so that in a failure the brake system is actually useful. These days you can brace yourself so hard against the seat to break the ratchet mechanism as you stand on the pedal and it barely makes a dent. To be honest engine braking is probably more effective at deceleration, which is an unacceptable (and should be illegal) situation.
Growing up without power brakes, i never had a booster failure since switching to boosted brakes, i always assumed it would be the same as my old skylark or charger... lol yeah right. i installed a supercharger on my first FRS it has a 1 way check valve to the brake booster, being mine was a auto, they have a little vac pump ran off the rear cylinder from the cam for vacuum. i install it wrong lol, first application of brakes fine, second i started feeling it was different after a couple more brake applications it was just a solid pedal and nothing. im giving it everything i have and im barely slowing down. I was very thankful it was really late and the streets were dead. It was a very stupid mistake of not looking at the arrow and just installing it. but couldve ended really bad. I had no idea how big of a difference boosted brakes are now..

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Seriously Norm? I was kind of kidding when I said that. I've been driving for 50+ years and have had cars with CC for decades. Never once had to think about where I put my feet.
Sometimes humor doesn't translate very well over the internet. Sometimes I miss it entirely.

The whole point of having cruise control is so you can maintain a (relatively) constant speed without having to keep your foot on the gas pedal. That's pretty close to a verbatim quote out of the Owner Manuals from the most recent four cars I've owned (yes, I checked). I honestly don't know where else you could put your foot that would be any more comfortable, or where it wouldn't cost you extra time getting to the brake pedal.

I know you don't like a lot of this modern tech stuff but even you have to agree that there is a difference in "driving" and "commuting". When I'm on a long highway ride I'm not "driving" so conveniences like ACC are welcome. When it's time to drive, convenience stuff get turned off.
I think you just identified the major difference between us as far as the use of CC and other driver assistances (including automatics) is concerned. If I'm understanding your distinction of "commuting" vs "driving" correctly, I don't think I even know how to drive with your "commuter" mindset. Seriously. Driving is just too much fun, and no, it doesn't have to be particularly fast or aggressive to still be fun.

Norm

Last edited:

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
I hate having to be away from compooter so much now. I would loved to have jumped into this brawl a couple of pages ago.

Except for one, every vehicle I've owned had cruise control. Can't say I couldn't live without it, but there were a few trips where it was nice. I think I used it twice in my 13 GT Mustang, but traffic was lite and I wanted to see if it worked. I doubt I'll ever use it on the 19 PP2. I just don't think CC and manual transmissions go well together.

One of the biggest contributors to accidents is driver distraction and inattention. That so called safety feature in the center of the dash, aka information center is the biggest distraction inside the car. Changing the climate controls means taking you eyes off the road, and anything more than a glance is too long. Then there is talking and texting on a cell phone. In my daily commute to and from work, which is only 30 minutes, I'm almost guaranteed 2 drivers screwing up traffic because they are paying attention talking or texting on their phones. I don't even like talking on the hands free feature of my Mustang.

When you're driving, that's what you should be concentrating on. Too many people think of their cars as mobile homes that drive themselves, instead of 2 ton missiles traveling at grass top level on the edge of being out of control.

Rant off for now.

Sponsored

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
ACC on the interstates here in TX is a joke. For that matter, so is CC. Invariably, there ends up being someone in front going slower. Or, some azzwipe blows onto the highway from the ramp to the right directly in front, only to slow down precipitously. Thus, causing my vehicle to auto activate the brakes.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I have to agree with the OP statement about the 2021 Mustang having a really great interior. One of the reasons I really like my 2020 Ecoboost Premium is the interior looks better than almost any car currently produced. I suspect the 2021 Mustang Premiums have essentially the same interior. The reason I dislike most exotic high dollar super cars is because I think they have horrid interior designs. I would like for Ford to keep the interior as is for some time. The engineers and designers gave the Mustang a top notch interior.

Mr. Met

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
I have to agree with the OP statement about the 2021 Mustang having a really great interior. One of the reasons I really like my 2020 Ecoboost Premium is the interior looks better than almost any car currently produced. I suspect the 2021 Mustang Premiums have essentially the same interior. The reason I dislike most exotic high dollar super cars is because I think they have horrid interior designs. I would like for Ford to keep the interior as is for some time. The engineers and designers gave the Mustang a top notch interior.
Layout maybe - quality is 10 years behind even Ford Europe cars.

Sponsored

Mr. Met

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB
I wonder how thoughts on cruise control and acc differ by age, there should be a poll. When ever I'm in the car with my mother I always note she wont use cruise control. Her reasons are she doesn't know what to do with her foot and it wasn't in cars she learned to drive in. Always makes me laugh. I suspect its like any technology, on average newer generations are more willing to embrace it.

"To advocate replacing the horse, which had served man through centuries, marked one as an imbecile. Things are very different today. But in the ’90s, even though I had a successful bicycle business, and was building my first car in the privacy of the cellar in my home, I began to be pointed out as “the fool who is fiddling with a buggy that will run without being hitched to a horse.” My banker called on me to say: “Winton, I am disappointed in you.”

-Alexander Winton (sold first car in U.S.)
The Saturday Evening Post 1911

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Really good video. I knew this was true already having queued up getting off a ferry for half an hour of constant stop start crawling. The Mustang chews through fuel when idling to the extent that compared to my Mondeo (Fusion) with stop start I lost 30 miles of range in that hour.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
ACC on the interstates here in TX is a joke. For that matter, so is CC. Invariably, there ends up being someone in front going slower. Or, some azzwipe blows onto the highway from the ramp to the right directly in front, only to slow down precipitously. Thus, causing my vehicle to auto activate the brakes.
On busy motorways here in the UK ACC is the only thing that works (CC is no use). The whole point is that if somebody in front is going slower it slows you down to match their speed, if you want to overtake then do so. If somebody pulls in front of you then you need to brake anyway ??

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
Auto start stop, who the hell would want that on a mustang ? Spend $’s on fancy pipes to have them silenced at a stop light ... ? :shock: :cwl:

WD :like:

I believe for 2022, Ford plans to include an "auto-rev on idle" feature.
If idling for more than 7 seconds in neutral (e.g., at a stop light), it will start rev'ing the engine up and down a bit. Exhaust mode for those with the active exhaust system will also automatically switch to "track" mode during this time.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
I believe for 2022, Ford plans to include an "auto-rev on idle" feature.
If idling for more than 7 seconds in neutral (e.g., at a stop light), it will start rev'ing the engine up and down a bit. Exhaust mode for those with the active exhaust system will also automatically switch to "track" mode during this time.
Will it come with a new trunk badge as well ?

1605263397786.png
Sponsored