Sponsored

Mustang GT Premium vs Mustang GT PP1

stangman09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang
Hello Everyone!

I am looking to get a Mustang GT Premium and I am not sure if I should go with just a GT Premium or a PP1. I know the PP1 comes with all the performance enhancements and extra performance gauge but is it really worth the extra $5000 when I can do the same if not better with all the aftermarket parts that are available.

If I were to go GT premium (NON PP1) here is sum up of mods that I would do:
- GT 350 spoiler
- RTR front lip
- Ford Performance CAI
- Coilovers kit
- After market Exhaust
- After market wheels (Probably Vossen)
- Ford Performance Strut Brace
- Maybe Brembo or Wilwood Brakes

I know these are a lot of parts but wanted to know if the PP1 is a complete package to get or not. Which ever route I go I really want to make this GT my own for yours to come.
Sponsored

NotQuiteAverageJoe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS
Hello Everyone!

I am looking to get a Mustang GT Premium and I am not sure if I should go with just a GT Premium or a PP1. I know the PP1 comes with all the performance enhancements and extra performance gauge but is it really worth the extra $5000 when I can do the same if not better with all the aftermarket parts that are available.

- GT 350 spoiler
- RTR front lip
- Ford Performance CAI
- Coilovers kit
- After market Exhaust

I know these are a lot of parts but wanted to know if the PP1 is a complete package to get or not. Which ever route I go I really want to make this GT my own for yours to come.
Honestly I would try to get in and drive one of each and see what you think. The dealership I went to let me drive 4 cars with slightly different price points and a variety of options. If you check dealer inventory on the ford site you can make sure they have a PP1 and a premium available. I chose to spend the extra money on premium and cosmetics vs. pure performance because I probably wont track the car often and I promised myself I would get all the tech I could (huge screen, etc.) but if you plan on tracking it you can save some money on upgrades (strut brace, brakes, etc.) and get it ready quicker. Just remember to take your time and pick the car with the things you want in your price range.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I'm not sure if you were saying Premium __or__ PP1 in terms of cost - but they're not mutually exclusive. You can get a Premium or "standard", and in either case, add the PP1 option.

You can potentially do "better" in the aftermarket, especially in terms of performance - the obvious downside is warranty, hassle and you may wind up compromising something (ex: ride quality). Also, there are some OEM systems that you can't really replicate in the aftermarket: for example, a PP1 car with Magneride (the latter is pretty stellar).

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I'll add - with PP1 you're getting also Torsen differential, some different suspension bits (aside from different spring, shocks and bars).

You forgot to describe what your intended use of the vehicle is - given your planned mods it's not looking like it's performance oriented - if that's the case, I would ditch the coilovers and get a car with Magneride instead.

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
Before I bought my 2020 GT Premium with PP1, active exhaust, MagneRide etc I test drove ones without the MagneRide and none PP1. To me the PP1 with MagneRide was the best of all but the PP1 was far superior than the non PP1. I think that 5k for everything it comes with is a good deal.

Screenshot_20201112-220536_Samsung Internet.jpg

Sponsored

Carzzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Rapid Red 401A PP1 A10 Magneride
If you're considering pp1 while trying to save some money, configure a base with PP1 & Magneride with 301A. You'll get cloth seats, but the superb damping is worth it. You won't feel impoverished — the screen's the big one, and you do get dual zone climate.
And for 2021, isn't the the sensatech leatherette standard on the base?

I came from five years with a base 2015 gt PP (1), and its ride on scabrous pavement was quite uncouth. My spouse hated riding in it, though she gamely suffered through it. Her immediate impression of our new Magneride 2020 is one of pronounced relief at its refinement. I sprung for the 401A premium, but I don't think I'd feel bereft had I gone the base/301A/PP1-MR route.

The Magneride is that good. It transforms the Mustang, with its non-MR busy ride betraying its $25k base platform roots, to belying them.

Last edited:

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
My buddy got the pp1 car and now regrets it. Hes a modder and basically other then the radiator hes replaced just about everything that came in the PP1 so he in reality spent twice the money to get the same thing. Once for the package stuff he took off and then again to buy the stuff he replaced it with.

I get slammed here when I say this but Ill say it again. For 5k there really is not that much of a difference. My buddy and myself both have identical 19 gt premiums everything is the same same packages and options and all except he got pp1 and I did not. We hang every single week end for the last 2 years and we drive each others cars all the time. we have gone to the drag strip and we indulge on back roads. Honestly.... he will tell ya the same thing I am. There really isnt that much of a difference, normal driving everyday basically none. maybe on a track there is but on the drag strip basically who ever got the jump won wasn't because of any performance pack or lack there of. The people who say there is a night and day difference ( no offence here) I just dont see it and I drive two cars with and with out it all the time. Hes even said if he could go back he wouldn't have spent the money on it. would of just bought his own parts like he ended up doing.

If ya want it get it. but for 5k there is better places to spend the money.

Oh and people keep saying about magna ride and what a difference. magna ride is not part of the 5k pp1 package its separate. so people saying about how much better magna ride is over standard yeah it is, but its not part of the pp1 it is extra.

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Magneride
Hello Everyone!

- GT 350 spoiler
- RTR front lip
- Ford Performance CAI
- Coilovers kit
- After market Exhaust

If you’re thinking of buying brembos get a pp1. Brembo kits are like $3k. The pp1 with the premium package is worth it just for that and the dash gauges and 3.73’s over 3.55 if you’re getting a manual. I swapped everything else out to RTR and Ford performance. As you can see below. From the wheels to the springs to the chin spoiler right down to the 3.73 gears to the 4.09’s and sway bars. But this is a pp1 premium w/magneride and active exhaust. And pretty much some of the mods you’ve mentioned. If you look at my sig you’ll see how much you can do. PP1. It’s a great package but still needs upgrading to be made “unique”. For the most part I’m done with my car for now though. Lol.

6234A040-0D5F-462C-A750-A76C37DC1247.jpeg

Last edited:

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Strut tower braces are just laying everywhere. Just hit up one of the 8 million super charger buyers who can't use theirs any more. Got mine for 30 bucks.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Oh and people keep saying about magna ride and what a difference. magna ride is not part of the 5k pp1 package its separate. so people saying about how much better magna ride is over standard yeah it is, but its not part of the pp1 it is extra.
I believe the point being made is that if you want MagneRide, which is outstanding, it only becomes an available option if you order PP1.

Sponsored

Carzzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Rapid Red 401A PP1 A10 Magneride
I believe the point being made is that if you want MagneRide, which is outstanding, it only becomes an available option if you order PP1.
In my opinion, Magneride is so good, it's worth the nearly $7k upcharge with the mandatory PP1 box ticked. Especially if this car will be a daily driver for you, or if you will have passengers regularly.
You will (secretly) enjoy the great ride and (openly) revel in the superior handling on varying road surfaces. And, in normal mode, you'll never have to apologize to your passengers for a flinty ride— it'll save your marriage.
(Yes, I'm excited about my new car :D)

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
$1300 for the Ford kit. Even less during one of the many yearly sales

https://www.steeda.com/ford-racing-...m-2300-v.html#/filter:ss_ymm:Mustang$253E2019

Plus $1000 for shocks, sways, springs, etc. Added bonus that it includes lowering springs.

https://www.steeda.com/ford-perform...handling-pack#/filter:ss_ymm:Mustang$253E2019

$175 for strut tower brace. I think i got mine for much less on sale.

https://www.steeda.com/ford-perform...t-tower-brace#/filter:ss_ymm:Mustang$253E2019

$165 for K-member

https://www.steeda.com/steeda-s550-...555-5532.html#/filter:ss_ymm:Mustang$253E2019

$775 for the Torsen diff.

https://www.steeda.com/ford-racing-...-4204-mt.html#/filter:ss_ymm:Mustang$253E2019

That's $3400 total for everything except the wheels and cosmetics (spoiler, vacuum gauge...). Most of these are the exact Ford parts as well. The PP wheels are very HEAVY, with many people opting for aftermarket wheels even if they leave everything else. I'd say with good sales you can get the whole kit plus a wrapped set of wheels for at or under the $5200. Plus you get the satisfaction of wrenching it yourself.
You forgot the larger radiator, the unique chassis tune and the unique abs, epas and stability control tuning which wont matter if he doesnt track the car. Lol

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Not wrong. $526 for the radiator.

https://www.steeda.com/ford-racing-...-8005-m8.html#/filter:ss_ymm:Mustang$253E2019

Let's get real though. How much of an impact do you think the "special tuning" really has on even a tracked car. More than just doing a proper alignment? More than what the mode switches offer?
I can tell you from side by side driving that the radiator (unless on track?) dosent amount to a hill of beans. we can drive both cars the same and at end of long drives and such there is maybe a 1 to 2 degree difference between the pp1 and non pp1.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Ok gonna lay down some truth here LOL. People have to justify their purchases plain and simple. you are not gonna find a pp1 owner thats gonna say yup waste of money cause they aren't gonna admit that to themselves.

people perceive value and then believe it weather or not its actually there. Its marketing 101. go after emotions with purchases people are fairly untrue with themselves and will talk up a product even if they dont feel that way about inside. https://www.inc.com/logan-chierotti...of-purchasing-decisions-are-subconscious.html

They did a study where they took regular cheap table red wine and put it in various high dollar empty bottles then invited critics to come have a taste test. The critics all more or less reviewed the bottles based on brand and the perceived vintage. saying each was better or worse then the other how each one was of this note or that and how you could simple tell the quality wines over the cheaper brands. When they were told all the bottle shad the exact same cheap table wine they simple could not except it and said they were being told a lie.

people want to believe that if something cost more its better and if they spend the money on it they are gonna ,in their mind, believe its the best.

There was a tuning device out a few years ago could be gotten off the internet people swore up and down it change their car, made it faster, improved junky cars to make them great again. an engineer took one apart and tested it all the circuits and everything all the think was doing was making a led light blink. it was doing exactly nothing for the cars. but try telling the owners that lol.

Car people are a strange breed. They really need to be the focus of psychology students .

another car specific one is rear vertical links. Talk about something that does nothing yet they have people who will defend their purchase of them tooth and nail. Dose anyone really think jut because you changed out something for the exact same part just made of a different metal (that has nothing to do with heat dissipation) really does anything? there is a forum topic here somewhere I laughed at so hard when two of the manufacturers of these argued and the one basically said yeah buy ours if ya want but they dont do anything... the flippin manufacturer admitted it.

I love ya all and im mostly given ya crap like playing poker. but one difference between me and a lot of others is I can admit when I wasted money on something instead of just trying to find the improvement with my butt dyno LOL. Like that ford performance calibration tune... friggin waste of 1300.00 dollars (parts and install) it does next to nothing for the money.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
If you are interested in performance, get the PP1 and DEFINITELY get the Magneride.

If you're into looks, just skip it and spend the money on visual mods.
Sponsored